Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What's your top speed on a flat road?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-08, 01:08 AM

Bikes: 2012 Scorpion FX trike, 2016 Catrike 700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

From time to time I decide to determine my top speed on the bike. I try to have strict rules on getting that speed. The rules mean that I am on a flat surface with no decline at all, no wind and no drafting.

A couple of years ago when I started riding the top speed was 23 MPH. As I have been riding more the speed has come up a little at a time. This evening I finally broke 30 MPH. Actually, I set my MAX speed on the GPS as I knew it had been a couple months since my last self test and it was time for another. My best then was 29. Today the reading was 31.2 MPH. Breaking over the 30 MPH mark was so much fun.

Does anyone else occasionally test their speed? Do you have your own rules for your test run?
Old 09-11-08, 05:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do intervals twice a week on a standard flat route. Top speed for me is 34 something, but I can't hold it long. It's not so much that the lungs won't go longer. Rather, I can't keep my legs spinning that fast and pushing that hard very long. I suppose if I had a higher gear, but not really interested in changing the set up I have now.
Old 09-11-08, 06:17 AM
Rides again

Bikes: Giant OCR T, Trek SC

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
23 or 24, if the moon is right, else about 20
Old 09-11-08, 06:23 AM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sometimes after doing interval workouts I'll do some sprints from a standstill. My home is on a cul-de-sac and it is a slight uphill then flat from our driveway entrance out towards the subdivision entrance. I will roll slowly to our mailbox then do a "jump sprint" racing thru gears until I pass a point about 600' (third mailbox) from the start. My computer will show the maximun speed for the rep. I usually do 4 to 5 of the sprints with about a 4 minute recovery. I average about 31 to 33 mph as a top speed. My best top end speed doing that excersize is 35.8 mph.
Old 09-11-08, 06:25 AM
The "now retired" Old Guy

Bikes: Trek Madone 4.5

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I gave this question some serious thought, then decided this.

Since my top speed ever was going down a pretty steep hill with a 20mph tailwind and was under what you guys are posting for top speeds on flat ground.

I believe that I will abstain from answering this question.

"The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
Old 09-11-08, 06:50 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
As fast as I need to go, but not as fast as I want to go.

Enjoy the ride.
Old 09-11-08, 06:56 AM
el padre

Bikes: Rans Stratus, ICE TRike, other assorted

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I dont do so much "top speed" as much as average speed on a ride. Of course whether I am pushing or just riding hard will affect that average speed. The top speed is a good indicator of one area of riding and the 'average speed' tells me something different.
Old 09-11-08, 06:59 AM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
My top speed on a flat road is 32 mph. I can go about 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile. For anything longer, it's probably 20-22 mph. Don't ask what my average speed is for a 30 mile ride. Nowhere near 20-22 mph.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 09-11-08, 07:06 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeArkansas
From time to time I decide to determine my top speed on the bike. I try to have strict rules on getting that speed. Do you have your own rules for your test run?

When I first purchased the road bike I decided to see how fast I could go. I chose a flat section of a local trail. I was able to go 27 mph for about a half mile The bike is capable of higher speeds - the rider isn't

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 09-11-08, 07:29 AM
TCR Advanced SL

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My top speed on the flattest road around here is 32 mph. I was toast after the sprint. The flat sections around here are very short and barely long enough to work through the gears.

A-Jet ---- that 35.8 is impressive. Lp
Old 09-11-08, 09:13 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Not going to crow- and it was on a Tandem- I was at peak fitness and the pilot was up for it. 45mph on the flat and we were still pulling on the pedals. It came to a sudden halt when the lungs gave out on the pair of us. Cadence of 150 finished us. and I have never got anywhere near that speed since.

And on a road bike- Boreas of course- I have a flattish route that I normally show a top speed of just under 30. May be down a slight slope but can't be far off my Max.

