Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

damaged chainring on delivery part 2

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-08, 07:12 PM

Bikes: Bianchi San Jose, Dahon Mu Uno, Origami Wasp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 15 Posts

Sorry to start a new thread about the same subject but I had a new question I was afraid no one would see. The Jetstream P8 came with a bent chainring and bash guard, and on further inspection, a bent spider. I should get a replacement crank set within a couple of days.

Is there anything else I need to worry about that I can't see? Could the bottom bracket be damaged?

I'm bringing it to my lbs so it's fixed right. Should I ask them to check anything else? Looking at the bike, it all looks fine. But I'm worried about hidden damage.
Old 10-18-08, 09:25 PM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Bent spider means big force. Very carefully tap the frame to listen for dull spots which may indicate cracking. Not that all places will ring like a bell but it may be of benefit. Visual inspection everywhere, especially the welds, with magnifier. Better to be safe than sorry. Forks straight?
Old 10-19-08, 09:20 AM

I've looked over the bike, and it all looks fine. I still need to check the welds with a magnifier though. The forks are straight and the wheels spin true.

I think what happened was that when the bike is folded, the chainring sticks out farther than the seatpost. If the bike was sitting in the box with that pointed up, and some other heavy box was placed on it, the chainring and bash guard bent and the part of the spider where the bolts are inserted. (that's what I can see anyway) That's where the bend stopped. I think the bolts stopped it all from bending completely.

I think I'm just going to get the bike fixed once I get the parts and then ride it. If I'm not happy then, I'll send it back to the seller. He's a nice guy and I'm pretty sure I'll have no problems.
Old 10-23-08, 06:33 AM

OK, so just to finish the story, I took the crank and the bike to my lbs and he fixed it in a few minutes. He adjusted a few other things, the derailler was really out of adjustment and adjusted the brakes. I took the bike home to ride it and although the ride was great, the bike rattled like you wouldn't believe. And I don't me just when it hit a big bump. I mean any little road deviation caused a rattle like the bike was about to come apart. I could not figure out what the heck it was, as nothing was loose, so the bike is going back. It's too expensive to mess with anymore.

The seller is taking it back without any fuss. And I'm not buying anything else for now. I am going to stick with my curve and just upgrade it. Maybe a thudbuster. I can't be bothered dealing with another bike right now!
Old 10-23-08, 12:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The rattle wouldn't be the magnets by any chance?
Old 10-23-08, 03:03 PM

No, I took a good look at that as a possibility. It was the first thing I thought of too.