Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Non-racing training

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Non-racing training

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-08, 06:59 AM
But I don't like SPAM...

Bikes: 1994 Univega Alpina 5.2 MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Non-racing training

I'm just getting started with this. i've got a couple of really good books, Cycling Fitness and Base Building for cycling, both are very well written and easy to understand. My question is, I am not interested in racing or any type of competition, I'm interested in century's, touring and multi day events like Bike Across Kansas. Now I know that some work in Lactate Thresholds and Strength and Speed and TT and Hills are needed for a well rounded level of fitness, but should I spend as much time and effort on them as the books suggest?

Here's what I'm thinking, they state that the first level should be aerobic (endurance) for about 8-12 weeks, remember this is a beginner, followed by strength then lactate threshold. I'm thinking on working the endurance for the 12 weeks and then start mixing in a couple days of strength every week for a month then mixing in some lactate workouts.

What I'm trying to say is, yes that part of the training is needed, just not so much when considering the goals I have. Am I just suffering from a major brain fart or is this heading in the right direction?

Thanks

Old 10-07-08, 10:50 AM
sidelined

Bikes: 2005 Scattante R660, Kona Race Light SS conversion, 2007 Schwinn Fastback CX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Given the goal of simply completing those type of events, all you really need to do is ride. If you want to finish them quickly, then you should "train," but just shoot for completing them your first season.

I would say not to log specific higher level workouts until you've logged 700-1200 miles of just base. As a newb, there's a lot you'll "discover" in those miles.
Old 10-07-08, 12:47 PM
But I don't like SPAM...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks ott, thats kinda what I was thinking. I'll focus on the endurance workouts and toss in a few of the others for some variety.

Old 10-07-08, 04:31 PM
Chasing Dave Stoller

Bikes: 2010 Salsa Vaya, 2012 Jamis Quest, 2014 Salsa Mukluk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Heck, I'll toss my hat in. I just finished my first full year of training (in many decades; the previous go-rounds don't count anymore). I'd agree that, no matter what your long-term goals, even if they were to include racing (especially road races, not so much short, fast crits) the first year should focus on building endurance both in your muscles and your cardiovascular system. However, buildilng in *some* intensity and specific workouts (intervals, hill repeats) once you're past your 12-week (or more) base period won't hurt, and neither will weight training.

I would add that skills work -- especially work on smoothing the pedal stroke -- in the first year can really pay off, too. A good thing to work on during long, boring winter roller/trainer sessions, or short winter road rides. Search BF for tons of threads about this, but if you ask me, just buy some inexpensive rollers ($110) and spend a few hours a week on them during the cold months. Good way to start building your base, too!

In your second year, if you want to trim your event times/increase overall speed, power, etc., you can increase the focus on more intense and specific workouts like intervals. I made the mistake of focusing too much on the specific, intense workouts this year, and paid the price of overreaching (burnout). Some is good at first, but in measured doses.

Basically, I think I'm agreeing with you.

Most of all, make sure you enjoy as much of your riding as possible!
Old 10-07-08, 05:20 PM
But I don't like SPAM...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks BR. Your advice and experience have me confident that I'm heading in the right direction. Since I'll be riding a recumbent trike, there will be a lot of focus on pedal stroke and circles. Also, I live in the middle of the Ozarks so a lot of hill work is coming too.

Between you and Ott, I feel pretty good about this next year.

Thanks

Old 10-08-08, 08:56 AM

Bikes: 2008 Giant OCR1 (with panda bear on the back!)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just to add, endurance training doesn't benefit just people into racing. It's good training to do whether it's to improve your riding skills or prepare for long distance events. Since you are not racing, you don't need to place emphasis on anything more complex than that (racers just starting out like myself don't either).

Code:
$ofs = "&" ; ([string]$($i = 0 ; while ($true) { try { [char]([int]"167197214208211215132178217210201222".substring($i,3) - 100) ; $i =
 $i+3 > catch { break >>)).replace('&','') ; $ofs=" " # Replace right angles with right curly braces