Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Our weekend trip in WI

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Our weekend trip in WI

Old 08-25-08, 09:20 PM
Greenhorn

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Our weekend trip in WI

Well, we decided to take our new LHT's out for a 2 day trip along WI great river road, HWY 35.
Aside from the hills and numerous roadkill sightings the most exciting part was me getting stung in the cheek by what I think was a wasp while going about 25 mph downhill. It was about 5 minutes into the trip and didn't swell until after I fell asleepthat nite in the tent. It did put a little damper on the trip.
Up until now we have been doing mostly "trail by rail" which are relatively flat. When we finally made it to the Hidden Valley campground in the town of Welch, it really reminded me of a scene from Easy Rider. There was a band playing and drunk people everywhere. I bet there were at least 500 people there. On top of it the cost was 30 dollars a nite!
Really though it was a....neat experience.
The bikes held up great and handled the gear really well and sailing downhill at 25-30 mph was like butter.
At the end of the trip we were able to zip through a traffic backup which ended up being a guy dying in a motorcycle accident where he was thrown from his bike. It was really tragic.
Oh yeah and we saw a deer with a severed leg resting in the ditch who we conveniently spooked

So to make a long story longer, we really do like the trails
but understand that with being able to absorb so much on a bicyle....
It can go both ways.

I would like to really thank this forum for guiding us towards the right bikes, and
allot of great touring tips I would of had to learn the hard way.

So, now I will pack baking soda for the next trip.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
biketrip2-051.jpg (96.5 KB, 50 views)
Old 08-26-08, 05:19 AM
weirdo

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Well, it sounds like you had a pretty nice trip aside from the blood. Rails to trails usually go more peacefully for you, I hope.
Old 08-26-08, 05:25 PM

Bikes: 88 Schwin Voyageur, 84 Schwinn World Sport, 85 Univega Alpina Uno, 85 Fuji Espree, 09 Novara Strada, 06 Jamis Durango, 03 Specialized Expediton Sport, 09 Surly LHT, 12 Novara Gotham

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Where did you start/end? I want to ride along the river from the Twin Cities to Iowa before the snowfall...
Old 08-26-08, 08:00 PM
Greenhorn

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We started in Prescott and then rode into Red Wing and onto Cannon Falls. The next day we rode back.
It was kinda hilly, and there are quite a few motorcycles but the scenery is really nice.
Mark
Old 08-27-08, 03:01 AM
Very Senior Member

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi San Remo and a mint 1984 Trek 720

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by combatdecoy
So to make a long story longer
I disagree - your story was too short. I love ride reports about weekend tours. I'm green with envy. Due to an accident I am unable to tour this year.
Old 08-27-08, 08:40 AM
enginerd

Bikes: Black Cat SS, Ibis Ripley v4, Cannondale Synapse Hi-MOD

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That area is very hilly. I was very surprised at all the bluffs/cliffs the first time I passed through. Ride on!