Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

hub suggestions

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

hub suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-08, 11:29 AM

Bikes: 2009 Custom TI Frame Road Bike, all 2007 Campy Record, Campy Euros Wheelset

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
hub suggestions

your suggestions: I am in the process of building a component list for a Moots Mootour:

with avid road BB-7 brakes. This bike will usuually be pulling an Extrawheel trailer. I'm having the tabs for canti's put on the frame too - in case I want to tour with panniers and have rack mount issues with the disc brakes.

what hubs would make sense for the disc equipped wheels? what would you recommend, and why?
Old 09-08-08, 12:06 PM

Bikes: 1985 Univega viva Touring, 1995 Treck Y22, and a 2003 Comfort bike.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't have any sugestions for hubs, but rack compatibility isn't an issue.

Super Tourist DX Tubular Rack w/disc mounts. From what I've seen, this has a load limit of about 45#.

Explorer Tubular Rack w/disc Mounts. This one has a limit of 55 pounds. I ordered this one for my Marin Navato that I'm setting up as my commuting rig.

flyingcadet

Last edited by flyingcadet; 09-08-08 at 12:07 PM. Reason: I don't win spelling bee's...
Old 09-08-08, 12:31 PM
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6218 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
Originally Posted by jbpence
your suggestions: I am in the process of building a component list for a Moots Mootour:

with avid road BB-7 brakes. This bike will usuually be pulling an Extrawheel trailer. I'm having the tabs for canti's put on the frame too - in case I want to tour with panniers and have rack mount issues with the disc brakes.

what hubs would make sense for the disc equipped wheels? what would you recommend, and why?
For that bike, Phil or Hope or Chris King disc. Anything else would be a mustache on the Mona Lisa

Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 09-08-08 at 12:35 PM.
Old 09-08-08, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Shimanos better than all of them put together,except Phils.

I knew something was missing from that picture....I'll bet she shaved it off.
Old 09-08-08, 12:43 PM

Bikes: 1985 Univega viva Touring, 1995 Treck Y22, and a 2003 Comfort bike.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I didn't even look up info on the bike...

I agree, anything other than Phils, or Chris Kings is like pearls before swine. I don't have any experience with Hope hubs, so no advice there.

droolingcadet
Old 09-08-08, 12:46 PM
Tinkerer since 1980

Bikes: Coppi racer, Old school BMX, some random a fixed wheel convertion

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Royce

EDIT wrong link!
https://www.genisysconsulting.co.uk/royce-uk/hubs.htm

Last edited by TheBrick; 09-08-08 at 12:50 PM.
Old 09-08-08, 03:58 PM

Bikes: 2009 Custom TI Frame Road Bike, all 2007 Campy Record, Campy Euros Wheelset

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
think i like the chris kings, have some on my roubaix. We are checking into whether the mootour can be ordered with 135mm spacing. its a custom built frame, i bet the answer is yes.

what fork should I use with the disc???
Old 09-08-08, 04:13 PM
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
You probably know this, but those BB7 brakes weigh a ton...

This might be one case where building a rear wheel on a tandem axle would make sense. The 145mm, doesn't do that much for spoking angles but it does allow some extra space and to not have a dished rear wheel while running disc brakes. DT is one option, and probably phil and others. Shimano doesn't have a hardened axle, possibly because it isn't all that necesarry but it is a nice to have, I have seen bent axles. Plain bearings as in the DT are a nice feature cassette bearings are not as free turning, massive, and how do you go ceramic? Personally I am going with Phil. XT with hardened axles is a nice cheap option.

Last edited by NoReg; 09-08-08 at 04:20 PM.
Old 09-08-08, 07:26 PM

Bikes: Gunnar Crosshairs, Giant Trance, Felt Breed, Marin SS MTB, Felt Pyre BMX bike, oldschool GT trials bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
phil or kings...nothing else is close to worthy.

I like the kings best, the machining looks like its out of an f1 car and they come in all kinds of sexy colors. another thing i usually consider an advantage of the kings is the company themselves...except...phil wood is equally as awesome
Old 09-09-08, 07:37 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Peterpan1: the weight is worth it. I live in NM, I do some touring with the extrawheel trailer on STEEP forest service roads in the Rockies. the discs are for long steep descents on washed out unmaintained roads. I am a musician and need to protect my hands, which are developing issues from all the hanging on to the brakes while being pushed downhill by the loaded extrawheel trailer (50 pounds including trailer weight).

interesting idea using a tandem axle. why would this (140mm spacing?) be better than the MTB spacing (135mm)??
Old 09-09-08, 07:45 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
phil wood. period.

I like them better for durability than the 'kings I owned. But both are nice- The kings have quicker engagement (more pawls) and lend themselves very well to technical riding. But for touring and dependability the phil wood hubs cannot be beat. They are also completely field serviceable with 5mm allen wrenches. If you want to save a bit of money then get the freewheel version.
Old 09-09-08, 08:39 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i have kings on my climbing/descent road bike (a strengthened and lightened roubaix). i think the extra pawls make for smooth downshift going uphill. this bike will be pulling a trailer up gnarley forest service roads. the extra pawls alone may be worth it. for touring, these roads, while not as bad as technical MTB trails, get PRETTY bad, expecially considering you are pulling a trailer. OTOH, these roads dont have TRAFFIC or PEOPLE on them!!!!

thanks for the replies.