Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Question about Turbo saddles

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-08, 02:05 AM
not actually Nickatina

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm on my 2nd Turbo and have seen many a Turbo on other bikes. One thing I've noticed is that the padding firmness has been a bit different on other Turbos I've seen vs. ones I've owned. That is to say, they usually have more give whereas mine have been very, very firm. Is this because different year Turbo's had different hardnesses, or is it more on account of them breaking in over time, like Brooks do?

I've been running a Turbomatic II for a year and it seems, atleast to me, that it's gotten softer since I first owned it. Can't say for sure though. I haven't ridden either of my Turbos for anywhere near that long to know though (the second one I actually just picked up the other day and have yet to mount it).
Old 09-21-08, 06:01 AM
Perineal Pressurized

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Turbos are basically leather, padding and a plastic shell. They aren't going to break in like a Brooks.
This is Africa, 1943. War spits out its violence overhead and the sandy graveyard swallows it up. Her name is King Nine, B-25, medium bomber, Twelfth Air Force. On a hot, still morning she took off from Tunisia to bomb the southern tip of Italy. An errant piece of flak tore a hole in a wing tank and, like a wounded bird, this is where she landed, not to return on this day, or any other day.
Old 09-21-08, 08:25 AM
Disraeli Gears

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 214 Posts
I have a Turbo from 1985, and another from 1986. There's definitely a difference between them in the amount of "give" of the padding. I rode the harder (1985) one for many years, commuting mainly, and while it feels great at the start of a ride, after about 15-20 miles it becomes painful. I've never ridden the softer one (white, may get use on an appropriate build in the pipeline). My main saddles now are a Brooks B17 and B5N.
Old 09-21-08, 09:10 AM
"Purgatory Central"

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I have a SI 'Turbomatic 3' from the early 90's that is relatively firm. The one I have has a gel insert and is richly stitched with the Selle Italia logo. Good looking saddle, but it was painful on 30 mile rides, so I replaced it with a Brooks 'pro' about four years ago. Other than the chrome rubbing off the plastic nose piece its still in good condition. I really liked that saddle. It was light, and really looked good on my main ride, and great for riding around town, but turned into an ass-hatchet over 20 miles.

Like others have said, its a leather covering over dense foam attached to a plastic base, so it's not going to 'break-in' like a Brooks.
Old 09-21-08, 11:46 AM
not actually Nickatina

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was just trying to figure out if the foam softened after say, 100-200 miles.... foams do change over time of course.

Thanks for the advice though. I'll give my new Turbo a try, and if it doesn't work out I'm sure I can find someone willing to trade their Rolls or Regal...
Old 09-21-08, 12:20 PM
Disraeli Gears

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by andre nickatina
I was just trying to figure out if the foam softened after say, 100-200 miles.... foams do change over time of course.
I am sure that's the case, but as I said above, I have two that are over 20 years old. Neither seems to have lost any elasticity (what you'd expect of foam breaking down), and the harder one that I have was always pretty much that way, and hasn't seemed to change during that 20 years. And it probably has several thousand miles on it.
Old 09-21-08, 12:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 23 Posts
My Turbo is hard as hell but somehow super comfy. Mine is super old and used (by the bike's previous owner). I've felt other ones that are less hard, but hardness doesn't always equal discomfort as long as the shape is right. I think that the key to comfort with the Turbo is that the seat is quite big so you can shift around a lot. I think that the Turbomatics are a little more padded but slightly smaller. I thought that the Turbo was the comfiest saddle I'd ever ridden (16 years of hard riding or so) until I got my Regal. Now I need one of those for every bike!
Old 09-21-08, 07:18 PM

Bikes: 85 Fuso, 86 Peloton, 84,88 Paramount

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just my opinions here - I think the earlier Turbos with the multicolor stripes on the side are a bit firmer than the later ones with the all white stripes. I also have Turbomatic with the yellow trim and is quite a bit plusher than the Turbo.