Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Mountain Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Where do I Start My Racing Career

Search
Notices
Mountain Bike Racing Discuss pro racing, the big races, and even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-04, 07:17 PM
Sport Class Racer

Bikes: 2003 Leader Bike LD 515 <----race bike, 1991 Cannondale SR 400, Haro Escape 8.3(dead, will revive to ride urban on),2003 Ironhorse Hollowpoint Expert, Random Frames and BMX stuff

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

How can a 15 yr old student start his xc racing career???? there isn't much racing in my area. My bike is pretty nice, am going to make it better.
I would like to start racing the junior calss in norba.
Info on junior class norba would be helpful!!
i live near cincy, in northere ky. if ne 1 has info on races in this area plz help!!
Old 03-16-04, 09:25 PM
Still kicking.

Bikes: Bike Count: Rising.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
You'll get killed if you start out at the junior level of norba. Start out local, ask the lbs about races in your area, they will be more than happy to help.
Old 03-24-04, 08:53 PM
Speed Racer

Bikes: Marin Quad rift zone, Haro monocoque, K2 amimal, Univega sportour

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I started out at 17 (xc racing), i would start out at a local level if possible. but i wouldnt worry to much about joining NORBA as you gotta start some place right? so all i have to say is do what you can, even if you do get beat left and right.... you WILL get better if you try to. accualy the heavy comp might even tone your skilz a little better or faster as you will be almost forced to

Later
Jonathan
Old 03-24-04, 09:30 PM
Yo

Bikes: 2003 Yeti AS-R, 2018 Waltly ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by danka24
You'll get killed if you start out at the junior level of norba. Start out local, ask the lbs about races in your area, they will be more than happy to help.
That's not necessarilly true, and besides he might just mean a NORBA sanctioned race at the local Junior level. I bet there is a race series in KY, ask at your bike shop, they will know who to contact. Believe it or not most state series' have very good support for the Jr's. In AR (at least last year) there was a bike shop that paid Jr entry fees plus some other support if the kids raced a minumum of 5 races, regardless of finish. In OK it's not as good but most areas support the kids very well. Plus the entry fees are cheaper and the NORBA Jr license is half what the rest of us pay.

Find a race that's close to you and go race. Don't expect much the first time out, it takes time to win races even if you're smokin' fast when you ride alone or with a few of your buds. Racing has it's own challenges that you only learn by doing them. I hope you follow through because racing is probably the funnest thing you can do on two wheels, plus it builds character.

I suggest you do an internet search for mountain bike races in your state and ask at your local bike shop. If you do your homework I bet you find lots of help at your age. Click here for NORBA's Junior information. It's a good time to be a teenager who wants to race. NORBA also has a forum on their site, you might ask this question there and see if there are any local NORBA people who might be able to help you. If nothing else, USA cycling does a very good job supporting the kids.

Good luck!
Old 03-27-04, 10:32 AM
Sport Class Racer

Bikes: 2003 Leader Bike LD 515 <----race bike, 1991 Cannondale SR 400, Haro Escape 8.3(dead, will revive to ride urban on),2003 Ironhorse Hollowpoint Expert, Random Frames and BMX stuff

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
tahnk you all your responses have ben very helpful