Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Noobie Here

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-08, 06:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Noobie Here

Hey all, I'm in the market for my first road bike, my roommate is really getting me into cycling. He's taught me a few things to look for when buying bikes, mostly that the decal across the frame isn't the most important thing, it's the components that goes into making the bike. I've seen a few people get yelled at and have had their post turned into a debating thread, but I'm going to bring it up, www.bikesdirect.com.

I want a bike that has AT LEAST Shimano Tiagra components, but would like some 105's or some Ultegras. I've looked on eBay and Craigslist, but I don't really trust buying a used bike. Like I said, I'm novice to this, previous to now, the most expensive bike I've owned was a Diamondback that I picked up at my LBS ($300).

This was the bike I was looking into, https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...corvus_al8.htm , the paint job is fugly and looks like a bowling ball that you would rent at your local lanes, but right now it seems like a good deal for the price I'm looking at (upto $800). I just want to get your guy's opinions and help. If you have some suggestions or other alternatives to look at please feel free to tell me. Other notes: I'm 6'1" and around 200lbs. Thanks in advanced

Edit: Yeah...this probably belongs in the Road Cycling section...sry about that.

Last edited by mwayne5; 09-29-08 at 06:18 PM.
Old 09-29-08, 07:20 PM
Dropped myself

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What is your roomie talking about! Good decals shave weight and make you more aero to boot! jk

In any case, some of problems I have with BD can be solved by having the knowledgeable roomie.

-When you get a bike from them, you have to assemble it yourself (not good for a cycling newbie).
-You have to make the determination on what size frame will fit you best (again, not so good).
-I see no way to specify your stem length/handlebar width ect., which you really can't figure out without giving a test ride (when I bought my most recent bike the LBS had to swap out both of these in order to get the fit right... if it arrives with a stem that doesn't work for you, you'll have to pay more to get a new one)
-You have to do all your own maintenance, whereas an LBS will usually give you a year of free tune-ups if you buy from them (again, if you are new to cycling, this is a challenge).
-And of course, the big problem, no test rides.

But if you have a roomie that is knowlegable he can help you out with everything but the test ride.
Old 09-29-08, 07:22 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I would get more specific information on the wheels. I cannot tell from the description which model they are. I am your exact size and not that strong a rider and I have had rims crack after a few thousand miles. I don't think you can substitute but you can budget for replacements or at realize they may not have a very long life.
Old 09-29-08, 07:49 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks guys. Here's where I luck out a bit more than others. My roommate and his dad both work at a bike shop up in Maryland and we're still living together next year, so I'm not to sure I'll need to worry about the maintenance from the LBS.
Old 09-29-08, 08:04 PM
Dropped myself

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mwayne5
Thanks guys. Here's where I luck out a bit more than others. My roommate and his dad both work at a bike shop up in Maryland and we're still living together next year, so I'm not to sure I'll need to worry about the maintenance from the LBS.
Hey, if that's the case, I'd try to get the roomie to hook you up with a good deal from the shop. Sale on a 2008 model or something. Haha. If you've got a friend that can do the wrenching for you and teach you the ins and outs, what do you need our advice for? He should be able to give you all the advice you need
Old 09-29-08, 08:14 PM

Bikes: All City Nature Boy, All City Macho Man

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like the corvus and it looks like a deal. Consider the steel model for a few bucks less. Then again, I like steel.
Old 09-29-08, 08:18 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lizzylou
Hey, if that's the case, I'd try to get the roomie to hook you up with a good deal from the shop. Sale on a 2008 model or something. Haha. If you've got a friend that can do the wrenching for you and teach you the ins and outs, what do you need our advice for? He should be able to give you all the advice you need
but why limit your learning to one person?
Old 09-29-08, 08:20 PM
Dropped myself

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
but why limit your learning to one person?
very good point

and my ridiculous answer... "Because one person will agree with himself, on BF nobody agrees with anybody else."
Old 09-29-08, 09:16 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
lol...I just asked him about hooking me up and he told me to wait til spring rolls around then he'll be able to get me a good deal. No hurry, plus, by then I should have more saved up which means better everything.
Old 09-30-08, 05:53 AM

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
I'd check out the LBS before ordering anything online. No reason not to window shop a bit and you might come across a good deal in the process.
Old 09-30-08, 09:42 AM

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
You can also consider getting a good deal from that Maryland bike shope where they work, new or used. As far as components, there's a thing called "mediocrity" when retailers put on nice components on a not so good bike frame just to make it sell. This appeals to buyers who think that components make the bike.