Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Hammock Camping in Long Island, Harriman State park (bear mountain), Adirondacks

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Hammock Camping in Long Island, Harriman State park (bear mountain), Adirondacks

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-08, 01:23 PM

Bikes: Trek 950

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi All,

I am planning for weekend trips in and around NYC. Long Island north and south forks, Harriman State park (bear mountain) and Adirondacks. I plan to carry Hennessy Hammock with me, and i am looking for camps where hammocks are allowed OR potential places for stealth camping in these areas.

If you have bike toured any of these places and have used hammock for camping then please let me know.

Thanks.
Old 08-25-08, 03:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
northshore LI you can find stealth camping in any of the larger parks along the shore and theres usually a big park on every peninsula (every 20 miles or so on the way out to the north fork). Theyre all loaded up there so its sparsly populated and safe at night. Just make sure you go in a few hours after closing so no staff will see you. South shore sucks because of mid class suburban sprawl (at least in nassau and west suffolk, and cops patrol the beaches at night. Theres not a whole lot of cops, but if your spending the night your pretty much guaranteed to be kicked out.