Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

My first-ever night ride!

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-08, 10:36 PM
Tell a thousand lies...

Bikes: Cheap-o MTB, 1980 Fuji Gran Tourer SE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It was a lot of fun. I rode 10 miles. The weather was nice and there wasn't much traffic. My goal was to find a bike trail that I've heard of, but having never ridden it, it was too dark to find the entrance (it's behind some bushes, and I only knew vaguely where to look). Even though I didn't find the trail, I took a nice leisurely ride around town.

Going 15mph at night feels more like 30. Familiar territory takes on a whole new feel. It's an exciting experience.

I had ample lighting, and I had no trouble seeing obstacles in the road. Drivers had no problem seeing me, and they were extra courteous, switching lanes to pass me rather than zipping by a foot away from me. I did have one car honk at me, but that's to be expected.

Anyway, I just wanted to share my experience, and my new love for night riding.
Old 09-06-08, 10:49 PM

Bikes: 2008 Surly LHT, 2008 Trek 7.2fx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like fun. I ride home at 10:30 every night, and enjoy it. Very little traffic, and I think my headlights (2 Dinotte 200L) set off one of the two traffic lights on the way home. Not sure why, but I never have to stop at that light... it will break "cycle" and turn green as I'm approaching it, even with traffic waiting at the intersection.

However, between you and me, I stay off the MUPs and trials at night as you never know exactly what's out there. I'm a pretty large guy and not a safety nanny, but you never know when there's some disgruntled misfit or otherwise disturbed person hiding out looking to vent a little on a target of opportunity.
Old 09-07-08, 12:42 AM
Bottecchia fan

Bikes: 1959 Bottecchia Milano-Sanremo (frame), 1966 Bottecchia Professional (frame), 1971 Bottecchia Professional (frame), 1973 Bottecchia Gran Turismo, 1974 Bottecchia Special, 1977 Bottecchia Special (frame), 1974 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
We have an annual midnight ride here that draws a couple thousand people that is a blast. People compete for the most creatively lit up bike and some look practically like christmas trees. In most places the street lights are bright enough that it doesn't seem that dark but at the end of the ride it goes through a park where there are no lights and you can't see your hand in front of your face. One year my batteries died on me in that park. That was exciting. I had to find some other cyclists with good lights and try to follow them out of the park.
Old 09-07-08, 09:56 AM
Tell a thousand lies...

Bikes: Cheap-o MTB, 1980 Fuji Gran Tourer SE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kommisar89
We have an annual midnight ride here that draws a couple thousand people that is a blast.
That sounds like a lot of fun! I want to find a night group ride in my town.