Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

How weatherproof is a low-end mtn bike?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-08, 03:08 PM

Bikes: Marin Verona road bike, Cannondale F300

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,

Are 4-5 year old low-end mtn bikes (<$500) sufficiently weatherproof to handle a cross-country trip mounted on a car? I'm worried about rain getting into all the bearings and requiring an overhaul.

Thanks!
Tai
Old 09-08-08, 03:36 PM
Strong with the Fred

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My mtb is an 07 but it was about $245. brand new. I ride in the rain often and have no problems yet. I've had the bike for 8 months and it has a double life as work commuter on weekdays and trail bike on weekends.
Ernest
Old 09-08-08, 09:15 PM
Rat Bastard

Bikes: Cannondale Prophet, Specialized S-Works SL2, Specialized S-Works Stumpjumper

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your bikes ability to withstand the elements is very much a function of how well you maintain it. Are the hubs clean and lubed, the chain too. Brush out your derailleurs so that there is no buildup of mud and debris. Wipe down the stanchions of your fork to remove any dirt or grit that can be driven into the fork seals. If you bike is full supsenson do the same for the shock and then check that the bushing and hardware are clean and tight. Finally, make sure that brake calipers, rotors, and levers are clean. If your bike is well maintained a little weather on the roof rack isn't going to do much to harm it.

If you're really worried I've seen windscreens that attach to the bars and rack to provide protection from roadspray.

Mike