Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Why I Hate My Lbs

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.
View Poll Results: Do you support your local bike shop?
Yes, let them do everything!!!
19.05%
No, I am my own mechanic buy products elsewhere!!!
14.29%
Kinda, buy some little things!!!
66.67%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Why I Hate My Lbs

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-04, 11:02 AM
Sport Class Racer

Bikes: 2003 Leader Bike LD 515 <----race bike, 1991 Cannondale SR 400, Haro Escape 8.3(dead, will revive to ride urban on),2003 Ironhorse Hollowpoint Expert, Random Frames and BMX stuff

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why I Hate My Lbs

Montgomery Cyclery is a bike shop located on Dixie Hwy. in Northern KY. My friend were wanting to go on a bike ride on Saturday, March 15. We knew we didn't have an isis bb tool. We decided to take it to the over priced, customer service down the crapper bike shop. It would take 2 min. to put on a bb. But they wanted to make a profit which makes sense, so they charged us $10.00 usd. I was angered by this because my father had his bb installed by the bike shop for free. Just because I am not a rich cyclist it dosen't mean I don't deserve the same respect as another cyclist. I am very angered at them. We put the bike in on Thursday and it sn't done yet. They aren't swamped or anything. It really tries my nerves that they would be so unprofessional around me just because I don't buy a $2000.00 bike yearly, like somepeople who are employed. I am only 15 years old. Why should I have to put up with their crap?!?!?! I hate that cycle shop, I am getting my own truing stand, and I am getting an isis bb tool. Never again will I use that bike shop for anything more than tubes, or cables.

!WHAT HAPPENED TO YOUR FRIENDLY NEIGHBORHOOD BIKE SHOP?
Old 03-13-04, 11:53 AM
Aquatics Master

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Their ain't any left. Go buy your stuff online, tell all ur friends, make them go bankrupt. Or support another one in the area. But i could careless about supporting local bike shops since all mine are ****ty and run by students whos managers don't care if you complain about them.
Old 03-13-04, 12:21 PM
Sport Class Racer

Bikes: 2003 Leader Bike LD 515 <----race bike, 1991 Cannondale SR 400, Haro Escape 8.3(dead, will revive to ride urban on),2003 Ironhorse Hollowpoint Expert, Random Frames and BMX stuff

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
apparently my shop threaded it in crooked and now will have to be replaced
Old 03-13-04, 01:24 PM
Yo

Bikes: 2003 Yeti AS-R, 2018 Waltly ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
They are not all bad, I do business with a select few that are run by friends or ones that support local racing. I know I would hate to be in competition with the jenson's and the pricepoint's, etc for parts sales. But let me know the next time you see someone being sponsored on the local or even regional level by any of the online retailers. Look around and support the shop that supports racing, or trail building, or even the one that has active riders who work there. We need to support those shops when we can, even if their prices are a little high. The shops that rob people will not stay in business in today's climate anyway.

By the way, if you're BB shell is stripped you are likely out a frame, maybe you can squeeze them for a new ride. Good luck...
Old 03-13-04, 04:42 PM

Bikes: 08 Stumpjumper FSR Expert, 02 Litespeed Tuscany, 04 Specialized S-Works Epic

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm confused. You asked them to perform a service for you, for which they are in business to make money. They charged you a nominal fee of $10. You're outraged at that??? WTF?

If you spend $2000 yearly, they can afford to take a few minutes to install a BB for free because they're already making a profit from doing business with you. If you walk in off the street, they need to charge you. Nothing wrong with that. What's your beef?

Now, if they stripped your frame, they need to make it right. That's a whole different story. But to charge you is wrong? How in the world do you figure that? When you walk into the record store, do they give you records for free? How about the ice cream shop - do you get a free cone for walking into the store? Do you REALLY expect the world to present you everything you want on a silver platter... at least until you are employed?
Old 03-13-04, 07:04 PM
Now with racer-boy font!

Bikes: 2004 Litespeed Tuscany, Trek 5500, Breezer Storm, Bianchi road bike (fixed)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah, he complained about the $10. But I think his larger beef was that the shop kept his bike for several days.

Bike shop labor averages $8 - $20 or more per hour. If you don't like that, fine do your own work. If the shop bumped other work orders ahead of yours because you are a student that was wrong of them to do that.

Two bike shops in my area and I shop them regularly. Spend on average $200/yr in each. Spend about the same (total) online. I do most of my own repairs and maintenance.

www.eastalabamacycling.org
Old 03-13-04, 07:44 PM
...and bless the trails

Bikes: 02' Jamis Dakar Sport (just built), 05' Trek 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would be happy with the $10, too...personally, I'd have bought the tool myself and screwed up my own threads...

I can't ***** about my LBS's...One disassembled and reassembled by bike so I could paint it for $40.00...they knocked it down cause they chip the paint when I was finished...no big deal, but I woulda gladly paid the $60/$80 they originally wanted...I didn't have the tools at the time, so it would have been worth it...

Taking too long is another issue...but what's the whole story...did ya take it in on Thursday and want it Saturday or Monday??? Weekends are always crazy and simple tasks will get overlooked because of walk-ins/incoming stock/general madness...

