Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Heart Rate, Age and training activity

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-04, 05:43 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

Spent about 45 minutes on the trainer this morning, building heart rate up from 120 to 140 over the time by increasing resistance, based upon my age (64yo) and getting to about 80-90% of predicted Max HR (220-64= 156; 80% of 156 = 125 bpm).

Went out on the bike for a couple of hours later, with HRM and found that my HR went up to 160 bpm or more quite quickly and easily on hills with headwind.

Recently read in a HR training manual that max heart rate may NOT fall 1 beat per year for those who stay in top condition. This book said it might not drop at all!!

Concluson - I need to set a higher HR when training on the trainer!

However, as longer days and warmer weather are coming, I will not have to worry much about this until next winter, hopefully!!
Old 02-28-04, 06:30 PM
rider of small bicycles

Bikes: Cannondale

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Spent about 45 minutes on the trainer this morning, building heart rate up from 120 to 140 over the time by increasing resistance, based upon my age (64yo) and getting to about 80-90% of predicted Max HR (220-64= 156; 80% of 156 = 125 bpm).
That same heart rate book (if it's the one I'm thinking of) should caution you about using the formula above to determine MHR.

On a side note, I too have noticed that my heart rate increases when outside compared to the trainer. Must be adrenalin or the extra effort required to pay attention to the road, steer the bike, etc.

-mark
Old 02-28-04, 07:28 PM
Banned.

Originally Posted by geneman
That same heart rate book (if it's the one I'm thinking of) should caution you about using the formula above to determine MHR.

On a side note, I too have noticed that my heart rate increases when outside compared to the trainer. Must be adrenalin or the extra effort required to pay attention to the road, steer the bike, etc.

-mark
Thanks.

I am well aware of the numerous formulas for approximating MHR, and also that you don't really know until properly tested at a sports or medical facility. Just thought it was sort of interesting.
Old 03-02-04, 11:09 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Many chinese think that american'body are more better than chinese',beacuse american 's food is very excellent(beaf and beaf......). But I think that is big mistake!!!! If they read the articl of DnvrFox,they must be konw the more important is the style of living but not food.How wonder words of"Bike till you die!!".
Old 03-03-04, 06:32 AM
Banned.

Originally Posted by chenhao
Many chinese think that american'body are more better than chinese',beacuse american 's food is very excellent(beaf and beaf......). But I think that is big mistake!!!! If they read the articl of DnvrFox,they must be konw the more important is the style of living but not food.How wonder words of"Bike till you die!!".
I hardly eat any beef!

I eat a lot of vegetables, fruit, nuts and whole grains, and chicken and some fish.
Old 03-03-04, 07:03 AM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2985 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally Posted by chenhao
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hardly eat any beef!

I eat a lot of vegetables, fruit, nuts and whole grains, and chicken and some fish.
What is so bad about a few ounces of lean beef per week?
Better than processed garbage food.

FXjohn
Old 03-03-04, 07:10 AM
Banned.

Originally Posted by FXjohn

FXjohn
I didn't notice anyone saying there was ANYTHING "bad" about eating beef. I simply stated I did not eat much beef. There IS a difference.

But, I don't eat processed garbage food, either!
Old 03-03-04, 07:33 AM

I hardly eat any beef!

FXjohn

I didn't notice anyone saying there was ANYTHING "bad" about eating beef. I simply stated I did not eat much beef. There IS a difference.

But, I don't eat processed garbage food, either!
OK...you just felt like proclaiming you don't eat much beef..my mistake

By the way, I don't eat much bacon.

FXjohn
Old 03-03-04, 07:37 AM
Banned.

FXjohn
I was responding to Chenhao's statement

beacuse american 's food is very excellent(beaf and beaf......).
that the Chinese folks around him think that all Americans eat a lot of beef, and indicating that was not necessarily true, at least for me.

I will bow out of this now, as I am not interested in flame wars, etc.
Old 03-03-04, 07:44 AM
Don't Believe the Hype

Bikes: 1999 Steelman SR525, 2002 Lightspeed Ultimate, 1988 Trek 830, 2008 Scott Addict

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
how about testing how your HR increases by increasing cadence not resistance

just curious.
Old 03-03-04, 07:47 AM

Quote:

FXjohn

I was responding to Chenhao's statement

Quote:
beacuse american 's food is very excellent(beaf and beaf......).

that the Chinese folks around him think that all Americans eat a lot of beef, and indicating that was not necessarily true, at least for me.

I will bow out of this now, as I am not interested in flame wars, etc
It was never intended as a flame(did you see the smileys), I was just responding to the subject of "eating beef". It could be taken many ways, Someone could be a fat slob and eat a lot of greasy burgers, or a healthy person and eat a healthy lean beef dish several times a week. Don't be so sensitive, denver.

FXjohn
Old 03-03-04, 07:55 AM
Banned.

It was never intended as a flame(did you see the smileys), I was just responding to the subject of "eating beef". It could be taken many ways, Someone could be a fat slob and eat a lot of greasy burgers, or a healthy person and eat a healthy lean beef dish several times a week. Don't be so sensitive, denver.

FXjohn
Okay, I will try to not be so sensitive.
Old 03-03-04, 07:55 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I picked up a HRM a few weeks ago and have used it on 3 rides so far. I'm 44 and in at 258lbs right now. I have maxed at about 180bpm which is pretty close to my calculated max. My avg HR during my last 3 rides has been 162. In reading the Sally Edwards book (picked up yesterday) I think I need to slow things down if I want to lose weight, which is a goal. I'm going to try that today during a ride and see how it goes.

The HRM sure has made the rides a bit more interesting for sure.

I know everyone is different, but I sure would like to hear some comments on my numbers.
Old 03-03-04, 07:57 AM
Banned.

Originally Posted by RiPHRaPH
how about testing how your HR increases by increasing cadence not resistance

just curious.
It goes up with cadence just as you think it might - not sure exactly what you mean here. I go up to cadences as high as 160 rpm with little or no resistance, and the HRM shows about 140-145.