Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Bacchetta bents

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Bacchetta bents

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-04, 09:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bacchetta bents

I am curious about the Bacchetta recumbents...especially the one with the 26" wheels front and back. I think it's called the Aero. They are supposed to be very fast but they look very tall in the seat.

Are they awkward to ride in stop and go? What are the experiences with them?
Old 02-18-04, 10:38 AM
Ric
Strada, GTT2s, Hotmover

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just purchased a Bacchetta Strada about a month ago,and I have to say it's different and yes seems to be alot faster than my DF. It was a little awkward at first but there's nothing you can't handle. Just don't do what I did and buy one without riding it first, it may not be the bike for you.
Old 02-18-04, 10:38 PM

Bikes: 1971 Pugeot PX 10 - First real bike. Current ride is a new customized Bacchetta recumbent - Dura Ace/Ultegra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Picked up a frame from Bacchetta last winter and customized from bare frame to harlequin paint - there is a learning curve to the balance and the stop and go nature of the ride. I used it for commutes to and from school 16-20 mile a day - the worst of the learning curve involved the intersections - down shifting and getting in and out of the frogs I use - I also used the bent on a tour of the Lewis and Clark trail this summer - it really shined on the road. Fast manuverable and a real eye catcher. The guys at Calhoun Cycle in Mpls. really got me set up well for the tour and the guys at Bacchetta were outstanding to work w/.

I may be looking to use the Bacchetta for the road only and go to a trike for my commutes.

Tim
Old 02-19-04, 06:34 PM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
There is a group on yahoo dedicated to Bacchetta.
www.groups.yahoo.com Search for Bacchetta_Bikes
with the underline between the words necessary. Yahoo group search engine is pretty lousy. If you are
less than say 5-6" in height the seat height will be a
stretch on the dual 26", you learn rapidly to slide forward on the seat and sit uprite on the edge of the
seat to touch down. Taller riders have less difficulty.
The Bacchetta has been well received and been very
popular. It is a bit pricey but most bents are. Volae
(www.hostelshoppe.com) has given them a bit of competition.
All bents have difficulty starting compared with regular bikes, there is a
learning curve to riding them that is 200 to 400miles long.Steve
Old 02-19-04, 07:51 PM
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
I'm riding a dual 650c Volae Team and am 5'-7". I had no trouble learning to ride my Team but never could get the hang of the Bacchetta. In all fairness to Bacchetta, I may have never found the right bike shop to properly fit me.

All that aside, it's a little scary at high traffic intersections especially if there is a little incline to get started on. A short rider has to get everything situated just right before they push off so a little planning has to go into stopping and starting.

-Dennis