Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Fuji Touring ?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Fuji Touring ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-08, 01:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fuji Touring ?

What do you think of this bike?
Old 09-23-08, 01:10 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.fujibikes.com/Specialty/Touring/Touring.aspx
Old 09-23-08, 01:19 PM
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,202 Times in 2,358 Posts
It's a good solid touring bike but you could do better. The Surly LHT is a better touring bike for less and the Cannondale T2 is a better touring bike for slightly more. Although everyone and his brother here are LHT fanatics, I think the Cannondale touring bikes are slightly better than the LHT

In another post, someone said that the Fuji is $800 (about) at Performance. If you can get that price, it's worth looking at.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 09-23-08, 01:23 PM
crash survivor

Bikes: C-dale rush, Mountain cycle fury, Monocog 29er, Haro hard tail VX, Scattante R330

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am picking mine up Sat. performance has their 2008s on sale out the door for under $760. Based on looking at several sites I think it's more than worth it. but have only ridden one that is too big for me.
Old 09-23-08, 01:36 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Doug - I recommend that you enter "Fuji Touring" in the "Search this Forum" box, and look through the threads that have discussed this bike; there have been many. The members of this forum get cranky when they have to repeat their statements ad infinitum. In general, the Fuji Touring is seen as similar in quality to the Jamis Aurora, but is not as highly regarded among the members of this forum as the Novarra Randonee (REI's touring bike) or the Surly LHT (which has a cult following on this board).

FWIW, I have a 2008 Fuji Touring, and I am very happy with it so far, but I have not yet toured with it. The 2009 seems to be the same bike, except for the color, though I haven't compared the component lists to be sure. I recommend that you get a lower gear range than the stock gears in the Touring. I had them install a Shimano Deore 48/36/26 chainring; it's a big improvement on the 52/42/30 chainring that is listed.

You should find a reputable bicycle shop near you staffed with people that you are comfortable dealing with, then find out what brands they offer. If you are planning an around-the-world tour through the Sahara, the Himalayas, and the Amazon basin, then you will probably need a custom bicycle. But if you are planning to tour in North America, Europe, and other parts of the world where bicycle shops are abundant, then an affordable bike like the Touring should be just fine.
Old 09-23-08, 02:48 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4244 Post(s)
Liked 1,348 Times in 935 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Although everyone and his brother here are LHT fanatics, I think the Cannondale touring bikes are slightly better than the LHT
Why do you think the Cannondale is better?
Old 09-23-08, 03:21 PM
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,202 Times in 2,358 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
Why do you think the Cannondale is better?
Better component mix...for more money. Better warranty...lifetime vs 3 years. Less weight...3 to 4 lb difference (maybe more). Damn stiff for big guys with heavy loads but still rides very nice under load. And...it's not what everyone else is riding
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 09-23-08, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
And... it's not what everyone else is riding.
I couldn't agree more. I'm not a sheep, so I don't follow the herd.
Old 09-23-08, 10:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll back Stuart up that the cannondale is about as good as it gets, but thinking how much heavier a bike could be than my 30 lb jumbo T2000 (with racks and fenders) is a little scary.
Old 09-23-08, 11:45 PM
Slowpoach

Bikes: Cannondale T800, Northwood tandem, 1970s Gitane fixxed 45x16

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe do a search, or look at the sticky threads at the top of the forum, rather than posting "Surly LHT" and "Fuji Touring" etc. as new threads.

Although if you can get it for $760 you're unlikely to find a better deal on a new tourer.
Old 09-24-08, 10:23 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LHT isn't too expensive either...

You can buy the LHT for $890 shipped these days. They are changing the rear dropouts slightly. And getting rid of blue. Green continues, along with the new colour "Latte" or something like that. (Cream.) New bikes for X-mas.
Old 09-24-08, 10:37 AM

Bikes: TREK 1000c

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cave
Although if you can get it for $760 you're unlikely to find a better deal on a new tourer.
I ordered my Tourer this past Spring for that amount at an LBS. It took over a month to arrive. The LBS knocked off $100 due to the delay.

I was impressed at how stable it tracked down a big hill (compared to my old road bike).
Old 09-25-08, 10:48 AM

Bikes: Fuji Supreme

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride a 25 year old ancestor of the new Fuji Touring (1983-84 Series IV) and really like it. If I had not come across vintage Fuji for $100 on Craigslist I was saving my pennies for a new Fuji Touring. I think it is good value for the money and a solid performing bike. And like the C'dale it is not the most common bike around. Besides touring is more about where you ride than what you ride.