Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Club Tombay Membership Application

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-08, 09:51 AM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My sweet GF took a group ride yesterday, the Bike the Bay ride here in San Diego, affording her the opportunity to ride over the Coronado Bridge, which is normally closed to bicycle traffic (this is the first such ride in 20 years).

I couldn't go, because of my out of true wheel problem (going to LBS today, darn it!).

She had a blast, said the ride was pretty easy (26 miles or so), and ... reported her first clipless fall into a sandy area right off the bike path down the Silver Strand in Coronado when a cyclist in front of her had some trouble, and my GF had to veer off the path to avoid it, and she got into the sand, and she tipped over.

So she fell, and earned her Club Tombay privileges, and the damage to the bike is (hopefully) minor. We're having the LBS check it out -- she's got some problems downshifting now.

My question is, do I qualify for a membership on the strength of HER fall? I mean, we do live in the same house and all. And I helped her buy the bike. So, shouldn't I get membership privileges as well? Discounts, that sort of thing?

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 09-08-08, 10:08 AM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1338 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,449 Posts
Only if you marry her within 30 days of the fall.

Last edited by Hermes; 09-08-08 at 10:20 AM.
Old 09-08-08, 10:13 AM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
No, you do not get to sit in your house, be a wuss, and earn membership privileges.

Now go out and take your fall like a man.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 09-08-08, 10:16 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Not only do you not qualify................you have incurred a qualification penalty for attenpting to contrive a false application.

The membership motivation counselors advice to the jury is that we should accept nothing less than blood for a valid qualification for DG.

What say you?

However, as Hermes recomends............we could soften our attitude if you'll just go out and marry her.
Old 09-08-08, 10:18 AM
Boomer

Oh, by the way...........congratulations to DD for managing an entry level fall with little personal damage.
Old 09-08-08, 10:26 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I'm not even sure that she qualifies. It sounds like her fall was caused by slipping in the sand, not by failure to disengage her cleats.
Old 09-08-08, 10:28 AM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
I'm not even sure that she qualifies. It sounds like her fall was caused by slipping in the sand, not by failure to disengage her cleats.
Well, she rode off the road, (or is it road off the rode?) and began to lose traction. She then says she realized she was about to fall, and hadn't clipped out yet. The rest was slow motion, as she attempted to unclip while proceeding to fall. And there were LOTS of witnesses!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 09-08-08, 10:32 AM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1338 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,449 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
Well, she rode off the road, (or is it road off the rode?) and began to lose traction. She then says she realized she was about to fall, and hadn't clipped out yet. The rest was slow motion, as she attempted to unclip while proceeding to fall. And there were LOTS of witnesses!
On the surface the mechanics sound okay. However, was there any scraping, blood or bruising? Falling in the soft sand is not the same as hitting the deck on concrete. We all certainly watched enough beach volley ball to know that women in bikinis can dive into sand all afternoon. I say, no blood no fall.
Old 09-08-08, 10:38 AM
Boomer

We have past practice evidence that supports an initial membership for bloodless falls. This is not to imply however that more advanced levels of falls with style point bonus's would be looked down on by the club membership.

We are always interested in a good fall.
Old 09-08-08, 11:02 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
Sounds like a qualifying fall to me. Why didn't you give these details in the initial application?
Old 09-08-08, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
So DD did not get hurt, that's good news. Not having clipless (yet)
and not being a member (yet), I read and learn with great interest
of this Club Tombay but am not qualified to offer an opinion.

Please direct me to the club for clutzes such as myself who come
to a stop under control at a stop sign on an empty road and manage
to just tip over while using platform pedals.
Old 09-08-08, 11:23 AM
Boomer

Originally Posted by cranky old dude
So DD did not get hurt, that's good news. Not having clipless (yet)
and not being a member (yet), I read and learn with great interest
of this Club Tombay but am not qualified to offer an opinion.

