Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Training, Coaching, and Spinning, oh My!

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-08, 04:32 PM
Jack of all (bike) trades

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker for Touring, Motobecane Immortal Force for road racing, Old Trek 2300 for time trials, Specialized Hardrock for getting over rocks and through mud and snow

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey guys, I'm looking for advice regarding training in general, and spinning in particular. Sorry in advance for the length of this post, but thanks in advance for any help!

I started a cycling team at my school last April, and the 10 or so of us on the team were all first time racers. We had a fantastic time, and did better than we had hoped. Now that we've got a bit of experience under our belt, we're taking things a bit more seriously.

I've never been one to "train" in the past. I just rode for fun, although I find long distances, big hills, and heavy effort a lot of fun. Now that I've got a team to look after, it's time for training. The spring collegiate season starts the beginning of March. From November to the end of February (and sometimes more) riding outside is impractical due to snow, ice, and salt on the roads. Now I've got no problem toughening up myself (in fact, I commute 10 miles each way to school, through blizzards and whatnot) but I can't ask the other guys to go on regular training rides in this weather. We've convinced the school to let us use the spinning room twice a week.

So we have access to spin bikes and a really good gym. But none of us really know how to train. Can you guys recommend any specific training books that you've used with good results? I'm looking for a good weight routine that compliments biking.

Also, I'm going to "lead" our spinning sessions, since we can't afford to hire an instructor. But I know spinning is more than just pedalling the bike.

Any advice on a good book or two which outline training routines with specific info on weight lifting and spinning? <---I suppose I could have shortened the post to that line, but I wanted you guys to know where we're coming from. We're a bunch of newbies...
Old 10-09-08, 01:25 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
This is easy.

First, one of you needs a spinning certification. Go to www.spinning.com for information on how to get certified. They'll give you the information onhow to teach, how to put together profiles, how to train for different types of objectives (base building, speed, strength, etc.), and how to put together music for your profiles. It's not the greatest certification in the world, but it will at least legitimize what you are trying to do and give you some education so you're not in there just rolling out your legs and yelling to music.

Why not just take the classes? I don't understand why someone who doesn't know how to teach is going to lead a class when you have perfectly fine spin instructors (I assume!) at the gym. Plus, not knowing how to properly use the bikes would cause a problem with me. I run two programs at two different gyms. I now lock the rooms for one of the gyms and put the bikes away in the other. There is simply no circumstance where we allow uncertifed, unsupervised people to spin on bikes- which is another reason why I suggest that one of you get certified.

As far as books, try the Sally Edwards books. They are all about heart rate monitor training. Start with "The Heart Rate Monitor Book". It's an easy to read book, not very many pages, and a quick read. Once you've read that, then go for her book "The Heart Rate Monitor Book for Outdoor and Indoor Cyclists". I also recommend highly books by Ed Burke. You can start with "Serious Cycling". Finally, if you can get through the technical books, I suggest Tudor Bompa. He is the most respected authority on periodized training (I'd pick him over Friel, though Friel is good also). Bompa has a book called "Periodization". I believe he also has a book called "Periodization for Strength Training" or something like that. Bompa's books are excellent.

All those books should get you pretty far ahead with the spinning certification. Good luck.

koffee
Old 10-09-08, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You live in San Jose and you have " snow, ice, and salt on the roads?"

You can call some of the LBS and see it anyone there is into leading. Lots of LBS have evening sessions where ppl show up with their bikes and trainers and do a "group/training ride." Since it sounds like you have a place maybe someone in the shop would be into training with you guys. This is a good way to build a relationship with the shop as well for potential sponsorship.
Old 10-09-08, 12:05 PM
50000 Guatts of power

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
get some spinervals dvds and use them yourself

and then make up your own version of a spinerval workout you can use

or contact spinervals and ask how do you go about licensing the dvd for group use

there really is not a better spin workout than something coach troy can do

as koffee recommends, if this is becoming a real deal, you have to be certified or you will be liable
if someone plops over on you and you aren't CPR trained or haven't got the right waiver signed.
by leading a class you accept legal responsibility for the health of the participants to a certain degree. you
need to know when to evaluate your members, have doctor permission slips, and have them slow down, check heart rate, call 911....

Last edited by 127.0.0.1; 10-09-08 at 12:09 PM.
Old 10-09-08, 02:03 PM
Jack of all (bike) trades

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker for Touring, Motobecane Immortal Force for road racing, Old Trek 2300 for time trials, Specialized Hardrock for getting over rocks and through mud and snow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Guys, thanks for the help so far!

I'm not interested in taking the classes for a number of reasons:
1) We are all students, and the spinning classes offered don't fit into everyone's class schedule.
2) I'm looking for a workout specifically as training for racing. I'd like to be able to tailor it to work on specific weaknesses. I can't comment on the appropriateness of current classes, however, since I've never been in one
3) This is going to be a team workout, and I think if it were just the ten of us in the room it would be good teambuilding as well. With a full classroom, the team feel is lost.
4) The classes cost money ($50/person). This may not sound like much, but we're all broke college students. If we can do the same thing for free (and I think we can, I haven't given up), then we will.
5) Lastly, the structured classes are one hour, twice a week. When changing time and everything is taken into account, it's less than 45 min/class, so 90 min/week. I was hoping for a 90 minute workout each time.

And I didn't really mention it, but since the gym is part of the school, the classes are like physical education classes, not just classes offered at the local health club. Some people will be in them just to get the credit.

I'm in San Jose right now for an internship, but I return to Rochester, NY to start classes again on December 1st. Just in time (or maybe a little late) for the snow to start. I wasn't so much worried about the weather in San Jose

We've got relationships with a couple local shops, but as far as I know, nobody offers anything worth our while. I'm also looking to keep the training on campus. Some guys have no real way to get even 3 or 4 miles off campus in the winter.

Koffee, I'll definitely look into some of those books you mentioned. I was all for the idea of getting certified myself, but the only program I could find in my area was a $300 course which didn't even mention certification... So I thought I'd take matters into my own hands.

I'm not familiar with spinerval DVD's. What's the scoop?

And officially I'm not liable for anyone else. We're using the spinning room as a team, and signing wavers to RIT (my school). I wouldn't really be teaching the class so much as leading a session. And "lead" in the same way I "lead" practice.

Sorry for the long-windedness again. I really do appreciate the help!

Any info regarding weight training?