Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

question about brakes for dahon boardwalk

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-08, 09:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

from the pix...the dahon boardwalk 2008 looks like it only have 1 brake for the front wheel. what about the back wheel? isn't it kinda dangerous just having a brake for the front wheel and not the back wheel. if anything i rather have brakes in the back wheel instead of the front. what do u guys think?
Old 08-25-08, 09:22 AM

Bikes: Dahon Curl i8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
The Boardwalk has a coaster brake for the back wheel. Coaster brakes are engaged when you go backwards on the pedals.

--sam
Old 08-25-08, 09:24 AM
There's a biking season?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Two things:

First, the boardwalk does have a rear brake - a coaster brake (just pedal backwards).

Second, developing the ability to brake well depends on being able to use your front brake properly. Under most conditions the front brake provides the vast majority of your braking power. On an upright folding bike this is slightly less of a factor than on other bikes, but it still holds.

Read: https://sheldonbrown.com/brakturn.html

That's not to say that you can't stop by using the rear brake primarily, but that if someday you need to stop on a dime due to an impending accident it would be good to know how to properly use your front brake.
Old 08-25-08, 09:25 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cool...even better. thx.
Old 08-25-08, 09:29 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by yohannrjm
Two things:

First, the boardwalk does have a rear brake - a coaster brake (just pedal backwards).

Second, developing the ability to brake well depends on being able to use your front brake properly. Under most conditions the front brake provides the vast majority of your braking power. On an upright folding bike this is slightly less of a factor than on other bikes, but it still holds.

Read: https://sheldonbrown.com/brakturn.html

That's not to say that you can't stop by using the rear brake primarily, but that if someday you need to stop on a dime due to an impending accident it would be good to know how to properly use your front brake.
i guess in most situation except when going downhill in full speed and then u need to stop quickly and then use only ur front brakes...guess what happen..u will flip over.
Old 08-25-08, 09:33 AM

Bikes: Too many....................

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
I removed the coaster brake /wheel on my boardwalk and went with a freewheel rim and only use the front brake.
Old 08-25-08, 09:54 AM
There's a biking season?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vincentnyc
i guess in most situation except when going downhill in full speed and then u need to stop quickly and then use only ur front brakes...guess what happen..u will flip over.
Only if you don't know what you're doing.

You need to redistribute your weight and stiffen your arms. It's not hard, but does require practice and familiarity with your brakes.

When going fast down hills, if you attempt to brake in an emergency only using your rear brakes you will take a much longer time to stop than you would using the front brake. You'll probably skid as well. The flipping over seems to be done by people who are not used to using their front brake properly who panic grab a whole lot of front brake and are not ready for it.

Again, read what Sheldon has to say on the matter.

Last edited by yohannrjm; 08-25-08 at 10:04 AM.
Old 08-25-08, 12:29 PM

Bikes: Raleigh Folder

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On the Twenty I only use the front brake. I'm thinking about removing the rear altogether. I remember when I was a kid I hated using the front brake because I didn't know how to properly. If you're older than 12, and using the front brake (in a normal situation) causes you to flip over your bars, no more bike for you. Get a Razor.