Please direct me to the club for clutzes such as myself who come
to a stop under control at a stop sign on an empty road and manage
to just tip over while using platform pedals.
"Junior Tombay" where the youth of today train for "tomber par terre" tomorrow.
Old 09-08-08, 01:09 PM
"Purgatory Central"

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
[QUOTE=Digital Gee;7424221]My question is, do I qualify for a membership on the strength of HER fall.QUOTE]

Thats pretty good DG. I like that! "the strength of her fall."

Thats like applying for food stamps when you make 40 grand a year. Its "Brilliant"

I dont mean to scare you, and I'm not implying anything, but the esteemed councellers of that motivational panel could (and I mean could) possibly construe your application as a deliberate act of fraud.

I know, it sounds ugly,....and you wouldnt dare try to contrive such a malicious act,..........now would you DG!!
Old 09-08-08, 03:20 PM
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
OK. Here's the disturbing part. We haven't heard from DD! On the surface, it sounds like a qualifying fall (for her, not DG) if the "slow motion" descriptors are accurate. I am concerned that DD has not been properly counseled about Club Tombay and is not aware of the level of honor and esteem associated with membership. Like, does she realize she can get a discout at Performance with her card. Huh? Does she?
'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades
Old 10-30-08, 02:14 PM
Slow Moving Vehicle

Bikes: Felt F-70, Terry Madeleine, Novara Safari fully customized by me

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are applications closed, if not, may I submit the following?
1) Just picked up my first road bike. Having used SPD's on my hybrid I was not intimidated by them, so I didn't inspect them before taking off on my first ride. Came to the stop sign at the bottom of the hill, 2 blocks from the house and could not unclip either foot. Fell on left elbow, fracturing it. After I finally looked at the pedals I discovered that the shop had set them at max tension. Pre-ride checks are important, even if the bike just came out of the shop.
2) On my first PMC as we approached Provincetown I noticed that one guy in the group ahead of me went left, while everyone else in his team went right. I thought he might turn right to rejoin them so I swung to his left. Without looking back, or signaling, he made a left U-turn. I made an emergency hard right to avoid hitting him, and missed the hard left to stay on the pavement by an inch, front tire sank into the sand and down we went. I broke my thumb. Large group rides are hard, especially near the end when everyone is tired.
3) Again, really not clipless, but sure stupid. One night I looked back to check for a car I heard, when I looked back forward I was headed straight into the back of a parked car. That was good for a broken nose, 2 broken teeth and a badly mangled lip. At least I didn't damage the car.

I think that #3 is far more embarassing than #1, so that it should count, but I concede that #2 may be questionable.
Old 10-30-08, 02:27 PM
Boomer

#1 should do it. You should be informed however that our favorite clipless falls are 0 mph events in which injury is mostly to pride. (We do not want to scare off the uninitiated).

#2 and 3 don't necessarily qualify for Tombay membership as it is unclear if clipping in was part of the problem. As the voluntary "Membership Motivation Counselor" for Club Tombay I cannot say whether or not you are entitled to some other award for 2 or 3 but I will certainly cast a vote in your favor should it come up.............
Old 10-30-08, 03:44 PM
Slow Moving Vehicle

Bikes: Felt F-70, Terry Madeleine, Novara Safari fully customized by me

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, #1 was definately a 0 mph event, as the stop sign is at a very busy street, and a well populated school bus stop.
Old 10-30-08, 04:04 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Is it just me, or are any others too embarrassed to admit they should apply for membership? I almost went down the other day not because or clips or clipless. I decided to bring a fanny pack with me to carry my camera and a few odds and ends. I had it on with the pack to my back and after climbing a rather long hill and coasting down the backside I came to a stoplight. The fanny pack had slipped down and caught under the saddle in the back. It was all I could do to reach the ground because I simply couldn’t get off of the saddle. I almost went down on the left and then the right only to end up doing a 360 on one toe before the pack came lose and I could dismount. The very first thing I did was look around to see if anyone had been watching.
Old 10-30-08, 04:10 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Shouldn't there be some blood involved

