Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Trike or two wheels for steep and rough roads?

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-08, 09:16 AM

Bikes: Rawlings Drakkar, Specialized Roubaix, Pivot, Challenge Trike, Tandem

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Live in the La Sal Mountains of SE Utah. The mountains are very steep. The rough road has grades of 14% to 19%. My Garmin reports a bit of 20% on one climb.
Would a trike be a good choice for these roads?
Ron Kiefel says the downhill is like nothing in the Alps. It is called "The Blue Comet" because it is very fast.

https://skinnytireevents.com/content/view/262/119/

What recumbent would you recommend?
Old 09-10-08, 12:05 PM

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If invited for a ride there and allowed to bring only one of them, I would bring the Trice Q even though the Rocket is good on hills. I'd make it to the top faster (ok, less slowly) on two wheels but would enjoy it much more on three.
Old 09-10-08, 06:52 PM

Bikes: 2005 Performer Toscana, RANS V3 steel, RANS Citi, Kona Hoo-Ha

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Climbing 14% for any distance and maintaining stability will be extremely tough with a two-wheeler. Maybe plan on walking. Plus, descending steep washboard without full suspension could be scary and stressful. As much as I like my SWB, I avoid roads like that.
Old 09-10-08, 07:18 PM

Bikes: Rawlings Drakkar, Specialized Roubaix, Pivot, Challenge Trike, Tandem

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Moab Century

Moab's fall century is on this route. I live 7/8 of the way up the steep part. Maybe I could hide in the trees and wait until bikes start going by. I could emerge from the trees and people would think I simply took a leak.
Old 09-10-08, 08:02 PM

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CHAS
Moab's fall century is on this route. I live 7/8 of the way up the steep part. Maybe I could hide in the trees and wait until bikes start going by. I could emerge from the trees and people would think I simply took a leak.
A fixie might be best for that particular purpose. <G>
Old 09-11-08, 03:51 PM

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 181 Posts
I love my trike and will be riding it along the main road through Zion National Park in Utah this weekend, perhaps not far from you. It gives a fantastic view. The downside to most trikes is they are heavy. I ride a Greenspeed GTO, one of the best on the market, but it weighs 42 pounds equipped for a distance ride. There isn't a hill it will not go up, even with this 65 year old engine, but it can be mighty slow on a steep grade. Someday I'm going to do the bike trail out the back end of nearby St. George. It has some pretty good ups and downs. This is a wonderful area to ride in.
Old 09-12-08, 10:42 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trike beyond doubt.
The stability has 2 major advantages:
1) you can gear so low it would be impossible to stay aboard any two wheeler at a similar speed.
2) the off road and rough road stability is with out peer, you have 3 wheels after all, its very difficult to fall over.

Tom
Old 09-13-08, 04:51 PM

Bikes: Kona Cinder Cone, Sun EZ-3 AX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom2slow
Trike beyond doubt.
The stability has 2 major advantages:
1) you can gear so low it would be impossible to stay aboard any two wheeler at a similar speed.
2) the off road and rough road stability is with out peer, you have 3 wheels after all, its very difficult to fall over.
True on (1)...not quite so true on (2): A two-wheeler can stay upright on side slopes and uneven terrain that will tip over a 3-wheeler. Further, you need only a very narrow track to get a two-wheeler through a rough spot, where a three-wheeler rider might have an impossible time finding passable paths for all the wheels.
Old 09-14-08, 04:17 AM
It's easy being green.

Bikes: Trek Beach Cruiser, Sun X-2 AX (bent)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by deraltekluge
True on (1)...not quite so true on (2): A two-wheeler can stay upright on side slopes and uneven terrain that will tip over a 3-wheeler. Further, you need only a very narrow track to get a two-wheeler through a rough spot, where a three-wheeler rider might have an impossible time finding passable paths for all the wheels.
I'd be scared of the downhill. I'd be going much slower on a trike than on a bicycle. Then again, I'd ride slowly either way.