Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Kents, again

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Kents, again

Old 09-15-08, 09:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kents, again

I have read many of the back threads on Kent folding bikes, but since that time there are new models. Has anyone tried those?

I read the Kent FAQ at Ride This Bike, and was struck by their claims that the bikes are lighter than others, use standard parts, and use a more shock-resistant alloy:
https://ridethisbike.com/labels/bike-FAQ.html

Clearly these claims can't be totally accurate since if their techniques are so good, there's nothing stopping the more expensive companies from copying them and it seems like few do. Still, I am intrigued.

For a budget consumer, the choices seem to be a 32 pound KHS Mocha 6 spd 20" ($245 shipped from Black Dog's clearance sale), a 32 lb Schwinn 20" ($170 shipped), 24 lb Kent Superlite Nexus 3 speed 16" ($230 shipped), and lucky CL or ebay finds. The KHS seems to be the favorite of this board, but it weighs as much as a standard hybrid. Even if they are off about the weight of the Kent, it still probably weighs less than 32 lbs.

Does anyone know anything about the new Kents? Could they be a good choice for a budget-conscious consumer who also wants a lighter bike, but doesn't care particularly for folding elegance?

My particular reason for seeking a budget choice is because I recently moved to Baltimore and work a few blocks from pockets of desperate poverty. I don't want to stick out as I would with a Carryme, which would otherwise be my choice, and just don't feel right owning anything particularly expensive right now. I just want a bike where I will take up less room on the subway and escalator than I currently do with my hybrid. And a lighter bike would also be nice.

Thanks for your thoughts!
Old 09-15-08, 09:51 AM

Bikes: 2007 Dahon Mu P8

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bike617
I have read many of the back threads on Kent folding bikes, but since that time there are new models. Has anyone tried those?

I read the Kent FAQ at Ride This Bike, and was struck by their claims that the bikes are lighter than others, use standard parts, and use a more shock-resistant alloy:
https://ridethisbike.com/labels/bike-FAQ.html

Clearly these claims can't be totally accurate since if their techniques are so good, there's nothing stopping the more expensive companies from copying them and it seems like few do. Still, I am intrigued.

For a budget consumer, the choices seem to be a 32 pound KHS Mocha 6 spd 20" ($245 shipped from Black Dog's clearance sale), a 32 lb Schwinn 20" ($170 shipped), 24 lb Kent Superlite Nexus 3 speed 16" ($230 shipped), and lucky CL or ebay finds. The KHS seems to be the favorite of this board, but it weighs as much as a standard hybrid. Even if they are off about the weight of the Kent, it still probably weighs less than 32 lbs.

Does anyone know anything about the new Kents? Could they be a good choice for a budget-conscious consumer who also wants a lighter bike, but doesn't care particularly for folding elegance?

My particular reason for seeking a budget choice is because I recently moved to Baltimore and work a few blocks from pockets of desperate poverty. I don't want to stick out as I would with a Carryme, which would otherwise be my choice, and just don't feel right owning anything particularly expensive right now. I just want a bike where I will take up less room on the subway and escalator than I currently do with my hybrid. And a lighter bike would also be nice.

Thanks for your thoughts!
Stretch your budget and get a Downtube, it seems to be like a much better choice.
Old 09-15-08, 10:04 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
The Kent folder has a couple of problems.

One is the frame design, with the BB attached behind the seat tube; this makes for rather bad ergodynamics. I can't imagine why they did this. It can't be fixed.

Another is that it's hard to get both the seat high enough and the handlebar low enough; the designer of this bike, like many folding bikes, thinks people are short and want insanely high handlebars. The taller rider will be bothered by the low seat; the shorter rider will be bothered by the high handlebar. Somewhere between the two there may be a rider for whom the bike can be fixed but, depending whether you have the right parts in the bin, it may be expensive.

Finally there's the gearing. The six-speed derailleur is the worst; all six of them are too low. The Nexus-3 is great improvement. I have a six-speed that I have modified to a three speed (sturmey archer) and can attest that improving the gearing in this way more or less fixes the problem.

Bottom line, I think, is the Nexus 3 speed hub fixes the worst of the bike's problems but, obviously, doesn't address the others.

