Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Schwinn S20 swingarm failure

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-08, 03:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What is the possibility for repair or replacement of a swingarm cracked where it meets the pivot? I have seen this failure on similar designs and so have been careful with the frame. I also realize Schwinn was long ago sold to Pacific.

I enjoy the bike, and the whole dynamic saddle to crank distance doesn't bother me for the riding I use it for. I am open to repair, but can an aluminum weld repair be depended on given the high stresses placed on the frame connection?

Thanks for your help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
swingarm_crack_xs.jpg (75.9 KB, 77 views)
Old 09-01-08, 04:13 PM
Elitist Troglodyte

Bikes: 03 Raleigh Professional (steel)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You can re-weld it, but I think you should talk to Schwinn first. (Might have to go through your LBS.)

- Will Rogers
Old 01-21-09, 08:37 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
swingarm failure too

I have the exact failure on both swingarms. The Schwinn warranty is only honored by trading your bike into Performance Bikes and getting a 20% discount on a new bike. This is at least the deal they threw my way (I'm not giving them the bike). My bike shop warned against welding together the shear or welding a sleeve around the pivot since the heat could warp the swingarm. Instead, they recommended cutting the pivot at the weld point and machining a new part to be welded on in its place. I haven't done either yet. Have you had any other recommendations, success, etc?
Old 01-27-09, 01:10 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply. No luck on my part. I received a reply from Schwinn offering some sort of discount. I never bothered getting details as it didn't seem likely it would be a very compelling one.

For the time being I've stripped my S20 and built up another frame. The advice you have been given seems to make sense though.

I'm curious about your experiences. I used to take the bike to my local shop for service when the bushings would creak. I usually do my own work, but was concerned about servicing the frame. Did your shop have any insight as to the reliability of the frame; is the stress from overtightening or is it so prone to failure irregardless?

If you have work done on the frame, I'd appreciate hearing about it. I'm still hoping to get around to it sometime.
Old 01-27-09, 08:10 PM
mechanically sound

Bikes: Indy Fab steel deluxe, Aventon cordoba, S-works stumpy fsr, Masi vincere, Dahon mu uno, Outcast 29 commuter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 53 Posts
Damn that sucks. Might be easier/cheaper to try locating a replacement rear triangle from a frame that failed in a different spot.
Old 01-28-09, 08:31 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went to a couple of bike shops and they had no concerns about the carbon fiber frame. When I told them that Performance wanted the bike in trade for the 20% discount, they gave a "don't do it" look to me. They also said that this was a poor swing arm design. The circular part of the swing arm should have been much thicker, or a different material. I'm still looking for a S20 being parted out online. I have one lead, so we'll see.
Old 08-23-10, 08:05 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Now I have the same problem all of you had. Did any of you find a great solution after all? Please, help me. Thank you very much, Luciana
Old 08-30-10, 09:13 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I talked with a specialty welder and he said he would have to remove the original pivot, make a new pivot with thicker aluminum, then weld the new pivot into place (approx $500 US). I didn't choose this option. Schwinn was bought out by Pacific Bicycles around 2000. I talked to Pacific Bicycles in March 2009 and they will not honor any of the Schwinn warrantees. This was definitely a design flaw on the Schwinn bike. Through Performance Bicycles, Pacific Bicycles offered me 20% off of a new bicycle if I gave them my Schwinn (which they would promptly scrap). Unfortunately, there are not many good options here (the Schwinn was a great bike).
Old 08-30-10, 09:42 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 76 Posts
Keep an eye on ebay, parts and frames/swingarms have been showing up for these and the Schwinn/lawwill fames.

There is at least one whole frame up right now: https://cgi.ebay.com/Schwinn-S-10-Hom...item563df091bf