Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Kinetic Road Machine Questions

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-08, 09:41 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Prophet Lefty

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I set up a new KK road machine tonight. Really would like some input. Should I see black tire lines on the roller? I am assuming its from the heat. If it matters, the road bike tires are brand new.
Do I have to use the tension dial in conjunction with the gears to get the feel of a high gear? For example, when I use little tension and rely on shifting gears its not enough to stand. Finally, I realize this is not the technical term, but I get sort of a pedal slap, even when the tension is tighter and I am on the most difficult gear. It's like having it on a lower gear and going to fast and hearing that slap with each rotation on a real ride. I hope that makes sense. I am new to this, so I dont have all of the right lingo. Thanks
Old 08-25-08, 02:41 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bring the roller to a tire so it just touches the tire.

Make sure that the tire has been inflated to max. sidewall pressure. Slick, no thread narrow tires (23C) are the best to use on any trainer.

Tighten knob 2 complete revolutions.

That should do it. It is normal to hear and feel a slipping sound upon start up. But you should not hear it once the freewheel is up to speed. If you attempt large sudden changes in speed you will also get slippage.

The gears should be adequate to provide all of the resistance you need, unless you are Lance. In which case you can increase the resistance by holding the flywheel and tightening the bolt that holds it to the rollers. The factory set bolt tension is fine for 99% of us mere mortals. If you bought the unit used, maybe the previous person messed with it.

The black on the rollers is from tire slippage. You should not see a whole lot of it. Make sure you are at max pressure. and you did two complete knob revolutions.

There is a tire that conti makes that is only for home trainers that will not leave rubber and is excellent for preventing tire slippage and saving your tires:

https://www.biketiresdirect.com/pcouh...er_tire/pp.htm

You can't use it on the road, so if you do a lot of trainer and road workouts it's not worth the hassle of changing the tire. Some folks just use a spare wheel when they are on trainers.

Can't help you on the "pedal slap" since I don't know what you mean - unless you are referring to the slippage.
Old 08-27-08, 03:07 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by prophetlvr
I set up a new KK road machine tonight. Really would like some input. Should I see black tire lines on the roller? I am assuming its from the heat. If it matters, the road bike tires are brand new.
Do I have to use the tension dial in conjunction with the gears to get the feel of a high gear? For example, when I use little tension and rely on shifting gears its not enough to stand. Finally, I realize this is not the technical term, but I get sort of a pedal slap, even when the tension is tighter and I am on the most difficult gear. It's like having it on a lower gear and going to fast and hearing that slap with each rotation on a real ride. I hope that makes sense. I am new to this, so I dont have all of the right lingo. Thanks
Your tires won't stay new long; trainers tear them up.

The slap you are feeling w/ little tension is slippage between the tire and roller - you need more tension.
Old 09-02-08, 05:53 PM
Bull

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is the Skewer that is included with most trainers for bikes without or is it designed for the specific trainer and should be used instead of the factory one? I know, dumb question but I thought I'd ask since I'm new here and to the sport.

Last edited by nobull60; 09-02-08 at 06:27 PM.
Old 09-05-08, 12:11 AM
Cornish Mafia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nobull60
Is the Skewer that is included with most trainers for bikes without or is it designed for the specific trainer and should be used instead of the factory one? I know, dumb question but I thought I'd ask since I'm new here and to the sport.
It can be used instead of your own skewer or not. I don't use the KK one, it was awkward to undo afterwards and wouldn't unscrew without pliers. Probabaly just overtight though. I use one that was on my spare wheel is use on my trainer.
Get the Conti trainer tyre, trainers eat normal tyres for breakfast!
Old 09-05-08, 06:48 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
make sure your tire is clean
the dust will cause the tire to slip
use a wet dish scrubbing sponge and some windex

you can drill or scratch a mark on the knob and put some liquid paper in
the scratch so it will help you count the 2 turns
Old 09-10-08, 07:39 AM
laid back

Bikes: Rans Xstream, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you are using a spare wheel, do you change out the cassette too, or do you get a spare cassette?