Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

New Torontonian member

Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

New Torontonian member

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-08, 12:43 AM
Neophyte

Bikes: 2001 Devinci Caribou (touring bike)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New Torontonian member

Hello.

I'm 39 and recently got back into cycling -- I cycled everywhere as a kid, and even to work when I lived in Berkeley and worked in Oakland, but sold my bike when I moved east and have been out of the loop for about 15 years. I got back into it largely for fitness -- I've loaded on a lot of weight in the past 3 years after breaking my hip and biking is working well for me.

I currently own a well-used 2001 Caribou (Devinci) touring bike, which I love. (My 2nd purchase)
I also own a new 2007 KHS Alite 300 mountain bike which is a poor fit and so I'm trying to unload it. (My 1st purchase)

I'm a fulltime student (biotechnology at Seneca) in Toronto, Ontario. I'm trying to get to a century+ in one-day, and would love to actually do some touring next year. (Yesterday I did 65 km in 2.5 hours, so I'm getting there). It's great to be back in the saddle again!
Old 09-01-08, 05:33 PM
Lanky Lass

Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Hello Caribou2001, could we see some photos of the bike?

How did you wind up going to school in Canada?

Welcome to BF, and feel free to PM me with any questions !

East Hill
Forum Moderator

Old 09-04-08, 05:36 PM
Neophyte

Bikes: 2001 Devinci Caribou (touring bike)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Here's my "new" bike. The KHS that didn't work out is on Craigslist with it's own pictures. I added some SPD pedals - my first clipless... I like them a lot, but sometimes they really don't work-out well when city-riding! (I did get the dual-use SPDs so I can go old-school too.)

As to how I ended up going to college in Canada... do you want the long or the short version? How about the abridged version!!! here goes:
  • Dropped-out of high school in 1987
  • Moved to Toronto from Boston in 2003
  • Married my Canadian wife in 2004
  • Decided on a career-change in 2006
  • Started "upgrading" my math & science skills part-time
  • Began as a full-time student in 2007

For each of the above are a number of personal reasons, which I cut for brevity, but I'll detail the final line: I chose biotechnology because I want to work in research of childhood diseases (my son has muscular dystrophy, which was a big motivator).

Thanks for the welcome!
Old 09-04-08, 07:48 PM
Lanky Lass

Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Caribou2001
For each of the above are a number of personal reasons, which I cut for brevity, but I'll detail the final line: I chose biotechnology because I want to work in research of childhood diseases (my son has muscular dystrophy, which was a big motivator).

Thanks for the welcome!
That is as good a reason as I need. Enjoy your schooling, and get out there as soon as you can .

Here's hoping that your son (along with hundreds of thousands of others) will benefit soon...

East Hill