I should add, I really like the Kent's unusually short (152 mm) crank arms; most bikes come with 170 mm arms, which I find too long.
Old 09-15-08, 10:04 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New realease from Kent. Aluminum frame this time.

https://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ct_id=10304012

Should ride better than the old one due to the position of the bottom bracket.
Old 09-15-08, 10:34 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ridethisbike has a new post on the new kent.
looks much better. I think he hopes to get a 3spd internal gearhub version
and keeping it under $300.
Old 09-15-08, 10:38 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by Joako
New realease from Kent. Aluminum frame this time.

https://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ct_id=10304012

Should ride better than the old one due to the position of the bottom bracket.
Ah, uh, thanks, I hadn't seen that one. You may be right, it may ride better than the old one. It's still got a derailleur, which is bad idea with this size wheel. And those fenders are useless.
Old 09-16-08, 12:54 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, everyone, for sharing your thoughts.

Originally Posted by rhm
One is the frame design, with the BB attached behind the seat tube; this makes for rather bad ergodynamics. I can't imagine why they did this. It can't be fixed.
Oh, that is weird. I had to look up again what a BB was, but now that I look at it, that must be uncomfortable to pedal. Oddly enough, I am short and really do like absurdly high handlebars, though.

And I just noticed the Schwinn may be much heavier than I'd thought --- a few sites say 39 and 40 lbs! I have a Schwinn hybrid that I'm very happy with --- aluminum, bottom of the line ($280 in 2006), bought for a summer in LA and I kept it because I was really happy with it, pretty light (30 lbs or so) --- but it looks like the Schwinn folder wouldn't be as nice.

I will look again at the Downtube and Carryme, and maybe go down to the bike123 people this weekend and try out some bikes.

Thanks!
Old 09-16-08, 06:51 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a 6 spd Schwinn folder and it weighs at 32lbs with pump and bottle. High gear is good on hills, but lowest gear is a little slow. Still great for getting exercise and ease of transport.
Old 09-17-08, 07:24 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mervic
I have a 6 spd Schwinn folder and it weighs at 32lbs with pump and bottle. High gear is good on hills, but lowest gear is a little slow. Still great for getting exercise and ease of transport.
Oh, that's great to hear, then. The websites have pretty divergent weight estimates. Glad to hear the weight from someone who has one. I have been happy with my Schwinn hybrid --- even though they're not supposed to be that great anymore, I think mine compares well with my Jamis citizen --- go glad to hear that their folders are also good. Maybe I will go with that. It's $75 less than the KHS Mocha, and a little less flashy. Unless I got something really light like a Carryme, I would want to lock it outside anyhow.

So, it looks like the somewhat reasonable sub-250 folders are, with all prices including shipping:
- Schwinn Hinge 1 speed, 20", 170 at Amazon
- Schwinn Loop 7 speed, 20" 180 at Strollers.com and BJs.com (out of stock at Amazon)
- Boardwalk 1 speed, 180 at Performance Bike but out of stock til 11/08
- KHS Mocha 6 speed 245 at Black Dog Bicycles
- Kent 6 speed, $174 at Walmart.

The Gekko, the only cheap one that rolls while folded and which looks like it could pass as medical equipment so I could roll it through a hospital, is apparently under some kind of intellectual property lawsuit, so they've been off the market for a year.

Last edited by bike617; 09-17-08 at 09:44 AM.
Old 09-18-08, 08:24 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Choosing a good budget bike

Originally Posted by bike617
So, it looks like the somewhat reasonable sub-250 folders are, with all prices including shipping:
- Schwinn Hinge 1 speed, 20", 170 at Amazon
- Schwinn Loop 7 speed, 20" 180 at Strollers.com and BJs.com (out of stock at Amazon)
- Boardwalk 1 speed, 180 at Performance Bike but out of stock til 11/08
- KHS Mocha 6 speed 245 at Black Dog Bicycles
- Kent 6 speed, $174 at Walmart.
I visited the bike123 people, and discovered that I need a 16" bike because the 20" are just so bulky, and I'm just 5'2". They were very accommodating in letting me try a range of bikes, but I was surprised they had so much attitude against people on budgets, so talking with them was not super helpful. With no budget constraint, I would likely get a Mobiky. I also liked the Carryme, but did not feel fully secure on it. I really liked riding a 16" used Dahon 3 speed ($200), the kind all over ebay, except I was afraid for my fingers in all the little parts, so would probably never actually fold it.

