Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Front derailleur is being a pain

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-08, 07:46 PM
Tell a thousand lies...

Bikes: Cheap-o MTB, 1980 Fuji Gran Tourer SE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Lately my gears haven't been shifting well, So I followed the tutorial on bicycletutor.com on rear derailleur adjustment, and now the rear shifter works perfectly.

The problem is I can't seem to get the front one adjusted properly. I followed the tutorial on bicycletutor. I adjusted the high and low limit screws, but when I shift into the middle chainring to test the spread of rear gears, the chain rubs on teh derailleur cage.

In the smallest front chainring, I can use the full spread of rear sprockets.
In the middle chainring, I can only use the 3 smallest rear sprockets without it rubbing.
In the largest chainring, I can use all but the largest rear sprocket.

The chain is rubbing on the "inside" of the derailler cage (that is, the side closest to the small chainring).

It seems like I could fix this with the barrel adjuster, because when I turn it, it seems to rub slightly less. The problem is, it just doesn't turn far enough. So what do I do? Is it as simple as loosening the cable using the bolt, or is this a sign of some other off adjustment? And if I do that, will that affect the limit adjustments?

I'll be trying that right now, but if anyone has any suggestions, I would love to hear them.
Old 09-03-08, 07:48 PM
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
https://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=75
Old 09-03-08, 08:07 PM
Tell a thousand lies...

Bikes: Cheap-o MTB, 1980 Fuji Gran Tourer SE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks a lot, operator! It worked. That was detailed information, which is apparently what I needed.
Old 09-03-08, 08:12 PM
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
The high/low adjustment will not be changed by redoing the initial screw. When you do the screw again you'll want to follow park tools from the beginning. I'll paraphrase for you though: tighten the barrel adjuster all the way in, then back it out a little over one full turn. Then tighten the cable as much as you can and screw it down. After that you'll adjust it again using the indexing (barrel adjustment).