Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Route 50 through WV

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Route 50 through WV

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-08, 12:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Route 50 through WV

Well, I drove from where I'm living in Indiana (Bloomington) back to my parent's house here in the Frederick, MD area and I'm selling my car and biking home.

Looking at the map, I can't see many options other than Route 50 through WV. Not trying to ruin the adventure, but I was just wondering if anyone else has biked it before and if it's a good road. I know there's a rail trail that covers a good portion of it on the west side of the state. Any advice or experiences are appreciated.

Willy Chill
Old 09-25-08, 12:14 AM
Older than dirt

Bikes: Too darn many.. latest count is 11

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Can be ugly. Many parts of it have narrow to no shoulders with limited visibility and high speed coal and log trucks. I wouldn't ride it personally, but I do frequently see it done. I travel it often in a car. WV drivers can make NY/NJ ones seem like angels.

-R
Old 09-25-08, 12:59 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sorry, i just did a search and saw that this has been asked a couple times. lots of good info in those posts. the c&o route is looking good...
Old 09-25-08, 07:24 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't mean to sound like a broken record but, if you could make it to route 40 then you could cross ohio that way. Then once in Wheeling, WV Route 2 north to Weirton, then the panhandle trail to the montour trail to the Great Allegheny passage to the C&O. I pretty familiar with this area so let me know if you want to know more about this option.

thanks,

monkd
Old 09-26-08, 09:57 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Killer-V 900 (Mountain), Jamis Aurora (Touring)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would only consider doing Route 50 on a Sunday when there are few coal/log trucks. On any other day it's a death wish to try that road. I grew up in that area and coal truck drivers are a surly bunch.
Old 09-27-08, 05:36 PM
recumbent bike advocate

Bikes: Bacchetta Belladare, long wheelbase

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did route 50...on my BMW MC...

I rode Rt 50 on my old BMW Motorcycle...a number of years ago when I was living in Olney, MD and running to Michigan to see my folks. Left the house in a soft rain, and caught 50 and rode it all the way into Ohio. I remember the smell of burning brake pads from the coal trucks on the downhills into towns. I remember NO shoulders on the road, lots of gravel and FOG in the valleys. NOT the place for a bike, and that was about 20 years ago...

I guess I'd look for another route....

Tractor Tom in Okeechobee

Last edited by Tractortom; 09-27-08 at 07:54 PM.