Before you go and badmouth em' too bad...think about your other choices...don't burn a bridge until you're sure you've got more bridges to get back home...
Old 03-13-04, 08:01 PM
opinionated SOB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeOK
support the shop that supports racing,
If my local shop started supporting races I would stop going there.
Old 03-13-04, 08:23 PM
Yo

Bikes: 2003 Yeti AS-R, 2018 Waltly ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cycletourist

Dude you took what I said completely out of context. If you're gonna quote me quote everything. Now this thread's gonna take off on ten different tangents other than how it started and it's gonna look like I started it.

From what I said earlier, take your pick but I bet you can find some good qualities in some shop near you. And support them because of that, wether it be racing, trail advocay, free beenie hats when you get a new road tube, whatever...
Old 03-13-04, 08:31 PM
Wood Licker

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX 8 27.5 +, 2002 Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cycletourist
Curious, why? It means they are at the grassroutes and are typically ACTUALLY riders. I hate walking into shops where the guy are obviously just hired help that happen to ride bikes once and a while. I would much rather talk to someone who know what abuse is. (racing road, bmx or dh...racing is abuse)...
Old 03-13-04, 08:34 PM
Wood Licker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeOK
From what I said earlier, take your pick but I bet you can find some good qualities in some shop near you. And support them because of that, wether it be racing, trail advocay, free beenie hats when you get a new road tube, whatever...
Ditto...if and when I buy from a shop (shops here are upwards of 50% more expensive than in the city) they have to support the grassroutes of riding. Building, advocacy and racing...if they don't I won't bring my money there. The ironic thing is the shops that don't offer these supports usually know nothing and are no better than a supply shop instead of a real bike shop. (I have yet to find an exception to that rule, there are 4 shops I refuse to walk into)

I also know of two online shops that support racing and you can actually meet and encounter them. Online shops can be mom and pop organizations too
Old 03-13-04, 08:37 PM
Wood Licker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GT_ATB32
!WHAT HAPPENED TO YOUR FRIENDLY NEIGHBORHOOD BIKE SHOP?
They need to make money, made a mistake, admitted it and fixed the problem, correct? Doesn't sound like a problem to me. Maybe the shop the sold the part to your dad has a bigger profit on the part and can justify the free install.

I usually have to spend 30$ to get a headset or bb installed, UNLESS, I go to the shop where I payed 6000$ for my bikes and parts. Then little stuff is free if I make sure to bring it up.
Old 03-13-04, 09:23 PM
GT enthusiast

Bikes: 2003 GT i- drive 1.0, 1998? GT ricochet,1999 Schwinn Homegrown Factory, 19?? Marin Eldridge Grade full rigid SS MTB, 1998 GT Karakoram my "town/cruiser" bike, 1999 Klein Quantum Race, 1977 Raleigh Super Course fixie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You really need another catagory for your poll. I buy most of my parts at the LBS but do all my own work. They understand that and give me a great price on parts cause I buy so much from them. Once in a while I buy online, but not every time. I like my LBS and I ride with them often so it's all good. They treat me good because I buy from them, and send others to them for parts and service.

The 10 bucks sounds real cheap, and the wait could have reasons behind it that you don't know about. Did they promise it back in a certain amount of time? If so and they didn't get it to you, then you have a complaint, but still nothing to get all bent out of shape over. It's a business and things happen just like in every business. Maybe if you be kind to them, they will make it right for you on the next visit.

It just sounds like you may be jumping to conclusions before you should to me.

"Life is too short to drink cheap beer"
Old 03-13-04, 09:32 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I install my own stuff within reason. I don't press headset cups or anything like that if it requires special tools or any sort of precision. People who know my wrenching skills will probably agree that I'm a bit ghetto about it at times.

Old 03-13-04, 10:11 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I buy most my stuff online and install it myself. I usually do everything except install headsets and forks, I pay them to do that, that way when they screw it up they have to buy me a new fork. If I did it and screwed up, what would I do? I really got sick of taking my bike in after and incedent I had last fall. My bike wasn't shifting properly, so I took it in and specifically asked the mechanic to check and make sure my derailer hanger wasn't bent, nothing more, that is all I wanted. So I come back the next day and he hands me a bill for $130! Turns out he took it upon him self to remove my brand new cassette and chain and install new ones, that and he kept my old ones. I argued that I had just installed the brand new chain and cassette yesterday, he said I was nuts and that they were worn out. I almost hit him, but restrained myself, then I told him he better put my parts back on and take his crap off right away (he put on a really lowend cassette and chain). My other LBS is really no better, they have screwed me over a fair number of times too. I buy most things online, but some stuff like helmets and things I need right away, I buy them at the shop. They tend to ignore me when I come in, even though I probably spend $500+ a year there and I've bought $6000 worth of bikes from them in the last two years, apparently I'm not good enough. So all my purchases are mostly online now, it's far cheaper anyway, even with exchange and duty for Canada.
Old 03-13-04, 11:17 PM

Bikes: Brodie Infinity 2003 (stolen) / Brodie Holeshot 2004

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my local shop here been really help full to me so far, and I got many little things for free too, tubes, brake pads etc etc.

