Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Double crank with triple shifters and longcage?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-08, 11:21 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Can I switch out a triple for a double crankset without switching out the shifters and long cage derailleur? I see Ultegra doubles on Icycleusa for under a hundred bucks. Having a hard time finding triples (105)for under $200.

Will it work? I have DA on another bike so not looking for a highend rig, just my riding/beater bike. 15,000 miles on the Bonti crankset so it's pretty much junk. I can live without the triple.
Old 09-16-08, 12:06 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
I won't tell the shifter/derailler that grannies missing.You'll probably need to change the BB to a shorter one for the double so your chainline isn't off.

If the crankarms are OK and you can live with it,you can buy new chainrings much cheaper than $100.You probably only need the outer 2,I wouldn't think grannies worn too bad unless you do loaded touring.

Last edited by Booger1; 09-16-08 at 12:14 AM.
Old 09-16-08, 07:02 AM

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Depending on your shifter model, many were made to handle either a double or a triple. All 9-speed 105 and Ultegras were as well as 10-speed 105. All Campy Ergos are double/triple compatible.

Even if you have a triple-specific shifter you can use it on a double by adjusting the inner limit screw appropriately.

The rear derailleur is completly indifferent to what's up front as long as it has the needed chain wrap capacity. Your long cage will be fine, it will just have capacity you don't take advantage of.
Old 09-16-08, 10:24 AM
Elitist Troglodyte

Bikes: 03 Raleigh Professional (steel)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz
I see Ultegra doubles on Icycleusa for under a hundred bucks. Having a hard time finding triples (105)for under $200.
Really? Try eBay. They're pretty common, and often sold with BB. Any Shimano triple road crank will fit, and work. You should be able to score something for $30-100.

- Will Rogers
Old 09-16-08, 12:07 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for the time and info guys, looking good and in my favor!

TW, brifters ar 105 and der''s are Ultegra. Crank is Bontrager so I plan on swapping the BB too!