HI,
I thought their had to be a small wound to get the award, not a suture event but maybe alittle road rash, hey I am a newbie so be nice.
Iam a little nervous cause all my rashes have healed and my knees are not covered with scabs,
I ve gone a month now without the dreaded awwwwww sh*t at the intersection..
Doug
PS I have crossed the dreaded 4mos ridding and stil alive, and the cars seem friendly now that I stopped pulling out in front of them :-)...
Old 10-30-08, 04:15 PM
Boomer

Originally Posted by Robert Foster
Is it just me, or are any others too embarrassed to admit they should apply for membership? I almost went down the other day not because or clips or clipless. I decided to bring a fanny pack with me to carry my camera and a few odds and ends. I had it on with the pack to my back and after climbing a rather long hill and coasting down the backside I came to a stoplight. The fanny pack had slipped down and caught under the saddle in the back. It was all I could do to reach the ground because I simply couldn’t get off of the saddle. I almost went down on the left and then the right only to end up doing a 360 on one toe before the pack came lose and I could dismount. The very first thing I did was look around to see if anyone had been watching.
Pics........

Perhaps its the Fred inside but I'm not embarrased at all (having first checked to see if any video's or film exists). One of my (many) Tombay falls probably recounted before you joined this forum imvolved me using my then rather new clipless pedals to make the extra power to complete the climb up a hill that I had never beaten before. Puf....Puff I arrived at the top both exhausted and happy. It was an appropriate time to stop for a drink in celebration............only to find that my legs were too finished to muster up an unclipping twist....................awww s****** darn......Thud. Another application required...
Old 10-30-08, 06:48 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What do you guys have against DD in that you told DG to marry her. If she does do something as silly as that you realize that that would take her off the list for most of us in that we are gentlemen and gentlemen do not trap an other man's trapline!
Old 10-30-08, 07:11 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
She is in.

You are out, loser.

Like anyone with a username of DD is ever out...
Old 10-30-08, 09:57 PM

Bikes: Trek 5500 OCLV, Trek Fuel EX 9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
No, you do not get to sit in your house, be a wuss, and earn membership privileges.

Now go out and take your fall like a man.
I concur -- well said, TB!
Old 10-31-08, 06:18 AM
Off your Donkey, lets go

Location: The Gardens, Roses & Orchids. Bulacan The Philippines and Red Mountain, Ca. USA

Bikes: Schwinn Mountain, Diamondback Expert Road & REI Randonee Touring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jean Beetham Smith
Are applications closed, if not, may I submit the following?
1) Just picked up my first road bike. Having used SPD's on my hybrid I was not intimidated by them, so I didn't inspect them before taking off on my first ride. Came to the stop sign at the bottom of the hill, 2 blocks from the house and could not unclip either foot. Fell on left elbow, fracturing it. After I finally looked at the pedals I discovered that the shop had set them at max tension. Pre-ride checks are important, even if the bike just came out of the shop.
2) On my first PMC as we approached Provincetown I noticed that one guy in the group ahead of me went left, while everyone else in his team went right. I thought he might turn right to rejoin them so I swung to his left. Without looking back, or signaling, he made a left U-turn. I made an emergency hard right to avoid hitting him, and missed the hard left to stay on the pavement by an inch, front tire sank into the sand and down we went. I broke my thumb. Large group rides are hard, especially near the end when everyone is tired.
3) Again, really not clipless, but sure stupid. One night I looked back to check for a car I heard, when I looked back forward I was headed straight into the back of a parked car. That was good for a broken nose, 2 broken teeth and a badly mangled lip. At least I didn't damage the car.

I think that #3 is far more embarassing than #1, so that it should count, but I concede that #2 may be questionable.
Did you ever think of taking up "Tricycling"?
Old 10-31-08, 06:26 AM
Off your Donkey, lets go

Location: The Gardens, Roses & Orchids. Bulacan The Philippines and Red Mountain, Ca. USA

Bikes: Schwinn Mountain, Diamondback Expert Road & REI Randonee Touring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have my badge of five chain ring teeth marks, Got a knee a few months ago and a knee maybe 10 years ago

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.