Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Has anyone tried this?

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Has anyone tried this?

Old 10-18-08, 07:05 PM

Bikes: recumbent, mtn bike, road bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Has anyone tried this?

Converting a touring bike into a single speed?

Why you might ask?

For commuting.

I am thinking of buying a Fuji touring bike at my LBS and having them make it a single speed. NB, that this touring bike has horizontal rear dropouts (not very long so it wouldn't have enough travel for a flip flop but one ss would work, we think).

It would provide

Stable geometry.

comfy ride (steel frame)

fenders

and wouldn't have to worry about pannier/heel clearance.

and prevent toe overlap.

The other ss options would be to buy a San Jose or build up a Surly Cross Check.

I love SS riding but need a road worthy foul weather set up

Thanks
Old 10-18-08, 07:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
NO but I am on it. Sounds like a good idea.
Old 10-18-08, 07:11 PM
surly old man

Bikes: IRO Mark V, Karate Monkey half fat, Trek 620 IGH, Cannondale 26/24 MTB, Amp Research B3, and more.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 18 Posts
I think it is pretty common actually. Unless the commute is hilly, it really makes sense to simplify the bike as much as possible to increase its reliability.

And, even with short dropouts you can probably still get away with a one or two tooth difference on each side of a flip-flop. Each tooth adds 1/2 inch of chain. Half on the top half of the loop, half on the bottom, so each tooth requires 1/4 inch of drop. I bet your drops are longer than 1/4 inch.

jim
Old 10-18-08, 07:27 PM
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by UberIM
Converting a touring bike into a single speed?

Why you might ask?

For commuting.

I am thinking of buying a Fuji touring bike at my LBS and having them make it a single speed. NB, that this touring bike has horizontal rear dropouts (not very long so it wouldn't have enough travel for a flip flop but one ss would work, we think).

It would provide

Stable geometry.

comfy ride (steel frame)

fenders

and wouldn't have to worry about pannier/heel clearance.

and prevent toe overlap.

The other ss options would be to buy a San Jose or build up a Surly Cross Check.

I love SS riding but need a road worthy foul weather set up

Thanks
This is pretty much what any old road frame conversion is going to be as well. Assuming it has all the eyelets/stuff that makes a commuter a commuter.
Old 10-18-08, 07:46 PM
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by jgedwa
I think it is pretty common actually. Unless the commute is hilly, it really makes sense to simplify the bike as much as possible to increase its reliability.

And, even with short dropouts you can probably still get away with a one or two tooth difference on each side of a flip-flop. Each tooth adds 1/2 inch of chain. Half on the top half of the loop, half on the bottom, so each tooth requires 1/4 inch of drop. I bet your drops are longer than 1/4 inch.

jim
Your best case scenario assumes that the axle is all they way forward or back, in one of the positions for your 1/4" calculation. This is obviously not going to be the case for 99% of the gearing setups out there.