Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Track cycling nutrition for sprinters

Old 09-26-08, 09:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Track cycling nutrition for sprinters

I'm just starting to get into track cycling and would love to try my hand at sprint events. I have read a lot of articles on training and weight training regimes, yet I cannot find anything about nutrition for track sprint events, would anyone be able to help me with this problem??? Any help is much appreciated.
Old 09-26-08, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
Caffeine and sugar. Lots of it. When your hands shake enough that you can barely hold on to the handlebar, that's about right. Observing my 7 year old, I'd say the best sprinter nutrition is "Juice. Juice. Do you have some juice? There's juice in the refrigerator. I want some." Wind him up and watch him go!

If you want to be a monster sprinter, first you've got to be a gym rat. Find out what the powerlifters are eating. Avoid stuff sold out of the back of cars. But first, you should find out if you have some innate talent for sprinting. 80% of success in bike racing is just showing up in the first place, trying the different events, and figuring out what you like. Do the thing first, worry (specific training, nutrition) about it later. You'll get more benefit from the trackie learning curve in your first season than you will from feeling like you've got to be in monster sprinter shape before you show up.
Old 10-10-08, 09:59 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All people, be it athletes, lazy couch potatos, ect should eat 60% complex carbs, 20% fat and 20% protein. Just adjust your caloric intake for your metabolism and youll be set.
Old 10-10-08, 02:31 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In other sports, I have had success centering higher ratios of carbohydrates around (before/after/during) activity when I need them, and then switching to a Protein biased diet with minimal starch intake when I am not doing strenuous activity.

You need to find ratios and cycling patterns that work for you, regardless of the sport.

Last edited by JaeOne3345; 10-10-08 at 02:34 PM.
Old 10-14-08, 06:54 PM
not actually Nickatina

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by clink83
All people, be it athletes, lazy couch potatos, ect should eat 60% complex carbs, 20% fat and 20% protein. Just adjust your caloric intake for your metabolism and youll be set.
This is a fallacy. Food is more than it's sum of macronutrients, and there is no static ratio per any given person, whether athletic or not.
Old 10-16-08, 05:14 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm gonna have to agree with Dre Dog above. 20% Protein for one is simply not enough for all people. Seems like something founded in old literature but if it works for you then so be it.
Old 10-28-08, 10:13 PM

Bikes: Surly Pacer, Hillbrick Pista, Avanti Sprint, Commencal Combi Deluxe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The best track sprinter I know seems to consume nothing but takeaway food and coca cola. He also claims to be allergic to vegetables!

(OTOH I'm the worst track sprinter I know, and I consume lots of vegetables and no soft drink. But I go up hills fast )
Old 09-06-09, 06:17 PM

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by melville
Caffeine and sugar. Lots of it. When your hands shake enough that you can barely hold on to the handlebar, that's about right. Observing my 7 year old, I'd say the best sprinter nutrition is "Juice. Juice. Do you have some juice? There's juice in the refrigerator. I want some." Wind him up and watch him go!

If you want to be a monster sprinter, first you've got to be a gym rat. Find out what the powerlifters are eating. Avoid stuff sold out of the back of cars. But
first, you should find out if you have some innate talent for sprinting. 80% of success in bike racing is just showing up in the first place, trying the different events, and figuring out what you like. Do the thing first, worry (specific training, nutrition) about it later. You'll get more benefit from the trackie learning curve in your first season than you will from feeling like you've got to be in monster sprinter shape before you show up.
Originally Posted by MGtrack
The best food for a sprinter comes through your car window. Or at least that's what I learned watching one guy who continually blew my doors off (I'm a health food nut/gym rat)

I thinks genetics is a factor too
Sprinting is definitely a genetic thing. It's virtually impossible to "train" oneself to become a vividly better sprinter. Yes, you can work on tactics and power and all that, but your base level of "sprintness" will determine how far you can go.

An ex-teammate of mine could out jump me no matter how much (or little) I trained. I could beat him after 40-50 meters, but the first 10, forget it. Another guy, a long time friendly rival, could out jump me easily at will. He could be heavy, light, fit, fat, he still had his jump.

Go to the track. If you get beat because you're fatigued after winning a few rounds. A good sign is if you end up seeded well because you did a fast time, but you were actually trying to back pedal for the last turn and ended up riding halfway up the banking when you lost control of your bike. I did that - it was the first hard effort on a fixed gear bike I made in forever and I literally thought I was going to end up off the track.

My first track ride/race since 1992 (it was about a year ago):
https://sprinterdellacasa.blogspot.co...me-racing.html

Also I recently finished a helmet cam clip and I forgot to post it here. Scratch race, B race. It's not fast, but I think everyone was saving themselves for omnium series events - pursuit, miss and out I think. I got 2nd to last in the pursuit.

