Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Trek 1.2/1.5?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Trek 1.2/1.5?

Old 09-28-08, 09:18 PM
Ride that pony.

Bikes: Schwinn Skyliner

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trek 1.2/1.5?

I'm in the market of upgrading to my first road bike. I test rode a few Trek's, a couple Giants, and was more impressed with the Trek 1.2 (based on price - college grad, c'mon). I was wondering if anyone else had any opinions on it and could help me out with my purchasing decision.
Old 09-28-08, 09:26 PM
Senoir Membre

Bikes: Centurion Le Mans, Bianchi Sport, Trek 3500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
go used, if you know what you're looking for.
Old 09-28-08, 09:34 PM
Ride that pony.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I did try a Madone and that would be the best case, but I doubt anyone would want to part with one any time soon and for the price I want.
Old 09-28-08, 10:16 PM

Bikes: cannondale caad 8 custom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1,5 uses better aluminum in the frame in addition to better wheels and mostly tiagra instead of sora
Old 09-28-08, 10:33 PM
Just a girl on a bike...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Being a poor college student I dropped the highest amount I could afford to spend on a 1.2 WSD. I love it! Its a good bike and probably all you need unless you intend to start racing. I havn't had any problems with it and I really enjoy riding it so I would say if its in your budget and you feel comfortable on it then its a good option. That being said if you've got the money and you find the 1.5 comfortable then you might as well start higher.
Old 09-28-08, 11:47 PM
Obsessed

Bikes: 08 Giant OCR 1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wouldn't go brand new unless you are getting a free year of tune-ups, which is really nice. When you brand new, you are essentially getting ripped off, because you have to spend tons of money in order to get a bike with a decent set of components. Any way you go however, you will love your bike and I think thats what really matters.
Old 09-29-08, 12:09 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Unless you're 100% sure about sizing, i'd say to buy new from a reputable shop to ensure you're getting sized correctly. A bike that fits you properly will mean much more than the overall component mix.
Having said that, i'd perhaps consider avoiding the lower end Trek bikes, there really isn't anything all that special about them (conversely, they're not bad bikes either). They use a Chinese-built frame, and entry-level components, you may get better value from another brand, and I wouldn't expect much of a difference as far as the frame or components go. I would also suggest checking out entry level offerings from Giant, Specialized, Felt, and Cannondale (Cannondale's entry-level might be a bit pricier but their CAAD9 frame is top-notch, made in the USA, and only a few years ago was the frame used on their high-end bikes).

To summarize:
1. Buy based on fit
2. As long as the brand is reputable, don't worry as much about the brand. In the entry-level you'll mostly find Chinese or Taiwanese made frames (Taiwanese is usually better), and Sora/Tiagra components. If you can get a bike with Tiagra shifters, go for it, the Tiagra shifters are functionally similar to the rest of Shimano's lineup, while Sora has the shifter button in a different location.
3. Buy based on fit

Good luck on your search. There's nothing wrong with the Trek's, but i'd check out other brands as well to make sure you're getting the best-fitting bike.

Once you're comfortable on the bike, and think you want to upgrade, then consider selling off the current bike and buying something used. By then you should have a good idea of what type of geometry suits and what doesn't and can buy based on spec.
Old 09-29-08, 02:12 AM
Just a girl on a bike...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by intence
Unless you're 100% sure about sizing, i'd say to buy new from a reputable shop to ensure you're getting sized correctly. A bike that fits you properly will mean much more than the overall component mix.
Having said that, i'd perhaps consider avoiding the lower end Trek bikes, there really isn't anything all that special about them (conversely, they're not bad bikes either). They use a Chinese-built frame, and entry-level components, you may get better value from another brand, and I wouldn't expect much of a difference as far as the frame or components go. I would also suggest checking out entry level offerings from Giant, Specialized, Felt, and Cannondale (Cannondale's entry-level might be a bit pricier but their CAAD9 frame is top-notch, made in the USA, and only a few years ago was the frame used on their high-end bikes).

To summarize:
1. Buy based on fit
2. As long as the brand is reputable, don't worry as much about the brand. In the entry-level you'll mostly find Chinese or Taiwanese made frames (Taiwanese is usually better), and Sora/Tiagra components. If you can get a bike with Tiagra shifters, go for it, the Tiagra shifters are functionally similar to the rest of Shimano's lineup, while Sora has the shifter button in a different location.
3. Buy based on fit

Good luck on your search. There's nothing wrong with the Trek's, but i'd check out other brands as well to make sure you're getting the best-fitting bike.

Once you're comfortable on the bike, and think you want to upgrade, then consider selling off the current bike and buying something used. By then you should have a good idea of what type of geometry suits and what doesn't and can buy based on spec.
I couldn't agree more with what intence says about buying new! Yes, you're probably spending more money than you could if you went used but you're getting a good fit from a reputable shop which is worth its weight in gold. Also, you'll be beginning a relationship with your local bike shop and you will get at least one free tune up. You also have someone to go to when you have questions or when problems come up. Even though I had little money to spend I chose to buy new for these reason and I am happy with the way it turned out. I also agree that if you havn't already tested other bikes in your price range you really should. When I was getting mine I tried out a giant (OCR3, I think) and a Specialized dolche since the shops near me carried them/had them in my size. As it turns out the trek felt the best for me even though I could get the giant significantly cheaper. I have been very happy with the bike and had a lot of fun with it so far!
Old 09-29-08, 08:49 AM
Ride that pony.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The whole reason I'm buying new is because the dealer is that good. I have never been properly sized for a bike before, and two of their employees worked to find the EXACT bike, looked at my geometry and compared it to the right bike. They let me test ride it around the lot, put the bike on a trainer and let me get it to good speeds, and are able to give me free tune-ups for a year. Plus it's kinda nice to have something new once in a while. Am I still nuts?
Old 09-29-08, 09:36 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts
Sounds like you've made up your mind already. So I'm not sure why you're asking for opinions here.

If you do any comparison shopping at all, comparing specs and features, you'll see right away that Trek's are overpriced and underequipped. You can get a much better deal on practically any other brand of bike.