Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

mezzo upgrades

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

mezzo upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-08, 12:58 PM

Bikes: 2X dualdrive Mezzo folder,plus others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
mezzo upgrades

I am looking to start a Mezzo/Ori thread for owners or potentional owner. Any pro and cons that other Mezzo owners have experienced. Any Mezzo/ori owners got any proven value for money upgrades to reduce weight or improve the bike.

Some problems;

under grearing of the standard bike.
Ocassional non self locking of the back clip, cured by greasing it.
Ocassional catching of the chain guider on the chain guard.
I have had some difficulties with the folding towards an aftermarket sram dualdrive wheel click box.
Rear brake not very powerfull.

some advantagers
Rides well,
easy maintaince,
most upgrade parts tends to fit
Two frame mounting for the locating of the rear folding clip. Thus facilitating either a standard or internal rear hub.

How many have upgraded to rear crespro hub to address undergearing?
Bars are too high ?
Trick bits that fit well ?
want to add a photo ?

Last edited by bhkyte; 03-11-09 at 09:14 AM.
Old 12-08-08, 06:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mezzo upgrades

Okay Bruce

Here is a link to my web album for my grey Mezzo I4:

link

I haven't done anything to it as yet but would welcome suggestions which don't require advanced technical skills.

John
Old 01-19-09, 03:34 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The standard bike is very good. The only issue is the under gearing 54 /11. The bike will accept up to a 56t front cog.

If you want to go further I would upgrade to either an internal hub with a higher ratio or go for the dual drive. The 3x7 is easier cheaper and the internal compatable with other sti changers. where as the 3X9 needs a dedicated shifter.
I have now swopped mine over and the 3x9 is now on a more standard mezzo with standar bars on and big apple tyres. This bike is gold, an serves as my "off road mezzo" and is better for folding for shops and compactness of fold over my fast road version.
The dual drive lickage can be done with a standard SA chain rather than the click box and a long cable is needed.Else the cable is pulled towords the midline of the bike when folding and prevents the seat post from sliding down, preventing the folding of the bike.Also I have removed frame clip has been dispensed on the road Mezzo as the stiff folding of the stem keeps the wheel put. One less unfolding stage. However it can be moved to the other frame mount location

Another good addition is the cateye cube rear light(£30) which fits on the rack easily and does not foul the floor on folding. It is recommended my Mezzo, i would imaging it would work well on a brompton.I like the fact that it can be solidly mounted and left on the bike when locked up.

Old 01-19-09, 06:47 PM
Decrepit Member

Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22, several Paramounts

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 57 Posts
Just a thought... you might have better luck with responses by starting a thread on this subject in the Folding Bikes forum.

my bikes

Science doesn't care what you believe.
Old 08-25-10, 12:50 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
A few recent questions from my mail box. Hope you don not mind?

Q/before the front wheel quick release mod was introduced (2008?). How important is this in terms of folding speed and/or safety in your opinion?

A/Its fine, the older version has the advantage of it makes a click if you forget to lock it!

Simple upgrade.
Skate wheels with the axle on the outside of the rack for easier rolling.

Suggested upgrades.

1/Use long ,(tandem to be sure), Teflon inner cables with a squirt of 3in 1 oil. Tilt the bike to get the oil to flow along all the cables. Clarke tandem are fine I find. Approximately 160cm.

2/Green/wet "Swiss stop" brake pads for a road bike work better than koolstops pads on the rear. The adjustable toe in of the swiss allows a closer clearance with out binding. Kool stops work well on the front.

3/ Clear rollerblade wheels with red cores disperse a rear LED light really well. Thus improving side visibility and safety in the dark!

4/Mezzo stems don't flex much. However if you tighten up the fold pivot it reduces the bar/stem play a little. If you over tighten this though the stem doesn't fold. Generally Creaks can be adjusted out I have always found. ie the rear hinge adjusts, the folding stem mentioned. Make sure you tighten the rear rack bolts occasionally, as this is often the source for creaks. Another source is the seatpost clamp. The newer version closes better for £12 and may get rid of a pre-existing creak as it has a higher collar.

5/ Kojacks tyres are recommended for a road bike.

6/ The later front wheel QR is an improvement. Not sure about safety, but it is sturdier and easier to set up. £100 to retro fit, I sold my old slightly damaged one for £20 on eBay. The older set up tends to make a clicking noise if you ride it after forgetting to lock it which is handy. The real advantage about the new version is if you foolishly (like me) ,forget to close it, it does not get damaged easily, unlike the old version.

