Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Birdy thread

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Birdy thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-14, 01:30 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
perhaps...
Housing stop up front , a grooved roller on the back (inside or out) and another roller cable guide ( a S-A part) at the flare nut.

Bromton's 3 speed's shift cables come down from above .. from a roller redirecting the cable 90 some-odd degrees. ..

Last edited by fietsbob; 05-17-14 at 01:37 PM.
Old 05-23-14, 05:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i want to change my handlebar to this one but i am not sure what it is called. (photo borrowed from internet)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC_4736.jpg (71.0 KB, 327 views)
Old 05-25-14, 07:41 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by marxmini
i want to change my handlebar to this one but i am not sure what it is called. (photo borrowed from internet)
Its called Bhrama handle bars. I see them sold in eBay and sometimes in Craigslist.

It might affect for fold dimensions of your Birdy, though.
Old 05-26-14, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
kojak tires. remove fenders (if you have them). later on you may want to upgrade the gear train, brakes, suspension.
can i just replace the tires with kojak? or i have to get a wheelset. The stock wheel is the Alex DA16. Marathon Racers are 40-355. Will the Kojak 32-355 fit?
Old 05-26-14, 04:35 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DVC45
Its called Bhrama handle bars. I see them sold in eBay and sometimes in Craigslist.

It might affect for fold dimensions of your Birdy, though.
/

got it. thank you very much.
Old 05-26-14, 04:37 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by simisimi
can i just replace the tires with kojak? or i have to get a wheelset. The stock wheel is the Alex DA16. Marathon Racers are 40-355. Will the Kojak 32-355 fit?
straight replacement with kojaks or marathon racers should be all right. no need to change wheelset. i have a 32-355 kojak installed on my alex rims da16.
Old 06-02-14, 04:30 AM

Bikes: Spec AWOL comp 2014, Birdy Anthracite, A focus egravel bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think kojaks are phenomenal.
Old 06-09-14, 02:11 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone tried IRC tyres?
Old 06-11-14, 07:36 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by simisimi
Anyone tried IRC tyres?
i checked their website. they don't have a size 32-355 tire for birdy.
Old 06-16-14, 12:05 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone knows the dimension required for the seat clamp and stem clamp?
Old 06-16-14, 12:53 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm looking at Hope components (headset, seat clamp and pedals) from CRC due to their colors. Not sure if they fits the birdy though
Old 06-17-14, 01:12 PM

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
DualDrive conversion update:

Alright, I ended up with a "floating" stop at the top of the chainstay/swingarm, and drilled a hole in the bottom where the cable comes through to the hub quick disconnect. Very much like an original spec Birdy with DD, except a lot more ghetto. It occurs that maybe I should just have inquired to R&M/Pacific about a DD specific replacement swingarm. Works a charm, though. Pix to come.

This was the third attempt. Second was removing one of the bolt/nuts that hold the polymer pad to the crossover piece on the chainstays, and substituting a 5mm cable adjuster. Two-fer -- with a nut on the back, it acted as a cable stop and held the pad in place. Immediate issue was cable rubbing the chain in some gears where they crossed, especially in top gear of the hub where currently I have a bit of slack. Solution was to zip tie a short length of cable housing to the swingarm and run the cable through that as a guide to keep it off the chain. Moment of truth: fold the rear under, SUCCESS!!! Wait... lesson learned, do the complete fold. DRAT!!! Seatpost catches on some part of this setup, will not insert all the way to hold the swingarm in place. Dang.

Which led to a third try that worked. I continue to be amazed at the tight tolerances and engineering which went into the Birdy design.
Old 06-18-14, 09:52 AM

Bikes: 2X dualdrive Mezzo folder,plus others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Had a simular issue with my dual drive conversion on my mezzo. I used plastic ties to hold the cables away from the seatpost area. See the mezzo dualdrive conversion thread started by bostonblackie if this is relevant. I may dd a birdie, cheaper used than ihg. But ihg cleaner and have some drailer issues with big apple tyres and the chain catcher.
Old 06-18-14, 12:00 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
These r two videos I made on folding my Birdy, hoped u will like it.

Folding and Unfolding Birdy Like a Pro! - YouTube

Folding Birdy (w rear tensioner) like a Pro II. - YouTube
Old 06-19-14, 01:15 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Razorshell
what tensioner are you using in the second video. i noticed that it keeps the chain taut when folding unlike the stock tensioner in the first video.
Old 06-20-14, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by mconlonx
DualDrive conversion update:

Alright, I ended up with a "floating" stop at the top of the chainstay/swingarm, and drilled a hole in the bottom where the cable comes through to the hub quick disconnect. Very much like an original spec Birdy with DD, except a lot more ghetto. It occurs that maybe I should just have inquired to R&M/Pacific about a DD specific replacement swingarm. Works a charm, though. Pix to come.

