Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Aches and pains

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Aches and pains

Old 03-04-04, 10:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Aches and pains

I'm 41, in good shape, and this past weekend, I went out on the first century of the spring. Everything went pretty well - the weather was cooperative, the route worked out well, the pace was appropriate. The only problem was lower back pain. It started about halfway into the ride and got progressively worse, despite some seemingly well placed breaks and stretches; by the end it was pretty bad! I've changed seats and riding positions a few times, but still struggle with this. Am I doing something wrong (or not doing something right) or is this just a case of 'suffer and smile'? Any and all suggestions welcome.
Old 03-05-04, 12:02 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How many base miles do you have in for this year? I have done 2 centuries this year with only an additional 400 base miles. One thing I did was to put on a shorter stem for winter riding. Another thing I do is to stretch my back out while I'm at work. Winter centuries, or those done early in the season are not easy. By June/July I don't think twice about a century. Now it seems like work. I was sore for about a day after each one. Just general soreness, nothing specific. I rode slow and slower and very slow until the last 5 miles. Machka's February century under Winter Cycling could have been my February century.
Old 03-07-04, 10:21 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Has anyone out there experienced knee pain behind your knees on the lateral muscles? I only ride weekly with my husband on the tandem but I work out 2-3 times doing kick boxing and aerobics. The knee pain is more frequent since December. I wrap it during work outs but not on the bike. We talked to a salesman yesterday who is also a trainer. We were looking at knee braces and besides the exorbatant prices weren't sure which was best. After explaining my pain to this guy he told me I might be hyperextending my legs on the tandem. So today we lowered it slightly and I am feeling less pain. Definetely did not feel it on the bike till the last few miles which was a change