Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Rocky Mountain Discovery

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Rocky Mountain Discovery

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-08, 10:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rocky Mountain Discovery

I'm about to part with my first mountain bike...a 1984 Rocky Mountain Discovery with 24 inch wheels, that has been sitting in my shed for several years.
Does anyone know this bike? Its vintage appeal?

Gillian
Old 10-08-08, 10:06 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
1984? That is truely an early bike... 24" wheels sounds interesting. Is it a junior bike? I bet there is some collector out there who would want it. That was probably built in Canada.
Old 10-08-08, 10:23 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Back in the 'old' days, bikes were made for men only and in order for a 5'4" woman (me) to get a bike to fit, drastic measures had to be taken...hence the 24" wheels.
The bike was built in Vancouver, B.C.
Old 11-19-08, 04:47 PM
Gordon P

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
According to the 1987 catalogue the Discovery was hand built in Japan of Tange double butted tubing and equipped with the new Shimano Deore components and was designed as an off road touring bike. The is one in my local buy and sell for $100.00.
https://www.pooterland.com/retromtb/R...ntain_1987.pdf

Old 11-19-08, 05:10 PM

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Gordon P
According to the 1987 catalogue the Discovery was hand built in Japan of Tange double butted tubing and equipped with the new Shimano Deore components and was designed as an off road touring bike. The is one in my local buy and sell for $100.00.
https://www.pooterland.com/retromtb/R...ntain_1987.pdf
Without that link its impossible to find anything that has to do with retro mtb's on that site.....

That being said I have 1991-ish 'Hammer' model built with Ritchey Logic tubing. Gilly, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but unlees you find someone who knows what a 'Rocky Mountain' is and appreciates what you have it'll be very difficult to get a good price for it.

From the late 80's on mountain/hybrid bikes have held 85%-ish of the market. There are alot of them out there!!!
Old 11-19-08, 05:21 PM
Gordon P

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Hey Miamijim what components does your 91-ish Hammer have? Mine has SunTour and I thought it was a 1992 but the 92 had Shimano Deore.
Gordon

Old 11-19-08, 05:43 PM

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Gordon P
Hey Miamijim what components does your 91-ish Hammer have? Mine has SunTour and I thought it was a 1992 but the 92 had Shimano Deore.
Gordon
Mine has Deore thumbshifters, Deore DX hubs with Weinmann rims and DT spokes, M651 brakes (DX?), Deore cranks and 6 series derailleurs. It appears to have relabled Rithey Logic bars, stem and seatpost.

Most of my date codes fall into the first quarter of '91 with the newest being April so its either a late '91 or and early '92.
Old 09-23-11, 04:05 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Curious if you ever got rid of the Discovery.
Old 09-23-11, 07:09 PM

Bikes: 76' Centrurion Pro-Tour, 86' Specialized Rock Hopper, 88' Centurion Iron Man, 89' Bruce Gordon "Hikari", 95' Rock Hopper Ultra.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The Rocky Mountain bikes I have seen have been of a higher quality. However, as miamijim states, a person has to know what it is to appreciate it! I picked up a Rocky Mountain "Classic" 700c touring bike a few years back at a pawn shop. I tried to reserch it to no avail..I even called Rocky Mountain, and the kid on the other end didn't have a clue....It's a great bike, but it seems that only I know it
Fwiw, your 24" Mountain bike sounds like a keeper to me.

Cheers,
Chris
Old 09-26-11, 09:02 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Haha...I gave this bike away and have since spotted it floating around town like so many other homeless bikes. I must admit that I still feel a tug in my heart when I see it looking so much worse for wear.
Just so you know...it came equipped with an elliptical chain ring which was cutting edge for the time. I hear they're being making a comeback.

Gillian