Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

advise bar "extenders"

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

advise bar "extenders"

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-08, 03:24 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Comp, Specialized Rockhopper Expert, Specialized Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
advise bar "extenders"

Hi, I am riding daily on my Trek Soho 2 - which is a nice bike and one should wish nothing more, however... I like to add two extra handgrips to my "arc" - shaped steer. I will not use them on the outer left/right side because then they will point awkwardly in the "wrong" direction. I thought it would be good to attach these extra grips a bit more close to the middle of the steer pointing upwards and a bit forward. This will give me some extra hand rests on the steer. Maybe this will help to overcome some of the numbness of the right hand after an hour ride. Any tips on this sort of extra grips?
Old 09-03-08, 04:06 PM
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Sure, put 'em anywhere you want. You could start experiencing shoulder pain, though, by having a hand position too far inboard. Other options would be bullhorn-type bars or any other handlebar (I'm pondering some swept-back bars like the On One Mary for my flatbar bikes).
Old 09-04-08, 09:30 AM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Comp, Specialized Rockhopper Expert, Specialized Sirrus Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bar extenders

Thank you for your reaction -
Old 09-04-08, 09:42 AM
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
No problem.

The funny thing about handlebars is, no matter what configuration somebody thinks of, chances are somebody else has done it already. Dig around enough and you can find commercially-available parts for building whatever you want.
Old 09-04-08, 10:54 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did not yet find extenders that you can attach right away on the right spot. The ones I found need to be slided up to their position starting at the end of the left/right of the steer. Which makes it necessary to dismantel the gears etc.
But I keep searching - it should be available somewhere I am sure.
Old 09-04-08, 11:05 AM
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Don't worry much about removing stuff from the bars. Although it's time consuming, it's pretty simple.

Bar ends with hinged clamps are indeed hard to find.
Old 09-04-08, 11:16 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Even if I can remove the stuff left and right, I will not be able to slide the ends to the position I need them to be, as the steer consists of an arced front tube that is permanently attached to an arced smaller tube that is attached to the stem. The tubes are attached almost right besides the handles and the extenders should be placed more to the middle of the steer. So, if a hinged version is not available, I may need to buy another steer after all.
Old 09-04-08, 04:29 PM
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Hmm...

I didn't see any at bikepartsplace.com, but they don't have all the brands that I've seen in stores, either.

There are tons of bar ends at https://www.bikeparts.com/search_resu...lcategory=1341 -- but I don't see any hinged versions there.

Any pics of your handlebars? All the pictures I'm finding of the Soho 2.0 are directly from the side as Trek photographed them, and I can't see anything unusual about their bars.
Old 09-05-08, 10:08 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi again, the bar looks like the one you'll find in this other thread:
https://www.bikeforums.net/general-cycling-discussion/447256-aero-bars-hybrid-trekking-bars.html
The arced one, not the butterfly; compared with that steer. Mine is a different in that the smaller tube is bigger and attached to the front bar a bit more to the ends,
Actually, after work I went to another bike dealer who's into Specialized/Cannondale - He handed over some grips with "ergonomic plateaus" to be more comfortable for your hand - I can check them and if they don't work I can return them. They also have a small metal end grip, that may overcome to slip away with your hands, but in themselfs offer another extra grip. Hope my English makes sense...

Last edited by vsopking; 09-05-08 at 10:18 AM.
Old 09-05-08, 12:00 PM
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by vsopking
Hi again, the bar looks like the one you'll find in this other thread:
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=447256
The arced one, not the butterfly; compared with that steer. Mine is a different in that the smaller tube is bigger and attached to the front bar a bit more to the ends,
Ah, ok. Yeah, I can see how that would be a problem with regular, non-hinged bar ends.

Actually, after work I went to another bike dealer who's into Specialized/Cannondale - He handed over some grips with "ergonomic plateaus" to be more comfortable for your hand - I can check them and if they don't work I can return them. They also have a small metal end grip, that may overcome to slip away with your hands, but in themselfs offer another extra grip.
Are those grips like these?

https://www.ergon-bike.com/en/grips/i...hbrc3dl2f3mrt4

I've got a pair, and they really work well. It took some time to get them adjusted just right, but once I got them set, I wouldn't trade them for any other grips. I'd recommend any grip in this style for flat handlebars.

Hope my English makes sense...
I'll let it slide -- some people who are supposedly native English speakers still can't type it.
Old 09-05-08, 02:26 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah! they look the same as the ergon grips!! - I mounted them this evening; maybe it'll work out nicely... tomorrow morning test drive - I'll take a tool with me to adjust along the way. ;-))
Old 09-05-08, 03:31 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I once wanted a special tray for holding some of my percussion shakers and other tools when I was playing percussion for a group. I couldn’t find “exactly” what I wanted so I contacted a machinist and he and I drew what I wanted. It took a few weeks but I got just the tray I wanted and it attached just the way I wanted. It might cost a bit but never overlook the work a good machine shop can do. They could design some that clamp on much like a clamp on bar mount.
Old 09-07-08, 11:22 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Robert, I may eventually do that. The ergon grips still need a test ride though, because of the s... weather I climbed on my home trainer... which appears to give me another problem; a numb butt(!), but I managed to train for more than an hour. Tomorrow I'll ride on the bike when it's better weather...
Old 09-08-08, 01:07 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, these Ergon Grips do the trick! - No numb hands anymore ;-)
Old 09-08-08, 03:51 PM
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Cool -- good to see that they worked out.