Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Jannd Expedition rearrack and Ortliebs backrollar panniers.

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-08, 04:04 PM
Still learning.

Bikes: Surly LHT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Does anybody run this setup and where did you place clips on top rail? Both in close together or spread out? The bottom clip, did you use the top option or the bottom to connect to rack rail? Been playing around with different positions and haven't found one I'm super happy with yet.The Ortliebs are backroller classic.
https://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FREXP
Old 10-17-08, 06:26 PM
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Have no clue...I just bought the Ortliebs, the Jannd racks (front and rear) are still in the shipping box at the house, the bike is in pieces and I am 500 miles away

Let me know what works

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 10-17-08, 11:49 PM
bragi

Bikes: LHT

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Oddly enough, I use a Jandd rack and Ortlieb panniers on my touring (only) bike, and I have the clips on the top rail almost as far apart as I can get them, and the lower clip as low as the rack will allow. My opinion is that you're basically making a triangle with the contact points on the rack, and you want to allow as little play as possible, which is most likely to happen if those contact points are at the, well, points of the triangle. Also, I've found that using #10 inserts on the clips at the top rail allow for a lot less rattling. I had #11s on for a long while, and that turned out to be a fairly bad choice.
Old 10-18-08, 09:20 AM
Still learning.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bragi
Oddly enough, I use a Jandd rack and Ortlieb panniers on my touring (only) bike, and I have the clips on the top rail almost as far apart as I can get them, and the lower clip as low as the rack will allow. My opinion is that you're basically making a triangle with the contact points on the rack, and you want to allow as little play as possible, which is most likely to happen if those contact points are at the, well, points of the triangle. Also, I've found that using #10 inserts on the clips at the top rail allow for a lot less rattling. I had #11s on for a long while, and that turned out to be a fairly bad choice.
Mine just came with 4 of the #11mm inserts and 4 of the #8mm inserts.I guess I will just use tape or something to build up size.
Old 10-18-08, 02:48 PM
bragi

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mwl6464
Mine just came with 4 of the #11mm inserts and 4 of the #8mm inserts.I guess I will just use tape or something to build up size.
I got the #10s at my LBS, where I got the panniers; they sold them to me for $1.75 or something.
Old 10-19-08, 02:03 PM
Still learning.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bragi
I got the #10s at my LBS, where I got the panniers; they sold them to me for $1.75 or something.
Called REi about the size #10mm inserts and they didn't show any on there computer just the#11 and #8's and they checked Ortliebs page. I just went ahead and used tape to build up diameter. The #8mm were to small and #11mm were too big, but tape made it just rite.
Old 10-19-08, 07:59 PM
bragi

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mwl6464
Called REi about the size #10mm inserts and they didn't show any on there computer just the#11 and #8's and they checked Ortliebs page. I just went ahead and used tape to build up diameter. The #8mm were to small and #11mm were too big, but tape made it just rite.
Serious bike shops appear to have them (not anything against REI, it's just that they're not exclusively a bike shop). My bike shop has inserts in a big jar on their parts counter. Here's a site I found that has them, though you have to buy the whole strap assembly along with the inserts:

https://www.wallbike.com/ortlieb/accessories.html

BTW, the Ortlieb USA people seem a little questionable....