This was the third attempt. Second was removing one of the bolt/nuts that hold the polymer pad to the crossover piece on the chainstays, and substituting a 5mm cable adjuster. Two-fer -- with a nut on the back, it acted as a cable stop and held the pad in place. Immediate issue was cable rubbing the chain in some gears where they crossed, especially in top gear of the hub where currently I have a bit of slack. Solution was to zip tie a short length of cable housing to the swingarm and run the cable through that as a guide to keep it off the chain. Moment of truth: fold the rear under, SUCCESS!!! Wait... lesson learned, do the complete fold. DRAT!!! Seatpost catches on some part of this setup, will not insert all the way to hold the swingarm in place. Dang.

Which led to a third try that worked. I continue to be amazed at the tight tolerances and engineering which went into the Birdy design.
Pix:

So the stop at the top is some bike part maybe someone can ID, which I found in one of our smallparts bins at the shop. Round with a flat on one edge; on the back it's square and sits nicely within the tubing; 5mm threaded hole. Random 5mm cable adjuster, and you don't see it here, but a locking nut on the back. I won't be using this as an adjustable stop. It's held by tension, nothing holding it onto the bike, but even with the cable at full slack in top gear, it stays put well enough. I can slide it up and down within the slot, doesn't seem to have any effect on shifting.

Simple drilled hole where the cable comes out. I bought the bike used, no warranty to void. If it ever starts cracking due to me drilling holes in it, my bad, and I'll beg R&M/Pacific to allow me to pay for a new swingarm.

Works great, no shifting issues, full foldability. Third time's a charm!

So yeah, now I got a 3x7 Birdy with which to tackle my commute. There are a few hills where this will be useful. Not that I couldn't have suffered them with the stock 1x7 gearing, but I like the enhanced gear range. The cass which came with the wheel was a rather narrow range; I swapped out the stock cass during replacement.
Old 06-20-14, 12:09 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
what tensioner are you using in the second video. i noticed that it keeps the chain taut when folding unlike the stock tensioner in the first video.
The tensioner is made by a Taiwan company called Ridea. You will need to manually hook it before folding.
Old 06-21-14, 02:24 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The tensioner is made by a Taiwan company called Ridea. You will need to manually hook it before folding.
thanks for the information. i currently have the pacific cycles tensioner that is attached to the BB shell. it is effective but it does not keep the chain as taut as your ridea tensioner. may i please know where to get it and how much. thank you.
Old 06-21-14, 04:51 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Tempting be to get my silver birdie built up with a spare 3 x 7 hub I have. I have a tiny cassette on my 3x9 mezzo but it is fine. Need a tad more spread with a 7 cassette. The rim does look a bit worn.....

Too busy enjoying the fab weather to spend time in garage. Winter project.
Old 06-22-14, 08:43 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks for the information. i currently have the pacific cycles tensioner that is attached to the BB shell. it is effective but it does not keep the chain as taut as your ridea tensioner. may i please know where to get it and how much. thank you.
I was lucky as the boss of our LBS gave me as a gift when I bought the bike. I'm from Singapore. U should be able to get it from your local ridea distributor.
Old 06-23-14, 04:33 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was lucky as the boss of our LBS gave me as a gift when I bought the bike. I'm from Singapore. U should be able to get it from your local ridea distributor.
i will visit e-walker in singapore next time i am over to get that ridea tensioner. thank you again.
Old 07-18-14, 09:47 AM

Feeling flush, so I ordered up some Schwalbe Marathon Racers. And tubes. Direct from Schwalbe.

Again, not so hot on the odd 18" wheel size. QBP offers zero tires in that size.
Old 07-19-14, 02:52 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hiya

Great forum hope someone can give me some advice on a few matters.

I am new to the folding bike scene and was contemplating getting a Brompton but when I discovered the Birdy and its kool design I knew this is the bike for me.

Questions
How hard is it to service a Birdy City Perimum?, here in the UK not many shops sell Birdy's and the shop that agreed to order one in for me is very very far away, so getting the bike back to then for its routine service would be a real pain in the a#$.

Could a local bike shop do it?.

Has anyone on the forum had any experience with a Birdy City premium? Any feed back on how it rides and the 8 gears setup would be appreciated.
Old 07-20-14, 03:47 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Lbs should be able to service a birdie fine.
Only issue is the suspension joints which only need attention afaik if they wear out. And should be simple anyway?
Any advise on changing rear as my silver birdie has play in rear suspension?
Old 07-20-14, 11:04 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks bhkyte

Hope it is the case that any bike shop can service the birdy.

Any suggestions on what type of after market upgrades I show go for?
Also places to get them here or over seas.
I have seen a few pictures showing colour+ parts but cannkt find an overseas dealer anywhere on Google.

I am going to order the bike tomorrow, it was out of the 2014 Touring or City premium, chose the City due to low maintenance gear system.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.