Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Hub rebuild question

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Hub rebuild question

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-08, 07:41 PM

Bikes: '91 Diamond Back Sorrento, '78 Fuji Gran Tourer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hub rebuild question

My 1991 Diamondback's front wheel has a Shimano Exage hub that is possibly in need of a rebuild. I imagine this is a fairly inexpensive hub. Any way, it makes noise when riding and you can feel the friction when you spin the wheel on the bike. If it does need a rebuild and I can get the bearings and cones from a bike shop is this worth the rebuild?

Thanx for your reply
kg
Old 09-03-08, 09:20 PM
WNG
Spin Forest! Spin!

Bikes: I used to have many. And I Will again.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Disassemble and inspect the cones and cups. If the cones are pitted but the cups are smooth, then the hub is rebuildable with a replacement set of cones. But if the cups are shot, it's time for a new hub. Shimano doesn't market replacement cups for their low-end model hubs, if any.
Bearings are 3/16" Grade 25. Bag of 100 should be $4. Cones, under $10 for a pair.
A new hub can be found for as low as $10 (deore LX). But you'll need to relace the wheel and true it. Unless you know how and have a truing stand, expect to pay $.