Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Tire size conversion help

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 09-16-08, 03:14 PM

Bikes: Trek 7.2 FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi everyone, I'm a newbie biker, and I just bought myself a new computer (even managed to install it with no problems!). I'm trying to figure out what my wheel factor is.

I have a Trek 7.2 FX and it says that I have a wheel size of 700 X 35C. The data point I need to enter is the wheel factor, or the distance in millimeters per one turn of the wheel. Per the instructions, a 700 X 32C has a wheel factor of 2155, so I'm assuming that it will be just a bit higher than that. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-16-08, 03:34 PM
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,092 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by acuteot
Hi everyone, I'm a newbie biker, and I just bought myself a new computer (even managed to install it with no problems!). I'm trying to figure out what my wheel factor is.

I have a Trek 7.2 FX and it says that I have a wheel size of 700 X 35C. The data point I need to enter is the wheel factor, or the distance in millimeters per one turn of the wheel. Per the instructions, a 700 X 32C has a wheel factor of 2155, so I'm assuming that it will be just a bit higher than that. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
That's about right for a 700C x 32mm. You won't be off by much. If you really want to be accurate, get on the bike, mark the tire with something and ride in a straight line until the mark shows on the pavement. Measure the distance. Perhaps do several tests and average the results. But I'll bet they come out around 2160 +/-0.5
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 09-16-08, 04:46 PM
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1774 Post(s)
Liked 1,230 Times in 851 Posts
Your tire diameter would be 6MM more, so that times PI would be about 19MM more.

I just "lasso" my tire with a string, and measure the string.
Even if you are off by "a few" MM, remember that's in over 2000 units. 20 "parts" off is only 1%, which is far more accurate then your car!
Old 09-16-08, 04:52 PM

Bikes: Trek 7.2 FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for your help! The exact number is 2173.8, so 2174, I had initially but in 2175, so I got pretty close!