Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Coppi / Forelli Frame Info Needed

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Coppi / Forelli Frame Info Needed

Old 10-20-08, 06:33 PM

Bikes: yikes, too many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Coppi / Fiorelli Frame Info Needed

(edit: I noticed I spelled the name Fiorelli wrong in the title. I can't change it!)

I put my Colnago frame up for sale on Craigslist (the frame is a re-paint that isn't my size - don't swing bats - I didn't repaint it!) and someone contacted me with the following frame that happens to be too big for him and is my size. We spoke briefly about a swap. He said he bought the frame new in 1974 (or around then) and built it up himself. He bought it from an importer who brought it in from Italy. It has been basically unridden in the last 10 years. The swap would be just for the frames. I wish it included those components!

In any case, can anyone tell me about these frames? He said it was Columbus double-butted so I assume this would be SL (1970's - double butted). Can you tell anything else from these photos?

There is some pitting in the chrome but it looks fairly nice. I have no idea what the build quality of these frames are. I have never owned a road bike this old.

Any help is highly appreciated.

Guy

High Res: https://tinyurl.com/5tmtbl

Last edited by guygadois; 10-20-08 at 06:43 PM.
Old 10-20-08, 08:31 PM
tuz

Bikes: Eight homemade, three very dusty

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
I've got a 80s Coppi track bike, from an homonymous shop in Montreal who imported those frames. I've seen a few in mtl and TO.
Here's a doc about the Fiorelli shop from equus bike.

From what I can tell those are nice bikes. Yours looks in excellent condition, with I believe Record parts and nice milling on the crank.

Coppis are still made, but from another shop in Italy who bought the name.

Last edited by tuz; 10-20-08 at 08:44 PM.
Old 10-20-08, 11:26 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 350 Posts
I recall Al Stillers Sauganash Cyclery in Chicago had a few Coppies in '74. They sold for around $450 back then. Not bad for a Campy equipped bike. Nice bikes.
Old 10-21-08, 11:51 AM

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Well, the condition of this frame looks good but I am not sure it is a great quality build. Anyone else wish to comment on the quality of these frames (please note that I wouldn't get the components)

Guy
Old 10-21-08, 12:02 PM

Bikes: Motobecane Mirage fixed gear, Nashbar Alpha Road 5000, Bianchi Grizzly, Coppi Fiorelli, , Schwinn Trike, , GT All Terra, Old Peugeot, Nishiki 3 speed, Bugatti, Cannondale Black Lightning, Dura All, Bianchi Touring, Bridgestone T700 & more

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I have a vinatge Coppi.....Nice ride. It's a bit big for me so I've only ridden it a couple times. It weighs 20.5 lbs in a 56cm frame size which isn't bad at all. Mine has a mixture of parts. Some Campy NR, Galli, Modolo and Cinelli. I think the frame quality is pretty darn good too. Nicely filed lugs and clean brazing.

Check out my bike blog!
Old 10-21-08, 12:24 PM
tuz

Bikes: Eight homemade, three very dusty

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Mine seems of good quality. Did not inspect it closely (it's not with me now) nor did I ride it much yet. But the long tapered lugs with cutouts (rounds and hearts), spooned seatstay caps and tiny rear bridges (it's for the track) lead me to believe its from an good builder.

Look at the lugs and see if they are filed down at their edges or if they remain thick. Look at the joints between tubes and dropouts/rear bridges and look for smooth transitions. Should be indications of quality. You can show closer pics of those sections if you want.
Old 10-21-08, 12:49 PM

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
The Coppi's and or Fiorelli's I like have the built up fork crown, like a Raleigh tubular fork, just all fillet brazed together, medallions at the end of the cross tube on either side. A production bike, but had the thoughtful touches of brass filled in seat lug binder ears, as seen on upper end small builder frames from Italy.

A bit of a dark horse in the USA, not many imported. The smaller sizes from the 60's share geometry very close if not the same to a Cinelli of the period.
Old 10-22-08, 12:48 PM

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
More photos. What do you think?

What tubing is this?

Old 10-22-08, 02:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's hard for me to tell much about the frame quality from the pics. The paint looks to be decent for a bike of that vintage, and it's a handsome machine. It would be an interesting challenge rebuilding it with correct parts.
Old 10-22-08, 07:35 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 350 Posts
Just the image of IL CAMPIONISSIMO and I'm sold.
Old 10-22-08, 07:57 PM

Bikes: '87 Serotta Colorado,'96 Moots VaMoots, Bertoni MAX, Eddy Merckx Grand Prix Team USA

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 146 Posts
I owned a Fiorelli built with Columbus Aelle tubing, it was a very nice riding bike - although a bit heavy. The lug work was really well done, with cut-outs, and the seat stays were pencil thin. The Coppi decal kits are available on ebay, btw.

Old 10-23-08, 09:17 AM
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Liked 626 Times in 280 Posts
I fished a rather humbler Coppi out of the dump a couple of summers back:

The stripped frame and fork are hanging on the wall of the barn waiting for my next trip to Bath Ski and Cycle (aka Bikeman.com) and the last frame table in the State of Maine.

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)