Helmet cam at the track:
https://sprinterdellacasa.blogspot.co...e-june-17.html

cdr
Old 09-06-09, 07:29 PM
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 431 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
Sprinting is definitely a genetic thing. It's virtually impossible to "train" oneself to become a vividly better sprinter. Yes, you can work on tactics and power and all that, but your base level of "sprintness" will determine how far you can go.
Ain't that the truth! That video is really cool. It must be really hard to hold the bike down in the turn with so little banking. I had trouble at Colorado Springs, and it has a lot more banking. I have a really neat old trainer that has both inertial and wind resistance, and a freewheel to select the effort level. It's great to simulate jumps and standing starts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMGP0027.jpg (102.6 KB, 30 views)
Old 09-06-09, 08:03 PM
Old School Track Guy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very cool helmet cam video. That's a flat track. Reminds me of some I raced in the UK and some older tracks in France.
Old 09-07-09, 07:53 AM

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
I disagree. Sprinting is very trainable, in my experience. Lift weights. Do plyo. Practice sprinting from different speeds with different loads. You'll be surprised how much you can improve.
Old 09-07-09, 08:14 AM
Old School Track Guy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Baby Puke
I disagree. Sprinting is very trainable, in my experience. Lift weights. Do plyo. Practice sprinting from different speeds with different loads. You'll be surprised how much you can improve.
+1 genetics may determine your ultimate potential, but large improvements are certainly possible.
Old 09-07-09, 10:37 AM
Veteran Racer

Originally Posted by Baby Puke
Yes, I did all that. Also, a lot of intervals, starts, motor wind-outs etc. And yes I did improve, however, when it came down to it I still was not good enough to compete with the best national class sprinters. I just don't have the physiology and no amount of training is going to change that. Ironically, my best result at my national championships was in the points race, since I've always had good endurance and recovery, and absolute top end speed is not a factor. I've got the head for sprinting, but the body of an all-arounder.
Old 09-07-09, 12:33 PM
Old School Track Guy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In the end, we all have to work with the genetics we were born with. FWIW, at near 50 I can still sprint with many of the young boys, once or twice, maybe 3 times. Recovery is the issue. Can't do 4, 5 or 6 hard sprints in a night the way the youngin's can -- they wax my butt after the first few heats. Makes me look in awe even more than I used to at guys like Jack Disney.

Point's race -- haven't done one in years. Need to put more miles in my legs and fix this Texas Asthma first.

I may have to switch to "Masters" if I start racing again.
Old 09-12-09, 02:21 PM
not actually Nickatina

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I almost thought there was no banking until you mentioned the 14 degrees... being an Alpenrose native, a track that flat looks so foreign to me haha.
Old 09-12-09, 04:32 PM

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
Ain't that the truth! That video is really cool. It must be really hard to hold the bike down in the turn with so little banking. I had trouble at Colorado Springs, and it has a lot more banking. I have a really neat old trainer that has both inertial and wind resistance, and a freewheel to select the effort level. It's great to simulate jumps and standing starts.
I think that was called the "Road Machine"? I wanted one of those but could never afford it. I really like the non-slipping flywheel concept. Unlike a trainer it'll never slip.

Originally Posted by andre nickatina
I almost thought there was no banking until you mentioned the 14 degrees... being an Alpenrose native, a track that flat looks so foreign to me haha.
I watched that one clip of the "messenger" race at Alpenrose. Made me crack up. Also got me to wonder whether or not I'd want to try it.

Banking is shallow, I wish that there was an easy way to increase it. That'll be in the long range plans for the track I guess.

Re: training for sprinting

I agree that sprinting can be trained to a certain extent. However, if you can't put out, say, 1500 watts, it ain't gonna happen. Even a national level Cat 1 (podiumed at an Elite road nationals) told me he can only go 1200 watts or so. Now, he can hold 500 watts for way longer than I ever could, but in a jump, forget it, even he laughs at what happens.

With no particular training, I could go about as fast as anyone out there. I just couldn't go around the bends too easily. My first qualifying sprint was pretty good considering I spent the whole last turn trying not to go head over heels off the top of the banking (ultimately it was 0.2 seconds slower than the sprint in the clip). Someone commented to that effect ("You went pretty fast considering how far up the track you rode.")

Re: doing multiple efforts

I realized that I can't do 15 all out sprints like I could before. I have to work on sprinting as hard as I need to, not as hard as I want to.

All for next year. I have a long time to work on these things.

cdr
Old 09-12-09, 05:22 PM
Old School Track Guy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Carpediem -- IMHO, winter is the time you can make real gains on your sprint/jump ability. Squats, Rapid Squats (Just did 10 sets of these on a pneumatic leg press at the gym. Ouch!!! I am going to be really sore tomorrow.) Plyometrics. They're all important. I'd add roller riding and outdoor fixed gear riding. Both are really good for developing a smooth and full pedal stroke to put that new found power into.

Have a good one!
Old 09-12-09, 05:23 PM
Veteran Racer

I think that was called the "Road Machine"? I wanted one of those but could never afford it. I really like the non-slipping flywheel concept. Unlike a trainer it'll never slip.
More specifically, it was the Houdaille Road Machine. I think I bought it sometime around 1980. The manufacturer went belly up and no one else got patent rights to make it, so it died. I still think it's the best bicycle trainer ever made. The bicycle is an old Puch road bike with 120mm dropout spacing. Not shown in the picture is a 20" wall-mounted TV in front of it so I don't die of boredom. I also have a VCR to play old Worlds tapes for inspiration.
Old 09-13-09, 12:49 AM
not actually Nickatina

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I watched that one clip of the "messenger" race at Alpenrose. Made me crack up. Also got me to wonder whether or not I'd want to try it.
Can you link me to that?