Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

"Fixer Uper" Craigslist Deal -OR- Why Not to Buy a Wall-Mart Bike

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-08, 03:56 PM
&!

Bikes: Gunnar Crosshairs (cx), Bridgestone 400 (commuter), Giant Upland (rigid mtb), 60's Schwinn Hollywood (sweetness)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think this posting is for real, but I don't think anyone could even find $50 worth of parts on this broken frame. If I didn't have to be at work Monday, I'm so sure I would camp out for hours to make sure that I was first in line at 10am to score such a sweet deal...

My favorite line: "My loss your gain." I hope the seller didn't lose any limbs when the chainstay snapped off the bottom bracket.
Old 09-07-08, 04:35 PM
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Depends. If it's an 8-speed rear and if those are Shimano trigger shifters and if they work OK, that's not a totally bad deal. If it's a 7-speed rear, no way.
Most bike flippers look for those nicer X-mart bikes that have been damaged at yard sales. But your point it correct, someone who flips bikes isn't going to pay $50. I picked up a Magna at a yard sale for $10, landed up trashing the frame, cranks and suspension fork. The rest went to various bikes as repair parts.
Old 09-07-08, 04:43 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
$40 at best.
Old 09-07-08, 05:43 PM
Sucks at loife

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Better off spending that $50 on componentry, unless you want spares for emergencies or something..
Old 09-07-08, 08:09 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nope, not quite Wal-Mart. I think I saw that at costco one time.

It still lacks the shop support, but the quality should be dramatically better than the Walmart stuff.

I saw one of those Fezzaris when I was there the other day. Rode it around until they told me to stop. But It wasn't that bad.
Old 09-07-08, 08:27 PM
Gotta Catch em all!

Bikes: 2008 Giant Rincon

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I was at Costco one day and I saw that bike. From far away I saw the small cylindical thing beside the shock that Fox shocks usually have, and I thought "wow, on a costco bike"
I went to the bike and I looked at the thing closer. It was just a cylindical plastic tube glued beside the shock. I was kinda sad