Spike Milligan
Old 09-11-08, 09:20 AM
TCR Advanced SL

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Stapfam ------ you are da man !!!!!! Lp
Old 09-11-08, 09:32 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Let's hear from some of the TT'ers. Hermes, Velodiva, et al. We are talking the max speed attained over any distance at all (100 yards etc.) I have to believe that a fit rider on an aero bike can go really fast.
Old 09-11-08, 09:33 AM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My top speed on a flat road has not been measured. Bear in mind, however, I'm riding a white bike so it's likely to be quite high.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 09-11-08, 09:39 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
My top speed on a flat road has not been measured. Bear in mind, however, I'm riding a white bike so it's likely to be quite high.
Next year, Cateye will be releasing the bicycle calendar for your use.
Old 09-11-08, 09:53 AM
Time for a change.

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Spinz@50
Stapfam ------ you are da man !!!!!! Lp
Naw----You get a tandem wound up and nothing is going to stop it. But this was also when Me and Stuart were at our peak fitness for a big ride that we used to do every year. You have to be fit for that one

And I don't worry about speed- As long as I can climb those damn hills. For me that takes a different technique and it does cut the top speed.

Spike Milligan
Old 09-11-08, 10:14 AM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Spinz@50
My top speed on the flattest road around here is 32 mph. I was toast after the sprint. The flat sections around here are very short and barely long enough to work through the gears.

A-Jet ---- that 35.8 is impressive. Lp

I started to enter races this year and have followed a "self administered" training program beginning last fall. Even at our age imporvements in speed and fitness can be made with a training plan and effort. I will say doing those sprints, I mentioned, are not without a little "discomfort". The first several times I did the set it reminded me of the sprint intervals we did on our college track team. I know I gave it maximun effort when at the finish of the interval I don't know weather puke or mess my shorts, then after a couple minutes it all starts again. The rewards on group ride sprints against others' have been worth the suffering. BTW, my 24 yr old son will sometimes do them with me and he can hit 39+ mph on the same sprint.
Old 09-11-08, 10:19 AM
robusto400

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Roubaix Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do not really track max speed over a certain run. I am more concerend with my average speed over the ride (which of course will vary depending upon terrain and distance). Most of my rides are about 25-30 miles over rolling hills and some flat areas. My goal is 15mph but not always there.
Old 09-11-08, 10:32 AM

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
My top speed on a flat road was 39 mph, and I averaged over 30 mph for several miles. This was with a small tailwind. Usually I'm a little slower. Here's the story.

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...415&highlight=
Old 09-11-08, 11:14 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Before I got sick, I could consistently hit about 30mph on a flat road with no wind. My best last year was 33mph. Last week I was able to do 21mph.
Old 09-11-08, 11:17 AM
Time for a change.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Before I got sick, I could consistently hit about 30mph on a flat road with no wind. My best last year was 33mph. Last week I was able to do 21mph.
Thats just the body adjusting to get you climbing hills better- And BD- Besides the Treatment- what drugs have they put you on?

Spike Milligan
Old 09-11-08, 11:49 AM

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
26.2 MPH for me the other day.

There are some fast 50+/60+/70+/80+riders out there. The same day I was moving along at about 19 or 20 when an ancient geezer I didn't recognize passed me as if I were at walking speed spinning at a high rate and running rock steady.
Old 09-11-08, 11:51 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
Thats just the body adjusting to get you climbing hills better- And BD- Besides the Treatment- what drugs have they put you on?
I'm not taking anything now. I have some pain pills to take as needed, but I haven't needed them lately. They didn't give me EPO if that's what you mean. My red count is a little low, but not enough to warrant meds.

I will be taking a weekly infusion of one chemo drug, Carboplatin, when my radiation treatments begin next Monday.

Sorry for the hijack, let's get back to the top speed discussion. I'll check mine again this weekend.
Old 09-11-08, 11:53 AM

Liked 14 Times in 3 Posts
34.7 is my best sustained (approx 1/2 mile) so far. still had another cog available, and i think my cadence is improving. time will tell....
average speed on longer rides varies between 18.5 and 20....

be well,

jim
Old 09-11-08, 11:58 AM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
A few weeks back, I hit 37.5 in a final sprint to the end of the ride. On a closed-course car track, I've been timed by laser at 39 mph.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.