Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Bianchi San Jose at the track?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-08, 09:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bianchi San Jose at the track?

I'm fairly new to track racing, and am looking into getting my own bike. My mechanic friend offered to sell me a 2008 Bianchi San Jose (49cm) for $500 tops. There's enough clearance for a 50-tooth chainring in the front (more than I'd ever need), and he's put on a flip-flop hub. However, I have never heard of anyone racing on a San Jose. I haven't ridden the Pista yet, but I've been racing with the rental Langsters at the track. If I'm looking for a bike primarily for velodrome use, should I consider the San Jose, or just buy the true track bike?
Old 09-27-08, 09:44 PM
Does Not Exist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd get a different bike purely for velodrome use. I'd buy the San Jose and take it off road.
Old 09-27-08, 10:16 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If you're mostly going to use it on a track, I'd go for a more track oriented bike. If you were looking for a street fixed gear for occasional track use, the San Jose would probably be ok, but if you expect to race it a lot you'll probably find yourself looking for a new bike relatively soon.

btw: which track?
Old 09-27-08, 10:19 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I go to Hellyer in San Jose
Old 09-28-08, 11:49 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Pretty much anything will be ok there, but I'd still go for a more track oriented bike if that's your primary type of riding on it.

You might be able to find a used one locally, too, but small track bikes tend to be a lot harder to find used than things in the 54-58 range.
Old 09-29-08, 09:34 AM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you can get a windsor for cheaper and it will be a better choice.
Old 10-13-08, 05:53 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2wheel princess
I'm fairly new to track racing, and am looking into getting my own bike. My mechanic friend offered to sell me a 2008 Bianchi San Jose (49cm) for $500 tops. There's enough clearance for a 50-tooth chainring in the front (more than I'd ever need), and he's put on a flip-flop hub. However, I have never heard of anyone racing on a San Jose. I haven't ridden the Pista yet, but I've been racing with the rental Langsters at the track. If I'm looking for a bike primarily for velodrome use, should I consider the San Jose, or just buy the true track bike?
I took my San Jose to the Trexlertown Velodrome today. It was my first time on the track ever so my experience may not have any relevance to you. I had a few minor pedal strikes that did not cause me to bail but did shake my confidence a bit.
Old 10-13-08, 07:42 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CVila
I took my San Jose to the Trexlertown Velodrome today. It was my first time on the track ever so my experience may not have any relevance to you. I had a few minor pedal strikes that did not cause me to bail but did shake my confidence a bit.
Thanks, that's good to know - pedals should not strike, and the Hellyer banking (25 degrees) is close to Trexlertown's (28), so I'll keep renting for now and keep my eyes out for a good deal on a track bike. I think my San Jose has been sold by now anyway...
Old 10-13-08, 08:23 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
keep an eye out- a friend of mine down here is looking for small track bikes and sees them on ebay and craigslist up in the bay area fairly often. Also, don't get hung up on the listed size-- check the geometry against something you know or go and try it on if it's even close. For example, my SO rides a 46 cm bianchi, but hte cockpit on the 52 cm Felt TK2 (the old one, but I think the new one is the same) works great for her with a short stem-- better than the a standard geometry steel 49.