Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How about the LandRider bicycle?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-08, 09:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just notice on the Documentary channel they are promoting The LandRider bike that shifts automatically. Don't know if that will go over very well. I realize there were some post back in 2003 about the LandRider but I was wondering if there were any improvements since then.

Last edited by screwdriver; 10-04-08 at 09:14 AM.
Old 10-04-08, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
What's so tough about learning how & when to shift? With modern shifter mechanisms, your hand doesn't have to leave the bar. I don't see any plus side. bk
Old 10-04-08, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The original "automatic" bike they were marketing a few years ago was a POS...Heavy, cheap junk with a "centrifugal" shifting system that worked with sliding weights on the spokes.

I understand that Shimano has a new computerized system that's much better; I haven't examined one yet.

I wouldn't be surprised if it sold; I'm constantly amazed at how many people buy multi-speed bikes and have not the slightest clue as to how to use them.
I constantly see students with 24-speed mountain bikes either just stand on the pedals (as they would with their 20" kids bikes) to get up hills, or even get off and walk.
I asked one girl why she didn't just shift down, and she said.."it doesn't work any more..."

I recently showed a nice little MTB to one of my fellow officers; his wife wanted one. She complained that she didn't like "all those gears"......
Old 10-04-08, 03:04 PM

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bkaapcke
What's so tough about learning how & when to shift? With modern shifter mechanisms, your hand doesn't have to leave the bar. I don't see any plus side. bk
Many non-bicycle people are not fond of the complexities of external-gear hubs--in particular, the requirement to be moving in order to shift. Stopping in too high a gear to comfortably start up again is a very common problem.

That noted--an [I]internal[/I-gear hub would be a much more attractive choice, if you could only get them on one. As it stands, most tend to balk at the higher price from the outset, and never understand the convenience it provides.
~
Old 10-04-08, 05:01 PM
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikewer
The original "automatic" bike they were marketing a few years ago was a POS...Heavy, cheap junk with a "centrifugal" shifting system that worked with sliding weights on the spokes.

I understand that Shimano has a new computerized system that's much better; I haven't examined one yet.

I wouldn't be surprised if it sold; I'm constantly amazed at how many people buy multi-speed bikes and have not the slightest clue as to how to use them.
I constantly see students with 24-speed mountain bikes either just stand on the pedals (as they would with their 20" kids bikes) to get up hills, or even get off and walk.
I asked one girl why she didn't just shift down, and she said.."it doesn't work any more..."

I recently showed a nice little MTB to one of my fellow officers; his wife wanted one. She complained that she didn't like "all those gears"......
Get her a nice old 3 speed IGH and I bet she will ride the wheels off of it. My wife has a very nice 2000 GT Slipstream with 27 speeds...the bike she rides the most? Her 1971 Raleigh Colt 3 speed with a coaster brake....go figure.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 10-04-08, 09:58 PM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
My previous comment notwithstanding, I do wish I could get my wife to shift more and speed it up in general. bk
Old 10-05-08, 03:19 PM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikewer

The LandRider is an improvement, in much the same way that a Pinto would have been a step-up from a Yugo. It functions marginally better, but still sucks. And is prone to bursting violently into flames when struck from behind.
Old 10-05-08, 03:28 PM
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
This topic has come up several times. As best I can tell, the bike is a solution without a problem- from my viewpoint at least. The problem with multiple gears on a bike is that they sell them on cheap bikes, and they don't work well. So I can see why people would be leary of them. And I remember last time the topic came up, someone pointed out that his wife had gotten started riding on one of these when she wouldn't have started otherwise, so they're good for some people.

I was riding my front loader tricycle around White Rock Lake this afternoon, and I usually average about 8 mph with it, maybe 10 if I don't make any stops. And I did pass this one lady and man. They were going uphill, into the wind, the lady needed to downshift, and wasn't. I debated whether to holler "Downshift and spin, lady!" but was afraid it wouldn't be appreciated as the sage advice it actually was. Anyway, there's an application where the Landrider might have been fine. But let that lady figure out what shifters are for and she won't need one.