Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

So... I'm a "Clydesdale"? Help me pick a new ride!

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-08, 05:17 PM
I'm just sayin'...

Bikes: Cannondale M500, Cannondale Quick 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

New member here but not new to cycling. I was an avid cyclist back in the early '90's but got away from it for years, mostly due to lame excuses. During those 15-16 years, I managed to put on an extra 50-60 lbs and now I am sick of being this way. So - I got my old Cannondale M500 Mountain Bike down off the hangers, dusted it off and started riding.

I am a big guy, 54 years old, 6'1 and when I started riding again (about a month ago) I was at ~326 lbs (former weight lifter and football player). Already, I'm down to 317 and dropping but I found out quickly that while the M500 fit fine 15 years ago, it is uncomfortable as all get out now, especially with the arthritic knees! So I've been shopping for a new bike.

Currently, I only ride paved roads but did like doing a little mild off the beaten path stuff way back then. I imagine I will still ride roads 90% of the time if not more but I do want the option to go down a decent trail now and then (once I'm back in shape) - no mountains or anything like that, just a gravel road or improved trail (fairly level). So, I think I really need a hybrid with a comfortable seating position, right?

I've narrowed it down to either a Specialized (Crossroads Elite or Expedition Elite), a Trek (7300 or Navigator 3), or a Cannondale (Comfort or Adventure). I hope to decide in a few days and then I'll get to ride a lot longer - my knees just won't take the cramped position on the M500 even though I've got the seat as high as I can along with raising the handlebars higher. Too much weight on my wrists add to the discomfort as well. I know that some of the bikes I listed are not hybrids but given my small amount of 'off-road' riding, I think they would work fine.

So, my son will get the M500 and he's excited about that. But what about me? Which new bike would you get and why? I am leaning the most to the Specialized but given the great service I got from my M500, I really am torn about not buying another Cannondale. And I really do love the Treks!

Suggestions?
Old 09-06-08, 05:22 PM
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Well, I happen to rather like Specialized, personally. My best suggestion though is to forget brand and buy the bike that you love. You'll ride it more if you fall in love with it, and it's as simple as that.

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 09-07-08, 04:30 AM

Bikes: Van Dessel CRB, Giant ATX 880,Footbike track

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get a (Country Road Bob)(Van Dessel) you can thank me later!