Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

ID Campy Crank

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

ID Campy Crank

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-08, 07:35 AM
OldSchool

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts
ID Campy Crank

It looks to me like the FD is Super Record, but I am not as sure about the crank. Thanks for any help in identifying! And what would be the timeframe of these components? Thanks!

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by cpsqlrwn; 09-22-08 at 06:43 AM.
Old 09-20-08, 11:09 AM
# BF-STL-00020

Bikes: Cinelli, Pinarello, Rossin, Gitane, Trek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cranks are Record w/ Nouvo Record chainrings, and yes they are missing the dust caps.
Old 09-20-08, 12:25 PM
vjp

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
FD is Nuovo Record. I believe that the Cinelli BB is a "Spoiler" model. It came out in the 80's when AERO ruled the bike biz.
Old 09-22-08, 06:50 AM
OldSchool

As a followup to this, I am somewhat confused on the distinctions to be made. From VeloBase, the photos below are supposedly NuovoRecord on top and Record below. What is the difference that I am missing and what is the difference in the rings? The only thing I can see is maybe a difference in the ring bolts and it looks like the small ring is different perhaps. The Record small ring is solid all the way around while the Nuovo small ring has open slots inside the teeth. The owner of the bike I am looking at thinks his crankset (pictured above) is Super Record.

Last edited by cpsqlrwn; 09-22-08 at 06:53 AM.
Old 09-22-08, 07:19 AM
FalconLvr

Bikes: 62 Falcon, 58 Raleigh Lenton Gran Prix, 74 Raleigh Pro, 75 Raleigh Int, 75 Raleigh Comp, 76 Colnago Super, 75 Crescent, 80 Peugeot PX10, plus others too numerous to mention!

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 68 Posts
"Record" generally refers to the first generation alloy crank Campy made that had a 151 bcd chainwheel set on them. They then moved to a 144bcd size in the 60's, what we generally refer to as "nuovo" (Italian for "new") record, although I believe campy still referred to it as "record" in the catalogues. In the 70's campy came out with a new chainring configuration that was somewhat lighter and differed in construction details. These were the "Super Record" chainrings. However, there was really no change in the actual crank arms/spider, so the only difference between the 2 at the time was which chainring was on there, and they could be mixed! Lots of campy parts seem to have "acquired" the "Nuovo" and "Super" designations even tho in the campy catalogues they were just "record". So, thats probably confusing enough for now!
Old 09-22-08, 07:43 AM
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
the crankarms are "record" in both groups. In the SR group you got rings w/o webbing. In the NR group you get webbed rings. Look for a single digit number on the back of your crank to ID the year.
72 Frejus (for sale), Holdsworth Record (for sale), special CNC & Gitane Interclub / 74 Italvega NR (for sale) / c80 French / 82 Raleigh Intl MkII f&f (for sale)/ 83 Trek 620 (for sale)/ 84 Bruce Gordon Chinook (for sale)/ 85 Ron Cooper / 87 Centurion IM MV (for sale) / 03 Casati Dardo / 08 BF IRO / 09 Dogma FPX / 09 Giant TCX0 / 10 Vassago Fisticuff

Old 09-22-08, 07:55 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
super record crankset (ie- nuovo record crankarms with super record chainrings)

super record chainring

nuovo record chainring- outer

nuovo record chainring-inner

pics courtesy of velobase

ps- the front derailleur is also nuovo record- super record is identical but with black anodised arms-both models available in clamp style and braze-on versions

Last edited by caterham; 09-22-08 at 08:02 AM.
Old 09-22-08, 10:13 AM
OldSchool

Thanks for all the info. I definiely get the difference in the front derailleurs. I did notice the black being on the Super Record. But judging from the crank on this bike and your explanations, it appears that the large ring on this bike is Nuovo Record and the small ring is Super Record as it does not have the webbing. Is that the way you see it?
Old 09-22-08, 02:03 PM
FalconLvr

Bikes: 62 Falcon, 58 Raleigh Lenton Gran Prix, 74 Raleigh Pro, 75 Raleigh Int, 75 Raleigh Comp, 76 Colnago Super, 75 Crescent, 80 Peugeot PX10, plus others too numerous to mention!

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 68 Posts
Thats what it looks like, presuming the inner ring is actually campy, and not one of the many copies.
Old 09-22-08, 03:45 PM
OldSchool

Originally Posted by evwxxx
Thats what it looks like, presuming the inner ring is actually campy, and not one of the many copies.
The inside ring is definitely Campy. You can see the Campagnolo lettering from the non drive side in the second picture in the original post.

Last edited by cpsqlrwn; 09-22-08 at 08:14 PM.
Old 09-22-08, 05:58 PM
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by cpsqlrwn
The inside ring is definitely Campy. You can see the Campagnola lettering from the non drive side in the second picture in the original post.
Ahh, must be a made by the company that makes Rolax watches

Have you looked on the back of the crankarms to date it?
72 Frejus (for sale), Holdsworth Record (for sale), special CNC & Gitane Interclub / 74 Italvega NR (for sale) / c80 French / 82 Raleigh Intl MkII f&f (for sale)/ 83 Trek 620 (for sale)/ 84 Bruce Gordon Chinook (for sale)/ 85 Ron Cooper / 87 Centurion IM MV (for sale) / 03 Casati Dardo / 08 BF IRO / 09 Dogma FPX / 09 Giant TCX0 / 10 Vassago Fisticuff