Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Pedal "clicks" when reaching apex

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 08-25-08, 06:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just bought a brand new 2009 Tricross Sport, and yesterday it started clicking each time I pedal the left pedal through the top position (when it points straight up). The sound seems to come from right around where the pedal meets the frame, however I can only duplicate the sound when I'm actually physically on the bike pedaling. When I just pedal with my hands, it doesn't make the sound.

Anyone have any clue as to what it could be?
Old 08-25-08, 06:34 PM
Keep on climbing

Bikes: 2004 Calfee Tetra Pro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/creaks.html#bottom

But if the bike is brand-new, I'd take it back to the shop and have them check it over. Make them get it right.
Old 08-25-08, 07:08 PM
Let your bike be the tool

Bikes: '66 Raleigh Carlton, '70 Ron Cooper, '95 Bianchi CD'I, Zonal Frame with Xenon gruppo, Carbon Frame with Record Gruppo, Columbia Twosome, Terry Classic, Bianchi SX, Gravity SS/FG

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 193 Posts
Are you using clipless pedals and is it possible that the cleat to pedal connection is clicking?
Old 08-25-08, 08:21 PM

Bikes: Trek 7.5 Hybrid, Trek 1.1 Road, Holdsworth touring,Raleigh International,Ritchey Commando,Italvega Speciallissimo,et.al.

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
If it is not clipless, it sounds like a bearing problem in the pedal axle. Have it looked at now and warranteed.
Old 08-25-08, 09:53 PM
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked 694 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by KevinF
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/creaks.html#bottom

But if the bike is brand-new, I'd take it back to the shop and have them check it over. Make them get it right.
I agree. The shop should make the bike right.

I've had mystery creaks and ticks in my bikes. Most I've been able to figure out in short order, but the most perplexing turned out to be a lack of grease in the pedal threads. That could be the case here since the bike is new, but then again, it might not...

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 08-26-08, 05:25 AM
jwa
moron

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stupid causes I've personally encountered in such a case: 1)tip of derailleur wire striking crank arm 2) in the old days, plastic tip of shoelace doing same.
Old 08-26-08, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had this exact problem with my Giant Boulder SE I bought a few years ago. I took it back to the shop 4 times and they never eliminated the problem. They ended up telling me to use an i-pod when I ride so I won't hear it if it bothers me that much. Nice.

It can be duplicated when you're not on the bike. Do this: turn the bike upside down and turn the crank to make the back wheel spin while pressing against the sidewall of the back wheel with a rag. This will simulate road resistance. You'll hear the clicking sound you're talking about. In my case, it seems to be coming from the cassette area of the rear wheel. To this day, I still have the problem and don't know the cause. I demonstrated it this way for a mechanic at a different bike shop and he couldn't figure it out either. If I start to hear it while pedaling, I sometimes stop pedaling and then start again, and then it makes the clicking stop unless I stop/start pedaling again.
Old 08-26-08, 05:28 PM

Bikes: Trek 7.5 Hybrid, Trek 1.1 Road, Holdsworth touring,Raleigh International,Ritchey Commando,Italvega Speciallissimo,et.al.

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
I find it unbelievable that the shop actually told you to listen to your I Pod to take away the clicking sound. Very poor service to say the least, and no interest in fixing the problem. Yes , the noise could come from a large variety of sources, but it is fixable and it just takes time to eliminate the source of the sounds, one by one. I would never go back to that shop with an attitude like that.
Old 08-26-08, 08:07 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
I had a clicking creaking noise on my Chrome Voyageur 11.8, and it drove me nuts on a recent vintage bike ride. It happened every time my right foot came up to the top. The bike was wrecked when I found it, but there was no apparent frame damage. Just the fork was bent back. I was fearing the worst, as anyone would. To make a long story short, it was coming from where the seat rails clamp to the post. I tightened the bolt another half turn, and the noise was gone. Don't forget to look for non obvious things! I have also had a brand new set of pedals make the same racket. A quick teardown and lube followed with a correct bearing adjustment solved the problem. They were way too tight.,,,,BD

Last edited by Bikedued; 08-26-08 at 08:13 PM.
Old 08-26-08, 08:08 PM

Bikes: Giant TCR Comps, Cdale R5000, Klein Q-Pro, Litespeed Siena, Piasano 105, Redline Conquest Pro, Voodoo Bizango, Fuji Aloha

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Grease the interfaces; pedal/crank, crank/bb, bb/shell
Old 08-27-08, 04:44 PM

Bikes: 1984 Nishiki Landau with 2007 Campagnolo Xenon gruppo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had the same symptom and I would have sworn it was coming from the pedal, but it turned out to be the crank arm. Tightening this fixed it. (It was a square taper crank - may nto apply to your bike)

Landau
Old 08-27-08, 05:08 PM
messenger

Bikes: pinarellos and a colnago

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
grease and tighten the pedals--- check that seat post and bolt---- check the chain ring bolts--- tighten your stem and handle bars--- change the tune on your i pod( thats not only funny-- its snarky)!