Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Yes I'm a newbie, help with an old Raleigh.

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Yes I'm a newbie, help with an old Raleigh.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-08, 12:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes I'm a newbie, help with an old Raleigh. (pics included) weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

So in my grandpa's back yard i found this old Raleigh i think it's a Grand Prix, It's a pretty big bike, but I'm 6'2 so it shouldn't be an issue.

i have zero knowledge of bikes and I'm still learning the terminology. if you decide to help me out thank you, but please bear with me as i probably have no idea what you are talking about.

living in the SF bay area there is no shortage of bike shops and people with knowledge, but however the closest shop ear me i don't quite trust yet, and would prefer, (if able) to do most of the work myself.

So i believe this bike has a cottered crank, and that initially will be my biggest hurdle to get over.

if i want to do all the work myself, what tools do i need to strip the whole bike down to just the frame.

Is there a good "kit" of tools that has everything i need in it?

i would like to strip the whole bike and attempt to save the paint, however i don't think it's possible as there is a pretty good amount of surface rust. if anyone has tips on this please chime in as well. i may just have it sand blasted and powder coated locally.

so here are some pics of the bike.

and my goal for the bike is to end up with something like this:

thank you

Last edited by Acteon; 08-31-08 at 12:56 PM.
Old 08-31-08, 01:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Raleighs have non standard bottom brackets so you'll need something like a shimano uc 72 bottom bracket with the required threading. Best bet is to find a bike co op which leases out tools and strip the whole thing down. You most likely will not be able to use any of it. I used to have a raleigh record and take it from me you should just save your money and either buy a track frame or buy another old frame which doesn't have the weird bottom bracket.