Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cold weather apparel...test #1...

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-08, 07:09 AM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well...if you've read my other thread, you know that I know nothing about how to dress for cold weather cycling. So...before I drop a fortune on gear, I decided to find out my cold weather tolerance.

I just got in from a 30 minute cold weather test ride. It was sunny to cloudy and between 29-33 degrees. I was wearing my summer short sleeve Giordana Forma jersey...my summer Giordana Forma cycling shorts...summer socks...my Sidi Genius 6.6...my Giro Pneumo helmet...my glasses. This is what I wear when I go ride in the dead heat of summer. The only difference...I added a fleece jacket.

My legs and torso actually felt 100% fine. Didnt' really feel that cold. My toes are a tiny bit chilly...my ears are chilly...my nose is chilly. My face in general is fine...my head seems fine. My um...private bits are a bit chill.

But my hands? HOLY POOP!!!!!!!!!! My freaking hands are FROZEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So now I now that gloves are a MUST! I might want a balaclava (sp?). I might want a shoe cover thingy. Other than that...I think I'm good to go!!!!

Last edited by celerystalksme; 10-05-08 at 07:19 AM.
Old 10-05-08, 08:06 AM
Spelling Snob

Bikes: Panasonic DX4000, Bianchi Pista

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Ive found a balaclava to be very handy. It does get cold in North TX. Ill wear it if the temp is
under 50, and have ridden down to 30.

The first rule of flats is You don't talk about flats!
Old 10-05-08, 08:15 AM
cyclepath

Bikes: 2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Keep the extremities warm and ride hard enough and you can ride in any temp.
Old 10-05-08, 11:45 AM
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Did you wear tights or leg warmers? If not, you might want to add those in those sorts of temperatures for two reasons:

1) They protect your knees.

2) They help to keep your feet warm.
Old 10-05-08, 12:47 PM
Got Hills, I do!

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 9.9 - Trek Supercaliber 9.9.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Did you wear tights or leg warmers? If not, you might want to add those in those sorts of temperatures for two reasons:

1) They protect your knees.
2) They help to keep your feet warm.

+1000

I don't mind the cold and ride without adding much extra for the winter months but you do need to cover your knees. I cover them anytime the temps drop below 60, even though I don't need the extra warmth. The Cartilage, Tendons and Ligaments need to be kept warm or they can cause problems.
Old 10-06-08, 07:26 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I feel like I can wear shorts when it's down to 52-53-ish with no wind. 55 and wind is fairly bearable -- shorts are fine too, but 50 and wind and I have to switch to running pants (I don't like tights). Running pants that are slim work great for me. Hands are the first thing that gets cold for me, then ears, then toes -- in that order. Usually the hand problem becomes evident with regular bike gloves and below 52-53-ish -- at this time I switch to thin, full-finger gloves.
Old 10-25-08, 09:40 PM

Bikes: 96 gary fisher 'utopia' : 99 Softride 'Norwester'(for sale), 1972 Raleigh Twenty. Surly 1x1 converted to 1x8, 96 Turner Burner

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I wear cotton jersey gloves down to about 35f, below that I wear Mittens. Campmor has some for about $17. Look at the Wickers Balaclava at Sierra Trading Post for $7. Thin and warm. I'll sometimes wear a Headband to cover the ears in real cold stuff. I wear SportHill clothing for anything below 45f. No need for layering with that. It's expensive, but if you google search it you'll save $$. I got their Infuzion II pants for $44 at Amazon. They retail for $85. The stuff I got last year I saved over 50% on it.
Old 10-25-08, 10:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by celerystalksme
Well...if you've read my other thread, you know that I know nothing about how to dress for cold weather cycling. So...before I drop a fortune on gear, I decided to find out my cold weather tolerance.

I just got in from a 30 minute cold weather test ride. It was sunny to cloudy and between 29-33 degrees. I was wearing my summer short sleeve Giordana Forma jersey...my summer Giordana Forma cycling shorts...summer socks...my Sidi Genius 6.6...my Giro Pneumo helmet...my glasses. This is what I wear when I go ride in the dead heat of summer. The only difference...I added a fleece jacket.

My legs and torso actually felt 100% fine. Didnt' really feel that cold. My toes are a tiny bit chilly...my ears are chilly...my nose is chilly. My face in general is fine...my head seems fine. My um...private bits are a bit chill.

But my hands? HOLY POOP!!!!!!!!!! My freaking hands are FROZEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So now I now that gloves are a MUST! I might want a balaclava (sp?). I might want a shoe cover thingy. Other than that...I think I'm good to go!!!!
Celery,

You seem to have pretty good resistance to the cold but don't let this first test fool you. First, it's early in the season and though the air may be cold the ground isn't frozen yet. That makes a big difference. Second, the difference between a 30 minute and a 60 minute ride can be the difference between just being a little cold and having hypothermia.

As was suggested above. I would suggest some middle weight tights over your bike shorts at these temperatures. As has been stated they will keep your feet warmer. And it is not wise to have your knees cold when exercising. They will also keep your jewels warmer. Nuff, said.