Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Good weather

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Good weather

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-08, 09:58 PM

Bikes: Raleigh SC30

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good weather

So the last two days have been really nice so I was able to ride to work & back home (100 miles round trip for two days) and it felt good. The weather is cool in the mornings but not bad and the nice thing there is NO WIND!!!!!

I know there aren't many more days like that left so I'm trying to take advantage of all I can. This weekend will be another good weekend to ride.

I am setting at 3,668 miles & hope to get 4,000 by the end of the year, I don't think that is to bad for my first year on a road bike.
Old 09-18-08, 10:06 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's great!

I want to know what the people at work think about you riding 100 miles round trip for two days, to work. People give me a hard time for walking 15 minutes to my car!
Old 09-19-08, 05:20 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is one other guy that has ridden bikes for 20 years so he understands, the other think I'm crazy.

They just can't imagine someone riding there bike 25 miles & then work 8 hours (I work in a warehouse so I'm on my feet all day) and then get back on the bike for another 25 miles to go home.

It takes me 1 hour & 25 minutes to get home on my bike & when I drive it takes me 35-40 minutes so it really isn't that much longer plus I get in my exercise for the day and that leaves my evening open to do other things.

Old 09-20-08, 09:03 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Today was another beautiful day so me & a friend had decided to go for a ride. Last night I was at my folks & a couple from our bike club were over helping him find his lot line & they said they were going for a ride as well & we could join them so I called my friend & she said that would be O.K. with her.

It was a route that I haven't done, it is up by Ft. Collins and the road is called Rist Canyon. I had heard it is one of the harder climbs in this area so I haven't been to excited to do it.

We left at 10:30 and it is a 20 mile ride just to get to the bottom of the climbing, then you start out easy & it just keeps getting worse. The last 9 miles in the worse part & then the last 2 miles you think you will die. I was in my lowest gear & only doing 4mph and tsl will tell you I'm new this year at riding but I'm not that bad of a rider.

It took us 4:30:42 to go 64.14 miles and we averaged 14.2 mph.

The best part of climbing is getting to do the decent & just like most of them it only took us maybe 15 minutes to come down. My max speed was 52.4 & I did get a little crazy on one of the switchbacks & almost wasn't able to get slowed down enough to get turned. In fact the rear tire locked up & I just slid sideways to make the corner, dirt bike riding does come in handy sometimes.

At least I can say I've done it & I'm not sure how soon I'll be doing it again, but I know once I tell my buddy he will be wanting to do it maybe.

The weather was perfect & it is always a great day when you can go out & spend some quality time with friends.