7/ bigger chain ring and crank plus bottom bracket is around £58 compete for the D10. Or find a 56t and use a Birdie chainring guard for around £25 or less. Personally I would go for a internal hub gear wheel build up if you want an easy life, or the 3X9/7 if you feel confident about your upgrading skills.

8 Crank, if you change to a carbon hollow tech get the right width bottom bracket or spacer else it will catch the chain guide.

9/ Seat post, no other options. Unless you go custom.

10/ rims, don't know.

11/ Bars, anything that does not interfere with the fold. I use home made,(botched), bullbars. If you want more forward reach options you may have to look at adding a QR stem bolt. I took 2" off my black bike stem to get a lower profile. See little pixels thread on modifying a Aber hallo extension stem.

12/ Internal hub gears are very long lasting and reliable. Many have been working for decades. I know of few if any riders riding a 10 year old cassette cluster. They make alot of sense on a folder, also they gear up folders better than draillers can.

13/ cateye cube light, see Mezzo web site, works well.

14/ Mezzos losing their chains - design fault? Get a Mezzo chain retainer. Its a little plastic clip on the downtube that helps the chain stay on.

Diffculties in ordering parts from web site?
order from a mezzo (ATB) dealer. Anyone who sells marlin MB should be able to order Mezzo parts which in my experience arrive quickly.

Suspension options.
I run two bikes one with marathons the other with kojacks. Ones a road bike the other an all-rounder. I also run an extra seat post with a sprung saddle on for light off road. It may be possible to fit an adapted suspension seat post. A pantour hub is possible also (pricey).I would like the later as further possible upgrade for the front. A modified front suspension stem is another possibility. Tyre and tyre pressure is another parameter.

However a stiff mezzo set up like my black bike really moves. Compare it to a very fast hybrib or budget racing bike. I like it that way!

Thoughts about how easy it would be to design an adaptor into the current rear locking mechanism using polyurethane/rubber a la Moulton/Brompton to give it some rear suspension. I have not idea how to do this suggestion.
Old 01-04-13, 02:50 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
9 seatpost optins, extended seatpost from KOGA working in my mezzo well !!
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281037475588?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
I can also substitue a 25.4 suspending seatpost, good find !!
Old 01-05-13, 03:40 AM
cpg

Bikes: Mezzo I4, Trek 1200, Rudge (Montague) BiFrame, Bickerton

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bhkyte
9 seatpost optins, extended seatpost from KOGA working in my mezzo well !!
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281037475588?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
I can also substitue a 25.4 suspending seatpost, good find !!
That is good price. We need photos. Does it limit how low the seat will go when folded? Do you miss the seat post height markers of the original? Have you got a suspended seat post yet?
Old 02-08-13, 08:00 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
ok pictures then . Yes it is a tad higher when folded around 4 to 5 inches, around 1.5 to 2 inches higher than a brommie with extended seatpost.
Like the feel of it so far.
Slight problem is that the diameter is not quite right and the seatpost clamp needs a couple of extra turns between switching from mezzo seatpost. It does hold well after that. I dont need to extend the seat post with this set up I just set it to minimum insertion mark and there is 6 inches left in the frame.
Hope this extra pressure does not cause the excellent but fragile Mezzo seat clamp to crack.
Might drill a hole in the seatpost to stop it cracking beyond a certain point.
You might just be able to see a hairline crack where I might drill the hole.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCF2442.JPG (88.4 KB, 56 views)
DSCF2443.JPG (95.1 KB, 50 views)
DSCF2444.JPG (93.2 KB, 50 views)
DSCF2445.JPG (67.6 KB, 51 views)
DSCF2447.JPG (65.8 KB, 49 views)

Last edited by bhkyte; 02-08-13 at 08:08 AM.
Old 02-15-13, 07:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, My name is Sean and I am so excited about my new bike, Mezzo i4. I have been into folding bike since I sold my fixed gear last year. With a lot of studies and research, I found that Mezzo is a great bike with an awesome design. It seems like they are not doing that well and fading away. The design might be too futuristic and the price is at the same level as Brompton but I love it. I saw you have a thread about Mezzo Upgrade and I'm so intriguing in it. I hope you don't mind if I ask you a lot of questions about how to. Let me set it straight with you, I don't know how to fix a bike at all and I think this is a good time for me to learn about my bike and know how to fix it too. Thank you very much and please feel free to tell me whatever you think would be the best for me to upgrade my Bike.

Thank you

Sean K.
Old 02-18-13, 03:00 AM
cpg

Bikes: Mezzo I4, Trek 1200, Rudge (Montague) BiFrame, Bickerton

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi Sean. Take a look at this thread:
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...-bike-upgrades
Old 02-19-13, 10:30 PM