I really like being in good term with a LBS that way they're always providing good service.

just like this week I pop by my LBS check out if they have the bike I want to buy, they don't so I ask them if they can order one, the guy there without a hitch calls Brodie and spends a good 20-25 minutes of the phone as we try to find a good fit for me and all. Then I tell him I need the bike within a week. No problem at all I even got the bike without the tax. now that's service
Old 03-14-04, 07:25 AM
Pain Cleanseth

Bikes: On*One Imbred (commuter), Specialized Rockcombo(commuter)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Moonshot
Bike shop labor averages $8 - $20 or more per hour. If you don't like that, fine do your own work.
So it takes that shop an hour to install a bottom bracket? LBS suck, they act like they are a bunch of rocket scientists that have some special gift. They scare you into thinking what they do is hard, its not. I monkey could do it. I use to think car mechanics where over payed for their knowledge.
Old 03-14-04, 08:01 AM
blithering idiot

Bikes: 1991 Trek 930, 2005 Bianchi Eros, 2006 Nashbar "X," IRO Rob Roy

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i have yet to find a bad shop in my area; hell, one shop (i was just hanging out and looking around) offered to put together a new bike in my size for a test ride, and they knew i wasn't buying. all the shops around here are staffed by people that ride, so i think that makes a big difference.
Old 03-15-04, 07:45 PM

Bikes: Devinci Guzzler, 04 Canadian version

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
being 15 was not to your advantage.they can see that you have a limited income.its human nature to gravitate to a larger sale potential especially when so many young riders(and their parents) are just looking for ways to get walmart prices on good stuff.i agree that bike shops are not what they used to be but they did not used to have to compete with the mega stores like today.there are even mega bike shops now like dicks etc.and they are no different than going to walmart.i have found a shop that i will support simply because he is close,cares,does not treat me like i am just a wallet to be emptied with no sense just dollars and if they go under the only ones left will be the crappy ones.as was stated in the last post name names.word of mouth is the best way to get noticed or get them to straighten up.$10 is a good price for a bb install,maybe thats why they so cheap(slow and bad service) keep looking you will find a shop that is good or maybe you can start your own as a part time endeavor to make money so you can go in a shop and when they treat you like crap you can have the satisfaction of knowing you are there by choice and not necesity
Old 03-16-04, 06:22 AM

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
treating customers with dignity is one thing, but you really can't expect free $hit when you walk into a bike shop with your broke @$$ bike. i learned this through trial and error =]
Old 03-16-04, 06:58 AM
Carbon Fiber Nazi!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by skiahh
I'm confused. You asked them to perform a service for you, for which they are in business to make money. They charged you a nominal fee of $10. You're outraged at that??? WTF?

If you spend $2000 yearly, they can afford to take a few minutes to install a BB for free because they're already making a profit from doing business with you. If you walk in off the street, they need to charge you. Nothing wrong with that. What's your beef?

Now, if they stripped your frame, they need to make it right. That's a whole different story. But to charge you is wrong? How in the world do you figure that? When you walk into the record store, do they give you records for free? How about the ice cream shop - do you get a free cone for walking into the store? Do you REALLY expect the world to present you everything you want on a silver platter... at least until you are employed?
LOL! I was all getting ready to say exactly this and then I read this reply. This is right on target, they are there to make a living. The main bike shop I use treats me like royalty because I spent over $7000 on bikes there last year. One time I called and had them set some stuff aside for me to come get (they are over an hour and a half away) and told them I would be there later (forgot they closed early on saturday at 6pm, 50 minutes from when I called). I drove up at 6:45pm and there was my guy in the closed bike store waiting for me.

Funniest thing is that my guy at the bike store treated me really well before I ever bought anything at all. But of course he wasnt about to spend time doing things for free until I plopped down a wad of cash on something. I choose this store for lots of reasons, selection, price, etc. Mainly though I choose the salesman and havent regretted it once.
Old 03-16-04, 07:04 PM
Sport Class Racer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
skiahh said

"I'm confused. You asked them to perform a service for you, for which they are in business to make money. They charged you a nominal fee of $10. You're outraged at that??? WTF?

If you spend $2000 yearly, they can afford to take a few minutes to install a BB for free because they're already making a profit from doing business with you. If you walk in off the street, they need to charge you. Nothing wrong with that. What's your beef?"

I dont likethe fact that they do it for my dad for free just because he is an adult. I spend more mone in that shop then he does, they treat me the way they do b/c i am a minor
Old 03-16-04, 07:11 PM
Sport Class Racer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I see what all of u are saying but my whole point is almost every time i go in there w/o my dad they treat me like crap b/c i am a student. They have no respect for me and i am most likely a much better cyclist than all of them.
Old 03-16-04, 07:13 PM
Sport Class Racer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bike is at my house now after two weeks. they said they would have it by the weekend but it took two weeks. but i dk now. i am getting an isis bb tool and i won't ever see that shop again, except for tubes, rotors, and pads
Old 03-16-04, 07:24 PM
Still kicking.

Bikes: Bike Count: Rising.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
Me, I do all of my work since I am a lbs employee.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.