Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Replacing rear derailleur question

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-08, 04:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi guys hopefully one of you can help me with this I'm sure its been answered before but I have searched and haven't come up with anything.

I aquired an road old bike with a five speed rear hub which I would like to replace with something slightly more uptodate. at the moment its 126mm between the dropouts which I am happy to cold set further apart to fit a more modern hub now the problem I'm having is that the frame has no gear hanger on the (horizontal) dropout and I wondered what my options were be it buy second hand, NOS, or even new if the option exists or something I haven't thought of. Even the technical term for this type of derailleur mounting would help me out in my search on tinternet or alternatively what components names and numbers to look for.

I've done most of the basic bike repairs on mountain bikes etc and I have built a bike up from a bare frame inclusing building the wheels so I'm not trying to do anything off the deepend I just don't want to start mucking about with a frame just to find I can't find components to make it worth while!

First person who says single speed gets a slap This one isn't for me its for a friend and the budget is not huge.

cheers in advance for all your suggestions

josh.
Old 09-25-08, 04:36 PM
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
You can run derailleurs which are called "claw" type. They look like this.

It's modern, widely available and cheap ~ $20. Works well.
Old 09-25-08, 04:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wow thanks for the fast reply I thought they must exist but I must have spent the last two days thinking up different phrases to type into to search.

cheers I'll have a route round see what I come up with!