Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area
Reload this Page >

Does someome know how to modify a 92 Zipp road disc wheel for track?

Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-08, 03:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I got the original 2004 Zipp road track conversion kit, which is the earliest I could get a hold of, and thought I could modify it. However it was totally different. Would be nice to use the disc for both purposes
Anybody been there, any suggestions?
Thanks

Last edited by saturnhr; 09-30-08 at 06:03 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 09-29-08, 07:12 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Put a hamer thru it and buy a new one! Old discs are not fast.........
Old 09-30-08, 06:06 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The disc is 2002 - the kit was 2004

I am sorry, I got the years wrong above, the disc is 2002 the kit was for 2004, I think the comment about the hammer is inappropriate.
Thanks
Old 09-30-08, 08:42 AM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CafeRacer
Put a hamer thru it and buy a new one! Old discs are not fast.........
bull**** and old disk is much faster than spoked box section for many if not most races. What is wrong with them? Weight? Aerodynamics are usually more important. Stiffness? It may not feel as good but as long as you can still control the bike it's not really slowing you down much. Unless you're talking about ancient stuff from the 80s old disks are often better than no disk. This includes the old freewheel zipps and heds.
Old 09-30-08, 09:12 PM

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
Maybe you should just call or email Zipp directly? I don't have any personal experience, but I've heard they have really good customer support, even for old stuff.
Old 10-03-08, 08:25 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
If you were to just use it for track only, there are ways to modify the existing road axle and use bolt on skewers with chain tensioners as a back up - search for a post by ScottH on fixedgearfever.com

If you want to still use it for road, Zipp offer a service to upgrade the hub for US$350.

I have an even older Zipp disk I'm in the process of converting but has a snapped axle so have already been in touch with Zipp. They don't have the conversion axles for wheels pre 2004 and sending it back to the States will be too expensive for me. So I am organising a local engineer to machine a new axle.

I found a small picture of the earlier conversion axle searching the Zipp website via archive.org. If someone has a larger picture of the axle I'd appreciate seeing it to get a better idea of what needs to be made.