Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Another Rookie Question

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Another Rookie Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-08, 05:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another Rookie Question

So I'm definitely new to building bikes & had a quick question. I am putting together a '75 schwinn varsity & when I got it, it had no brakes . . . at all. No calipers, no cables, nada. Now I'm just about positive V-Brakes will work, My question is, are calipers more or less one size fits all, or am in for a world of hurt if I don't know the size? Any help will be much appreciated

Cheers
Old 09-03-08, 06:01 PM
Low car diet

Bikes: 2006 Windsor Dover w/105, 2007 GT Avalanche w/XT, 1995 Trek 820 setup for touring, 201? Yeah single-speed folder, 199? Huffy tandem.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I believe Schwinn Varsitys came with road caliper brakes, which mount via a single bolt above the tire. Cantilever and V-brakes mount on two posts that straddle the wheel. Your fork and frame are unlikely to have the appropriate mounts.

Also, V-brakes require a different lever than caliper and cantilever.
Old 09-03-08, 06:22 PM
Banned

Bikes: Pacific hardtail (frame only right now); Weyless SP (frame/fork right now); Jamis Dakar XLT 1.0 custom build-up (fully functional)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
JT's callin' it right -- if you have cantilever posts on a '75 frame/fork, I WANNA SEE PIX!!

Sidepulls are what you need to rebuild this golden oldie.
Old 09-03-08, 06:40 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And don't forget calipers need to know if u have 27" wheels or 700c.
Old 09-03-08, 09:29 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome thank you very much guys. I will definitely be posting pics when she's all complete.

Cheers
Old 09-04-08, 08:29 AM
Luddite

Bikes: Univega Gran Turismo, Cannondale Synapse, Bianchi Aquiletta Folder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 jsmithepa... Measure the "drop" from the brake mounting bolt to the center of the rim- brake calipers usually have a slot so you can adjust the brake pads from "x" mm to "y" mm depending on the caliper- your drop needs to be between "x" and "y". Plus, a modern double-pivot side-pull brake will be made so the mounting bolt is recessed- it won't fit on your frame without some bodging. It might be worth it, though, since brake technology has come a long way from 1975. One of the scariest things in the world is an anemic front brake when you want to stop suddenly.