My new requirement to have a 16" or under bike really cuts down my possibilities. The only one from the original list to survive is the Kent, and I suspect I might not like riding it as much as the used Dahon. I also prefer to have no derailleur. But with the used Dahon, I am afraid for my fingers getting caught because folding is so awkward, so I have a new list:

- Curve D3, $400 performance bike with 15% off coupon + tax = 420
- Dt mini 440
- Carryme 2007 version, $400 alternative vehicles
- Ride this bike's 12" 1 speed, $180
- Used Dahon 3 speed at bike123, $200 + tax = 210

If I did want a 20", I would have gotten a Dahon Vitesse which is $350 from some airplane store. The 20" Downtubes are a nice ride, but the top tube was too long for me, while Dahon mariner (the only one they had) was a good fit.
Old 09-19-08, 10:29 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a bike!

Okay, I completely wasted 3 days looking for folding bikes online. It became an obsession, and I needed to move on with my life, so wanted to get something. The options were, from least expensive to most expensive, full price including tax and shipping:

- ~$200: Various used Dahons on ebay and at bike stores.
- $320, Dahon 16" "Dream" 6 speed with derailleur on ebay, including back rack and fenders
- $425 2007 Carryme from alternative vehicles, including free bag
- $445 Curve D3 from Performance Bike
- $472 Downtube Mini

Folding the older Dahons feels like putting my fingers too close to a closing car door, they're rather heavy, and most importantly it's incredibly time-consuming to try to buy something popular like this through ebay. I was shocked how many auctions for these used ones went above $200. If I can get one for $50, I might do that and give it to my parents as a gift since they wouldn't want to fold it anyhow. My mother had a folding bike stolen in the 60's and still mentions it from time to time.

The ebay Dahon from China is a bit of a risk, but it does seem to be a real bike. I figure it is like my Korea-edition paperback college math textbook --- made slightly cheaper for the Asian market. I would prefer an internal hub to a derailleur, but if that's the only problem with it, that's minor and I could probably learn how to install one eventually if I wanted to have an educational project. I like that it has a rack already there, and it was $125 less than the next 16" option. It also comes in pastel colors, so is less flashy than the red one. (I love the red, don't get me wrong, but Baltimore is the wrong city for anything flashy.)

Ironically, before I discovered this option, I decided to order the Curve from Performance Bike, but their website was so slow and dysfunctional that I decided to try again in the morning.

I love the Carryme and would consider paying $100 more to have an almost 10 lb decrease in weight and several inches shorter wheelbase, but I didn't even find it especially easy to roll it while folded --- there just wasn't a comfortable position to roll it from --- I was hoping I could hold the handlebars like the handle of a rolling suitcase, but that doesn't work. I think I will eventually get one just because it's so appealing to take a bike as airplane carry on, but will wait for improvements to the folded rolling first.

Thanks everyone for all your help!
Old 09-19-08, 08:21 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bike617, I feel like I am your folding bike shopping twin! I have been researching all the same bikes as you and have visited mt airy bikes also. I too, am ready to make a decision and move on with my life. This has been a weeklong research project. There is another folder I am looking at called the Sun Cayne Rambler. 3 speed nexus with coaster brakes, folds to 12" x 24" x 26". The weight is unknown. All American Bike Center in Damascus has one on order for me, with no commitment to purchase if I don't like it! Price is 420. I am hoping it is light weight and rides well! If you are interested in riding it I will let you know when it is.
Old 09-19-08, 09:44 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Downtube Mini and be done with it!
Old 09-19-08, 11:02 PM
mjw

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Random thoughts:

I bought my dahon from bike123- Yes they're not cheap but, for me, it was worth it for the free tuneups and because I don't own a car. Larry, the owner, is a really nice guy and I was corresponding with him via email.

Regarding ebay, if you pay buy using paypal you are protected up to $2000 and if you pay through paypal via your credit card (rather than checking account), you are doubly protected because you can dispute the charge with your credit card company. I guess the bigger risk is that you won't like it.

The builtin rack on my 20" dahon has a big problem with my heel striking anything I put on the rack, so I've found the rack mostly useless. With your smaller feet, you may not have that problem though. A removable rack can be found cheaply as an afermarket item.

Are there used downtube minis? Occasionally you will see some good craigslist deals.

I'm sure there are other threads where they talk about making bikes look more "beat"- try searching?